Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing like a good nut kick for the sales team at Susnet Imports

Old 07-04-2009, 12:38 AM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down Nothing like a good nut kick for the sales team at Susnet Imports

The wife wanted to get a larger car so we settled on an Audi A4 with the V6. After the usual back and forth BS, the salesman asked if we wanted to trade in the 2007 Cayman S and we said, sure, make an offer.

The wife's car is a perfect Basalt Black on Black with 11k miles. The tires are in great condition, never tracked, only driven back and forth to work by my wife on nice days. No scratches, just a couple small rock chips on the front apron.

We bought the car from this same dealership. Paid cash.

Sales guy comes back after talking with the 'second guy' about golf or something and let's us know they'd need to put new PS2s on the car and the best they could possibly give is is 'maybe' 36k.

BTW, the #$%@#$ing tires are perfect and do not need to be replaced or I would have done so.

So that's great, a 65k car only worth 'maybe' 36k while at the same time not budging on their Audi because as he said 'times are tough'

Yup, times are tough and Mr.Usedcarmanager just ran off a customer who pays cash and brought a clear title for just in case.

Sorry for the rant...

Old 07-04-2009, 03:31 AM
Jrod250 is on a distinguished road
I can't really say im surprised. Im in the market for an 07 or 08 s and I know that options can really run up the price, but I've seen several s's with teen mileage for mid to high $30. The only investment worse than a car is a boat. I've lost my shirt many times before realizing that if you buy a newer used car with low miles, than the original owner( in this case you) takes the Hit. I know it sucks and pisses you off, but that's the bussiness. Car dealers are businesses and must make money. As far a paying cash goes, a dealer would rather you finance. Dealers make money on people financing through banks that the dealer uses. Don't think that giving a dealer cash is the same as paying cash to a private party, because it's not.

Last edited by Jrod250; 07-04-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:59 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
You'll feel better after you read this.

Confession of a Car Salesman
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Old 07-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
I think the most ridiculous thing about your post is that they said they can't budge on the A4 because times are tough....that is exactly why they should be heavily discounting - because they can't sell cars right now.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 AM
mptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to all
I was a New Car Sales Manager back in the late 90's(no BOO"S Please). Here are my 5 rules in buying a car. I have also given these to my friends and relatives. Stay away from extended warranties, and if your financing it go to your local bank or credit union before hand as you most likely will get screwed by the dealer.

First off: NEVER EVER TRADE IN A CAR!! I mean NEVER. There are too many ways to sell your car. If you don't sell it yourself then Please don't ***** about what your offered. Dealers can go to auction and pick up as many cars as they want at mind blowing cheap prices.
Second: Always bring competition into the equation. It immediately lowers prices and sets the tone that your not a "laydown Larry/whale/Sucker".
Thrid: Do your home work. Find what the market is pricing like vehicles. There is a wealth of sites out there to help you. kbb.com nada.com edmunds.com almost all used cars are marked up at least $3000(min). I like ebay's "completed" auctions.
Fourth:Be nice, but be indifferent. Don't give away any more info than neccessary.
Fifth: Never ever buy the first day. Let the salesperson know you are shopping for the best price, and will make your choice within 2 weeks.

PS, In your case(cash buyer), a dealer would be stupid not to "try" to earn your business. Fill out one of those forms on line that let dealers contact you with their lowest prices. Most dealers will be happy to give you a super deal, especially if your not in their market. Your dealer will still be happy to service your car, as sales and service are two seperate entities.

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-04-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 PM
WVS4 is on a distinguished road
I have a very well taken care of 07 S4 (23k miles) and have been thinking of a Cayman S for track days. I know its not the same as a v6 b8, but if your interested?????

Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 PM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've read all your comments and really appreciate the perspective. I'm more ashamed of myself for not being as prepared as I should have been.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:05 PM
mptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by drh
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've read all your comments and really appreciate the perspective. I'm more ashamed of myself for not being as prepared as I should have been.
Don't get down on yourself. I know it sucks to be all psched to go get a new car and then you run into the slimy salespeople. Remeber, as lazy,creepy and sleezy as some of these salespeople look, they are still trained professionals. Their first goal is to become your friend, gain your trust and then before you know it, you have been robbed. Their mission is to make the most money on the vehicle they can, this includes markup on car, inflated interest rate, extended warranty, accessories and most money is made on stealing your trade in. Try craigslist for a while as its free, but be cautios as criminals have learned how to use craigs list also. News paper in a big city works very well also.

