Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scrape!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Dr.Confused is on a distinguished road
Scrape!!!!!

Have any of you ever scraped the portion of your car underneath the front spoiler? I just did yesterday and I can't get that noise out of my head. I felt underneath the vehicle and my brand new 2009 Boxster S will never be the same!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 PM
InrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud ofInrevInc has much to be proud of
I do it every day in my R8. Thankfully it's a part that can be replaced so it's not the end of the world. It never gets easier...

Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 AM
vroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of lightvroom is a glorious beacon of light
Are you sure its the bottom of the bumper that scrape. It might be the flap just infront of the wheels. I always scrape mine but its flexible and easily replaceable.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Sadly, it IS in fact the bumper. Hopefully tomorrow morning I can muster up the courage to post some pictures so you all can tell me "it's not that bad"..etc.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 AM
ofishbein is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with wearing them proudly as the battle scars they are? No one is really ever going to notice the bottom of your bumper and it's better than having a garage queen that never gets enjoyed.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:22 AM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
i have been scraping my cars on sh*t since 1999

the worst was my Infiniti G35 Sedan that was SO LOW i used the scrape the undercarrige on the ROAD when i had passengers --- people behind me would see sparks!!!! True story.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
well put.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
jderianSF is on a distinguished road
choices

Dr.
You have choices. Park the car and never drive it -- just stare at it in its perfect condition (like we all like to do). That way it'll never get dirty or scratched or . . . used.

Or. . .

Drive it, and park it carefully and enjoy it. You can take precautions like getting a clear bra or something.

Those scrapes are pretty much normal. Some guys put those furniture moving pads (self-stick) down there for protection. If they scrape off, well, their cheap.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I love the support you guys are awesome! I will be posting pictures of my washed car in a bit, as soon as this rain stops and I have an opportunity to clean it.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 PM
mderbish is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dr.Confused
Have any of you ever scraped the portion of your car underneath the front spoiler? I just did yesterday and I can't get that noise out of my head. I felt underneath the vehicle and my brand new 2009 Boxster S will never be the same!!!
WOW! Same thing happened to me on my brand new Boxster last week. 4-5 deep scrapes at the leading edge bumper bottom underside.

Here is what I did: Got some Carrara White touch up paint from the dealer, 1000 and 3000 grid sandpaper, laquer thinner, and polishing compounds (2 grades).

1) Lightly sanded the scrapes w/1000 grid.
2) Touched up the color (very thin layer)
3) 1 coat clear coat.
4) lightly sanded w/3000 grid.
5) 1 coat thinned clear coat.
6) polished with #1 compound.
7) poished with #2 compound.
8) Wax.
9) Looks very near perfect w/o a magnify glass! I'm very happy with the results.
I wish I would have taken a before picture so I could post before and after.

All the above took a week, and it sounds crazy to do on the underside, but I did this to practice for the day when I get a chip or scratch in my hood or fender. Now I know how how to fix scraps/chips safely and with professional results.

Now I'm looking around for some sort of stick on protection pads that can easily replaced. Maybe I and start manufacturing them for sale. I can only find one company that is selling 911 stainless steel spoiler pads.

I've looked at the underside of a few 05-08 boxsters around and they are all scraped up on that leading edge.

-Mike

Old 06-13-2009, 03:27 AM
lolayay is on a distinguished road
It's a nice worry to have It means you are enjoying the car not afraid of driving it out for fun.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
mrfva is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mderbish
Here is what I did: Got some Carrara White touch up paint from the dealer, 1000 and 3000 grid sandpaper, laquer thinner, and polishing compounds (2 grades).

1) Lightly sanded the scrapes w/1000 grid.
2) Touched up the color (very thin layer)
3) 1 coat clear coat.
4) lightly sanded w/3000 grid.
5) 1 coat thinned clear coat.
6) polished with #1 compound.
7) poished with #2 compound.
8) Wax.
9) Looks very near perfect w/o a magnify glass! I'm very happy with the results.
I wish I would have taken a before picture so I could post before and after.

-Mike
Great tips Mike!

Last edited by mrfva; 06-15-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 AM
kscheible is infamous around these partskscheible is infamous around these partskscheible is infamous around these parts
I buy an extra "nose" and have one painted and ready to go. When one gets hammered (really bad), I switch them out myself and get the old one touched up. Its all my mom's fault....but I still love her!