Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S or Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM
PRcarrera is on a distinguished road
Cayman S or Carrera S

Hi guys, i'm new here in the forum, and I really need your help here. The thing is I'm thinking of changing my 2006 cayman S for a 2006 carrera S with 2 more years of warranty with the dealer. Any advices on it ? Pros and cons, performance, brakes, suspension, reliability, interior wise. Help me here guys I haven't decide it yet.

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 07-01-2011, 02:30 AM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Are you adding tons of cash? Do you need a backseat? Why the change?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:58 PM
eperalta is on a distinguished road
Need more details.
For example, how much more is this costing?

Old 07-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
It really depends on the price difference. The Cayman S is a very good car, and so is the Carrera S.....but if it was a lot cheaper to get the Cayman, I'd do that instead.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 AM
mkiv808 is on a distinguished road
I have driven both, including a heavily modified 997 Carrera S. I find the Cayman S to be more connected and fun to drive. The Carrera has the backseat (barely), the 911 mystique and more power. I guess it comes down to what you're looking for. Why not get a new Cayman S if you want a warranty?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:37 AM
socalbreeze will become famous soon enough
I'm all for the 911. Are you guys kidding? We would all do it in a heartbeat if funds permitting.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:52 AM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by socalbreeze
I'm all for the 911. Are you guys kidding? We would all do it in a heartbeat if funds permitting.
Not really...

Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 AM
BoompaSteve is on a distinguished road
I agree with others: too many variables in your question.

I have NOT owned a Carrera S, but having owned a Carrera and a Boxster S i can tell you that as far as fun, connected, responsive I much prefer the Boxster to the Carrera.

Yes- the 911 DOES have a certain mystique; no question.

But the mid-engined cars are just a step up in terms of handling.

In fact, I'm giving heavy consideration to buying a Cayman S (or R) to go with my Boxster S.

My .02

Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
Hoen will become famous soon enough
As a 911 owner and having spent lots of time driving a Cayman S you may end up missing the Cayman - and perhaps suffer a little buyers remorse if a decent chunk of additional $$ is involved as the returns (from the drivers seat) are not going to be noticeable.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Not the case at all. The only 911 I considered when making my decision to get the Cayman was a GT3. It came down to fund at the time - I didnt want to spend the money on a GT3 and therefore went with the Cayman S and have been modding it slowly over time.

To satisfy my 911 desire, I just picked up a 993..which next to a new GT3, was at the top of my list. I remember riding aruond and driving my Dad's 993's when I was in middle and high school and at the time, it was a dream to have my own. Dream -----> reality

Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 AM
EL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the rough
996 GT2 to Cayman S

I had a 996 GT2 and this is my 2nd year of my Cayman S - wouldn't look back. Doesn't have the brutal acceleration of the GT2 but overall a more balanced and rewarding car to drive (both on street and track).

I did set mine up for the track (1/2 cage, Recaros w/6 points, Guard LSD, baffled oil pan, etc.) but my GT2 was also set up.