You are already ahead of the game as "CASH IS KING". Use it to your advantage. I would say 1 in 50 customers ever came in and paid cash. Just remember their best offer isn't the best offer. Make a game of it and have fun with it. Oh, and remind them even if they make $100 on the deal, its a $100 he didn't have yesterday.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
mptoledo

BOOOOOOO !!! BOOOOOOO !!!!

Just kidding your post was excellent information for ANY and ALL potential auto purchases .

I also tried trading in My Cayman 8 months ago and was highly Insulted by the dealer i purchased it from and i fananced the car through them as well with 70% down

someone on this site posted everytime I opened my Garage I would have life long feelings of regret and sadness .He was right I started having nightmares so I gutted out the unemployment issue I had and finally got a great job after 6 months

I was trying to purchase a 2009 mazda RX-8 R1 Package and if not for my friends here on 6speed talking me out of it the deal was done . MAN AM I HAPPY I KEPT MY CAYMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Porschepet
BOOOOOOO !!! BOOOOOOO !!!!

Just kidding your post was excellent information for ANY and ALL potential auto purchases .

I also tried trading in My Cayman 8 months ago and was highly Insulted by the dealer i purchased it from and i fananced the car through them as well with 70% down

someone on this site posted everytime I opened my Garage I would have life long feelings of regret and sadness .He was right I started having nightmares so I gutted out the unemployment issue I had and finally got a great job after 6 months

I was trying to purchase a 2009 mazda RX-8 R1 Package and if not for my friends here on 6speed talking me out of it the deal was done . MAN AM I HAPPY I KEPT MY CAYMAN!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily(maybe) i had already went through the myriad of sports car. My 1st was an 1980 MGB ltd. that was a fun car but not very fast. 4 mustangs(3gt's)(fun but generic), corvette conv(damn nice), prelude, stealth(dog) Audi a4(missing something), and most recently Audi A6 turbo. That was the nicest car I have ever owned(leased ). but Now that I have a boxster, I kind of wished I would have started with that, as I would probably still have it.

Luckily I made money on all of them. I totaled the A6(110mph)(walked away) and the insurance co. gave me a $2000 check for appreciation(on a lease ). Got the my 2001 "s" on ebay for $12750 with 56k miles from Cali. I flew out to sanfran and drove it back to ohio(see link below). The car is practically mint. except the ignition problem. I have tried and tried to get under their but at 6'3" and 245, it aint happening. Now I just need a friend with skinny fingers. Next is a new radio or xm sat. My reception sucks.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-i-crazy.html

Old 07-04-2009, 02:57 PM
drh
Nice cross-country-trip thread.
Once a year we drive thru Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana.
The only difference is we leave the mid-engine car home and take the 996TT
And that my friends is a true road-trip car...especially those roads with no speed limit signs.

My dad lives near west Yellowstone in Island Park Idaho, so lodging is free...all we need is food and gas

Old 07-04-2009, 04:49 PM
hey drh, What one of these guys/gals kicked you in the nuts? I was searching their website. http://www.sunsetimports.com/team.php?tid=7

Old 07-04-2009, 05:30 PM
drh
Yes.

The first guy did his job being helpful, friendly, and very informative. I would deal with him again.

Of course we all know what happens when that person goes next door to the preowned manager's office. His greed changed the tone for everyone.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:53 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
trade in value sounds fair. i am seeing 06-08 Cayman S for 46k here and that's asking. just sell it yourself and you can easily make another 3-5k more.

buy the audi with a hard bargain. it's easy to do these days. or, get a slightly used one with factory warranty. audi resell sucks and u can use this to ur advantage.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by drh
Yes.

The first guy did his job being helpful, friendly, and very informative. I would deal with him again.

Of course we all know what happens when that person goes next door to the preowned manager's office. His greed changed the tone for everyone.

The sales people are usually the harmless ones, its the managers that are heartless. If you only knew what was said in the back rooms, it would make you sick. It was dispicable!! That is half the reason I got out of the industry. I would go home at night and no matter what I did I couldn't wash the stench away. The second reason I left was I got wind of how much money was in the mortgage industry. I did that for the last 8 years and I actually felt like I was helping people. The managers are the

Anyways, just go prepared and bring competition into the equation and expect them to drop price 3 or 4 times before you make a decision. A dealer still makes money selling a car under invoice. The get paid by the MFG for the amount of vehicles it sells at the end of the year and their are other hidden things. It is true to go at the end of the month, as they are always trying to rob peter to pay paul and their bonuses are based on volume.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nothing like a good nut kick for the sales team at Susnet Imports