Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should We Get the Spyder? (So Tempted!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Question Should We Get the Spyder? (So Tempted!)

For a fun convertible third car, we're leaning Porsche, which means Boxster or 911.

With the Boxster, I was thinking S, but there's an incredibly beautiful Spyder at my local showroom which keeps calling to me. So my questions:

- Realistically, how long does it take to install and remove the top, once you've had some practice? And does this process grow old after a while?

- Are you comfortable leaving the top off when parking it in public places? Any concerns or bad experiences with vandalism, theft, bird poop, etc.?

- How does the performance of the Spyder compare with the S? Is the difference truly noticable for spirited driving on public roads? Is the Spyder significantly more fun to drive than the S?

- Any issues with air or water leaks when the roof is on?

- Will most tracks allow the car?

- Anything I missed?

- If you have a Spyder, any regrets? Do you wish you got the S or another Porsche instead?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
bensf1 is on a distinguished road
Short answers.

2 minutes. No.
Yes. No.
Better. Yes. Yes.
No.
Yes.
?.
No.

If it's calling you, go for it. The Spyder is an incredibly fun car.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
ondarza is on a distinguished road
Just picked one up last week and i love it, have to say it is one of the most fun cars i have owned and that list includes other Boxsters, various 911s, Astons and Ferraris.

I have been driving the car with only the primary top and keeping windows up at office and other locations with no issues. Even in the Houston heat with the only the primary top on, windows down and ac on, it is comfortable.

Using car as a dd and the comfort including noise level is not an issue.

I think you will be extremely happy if you decide on the Spyder

Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bensf1
Short answers.

2 minutes. No.
Yes. No.
Better. Yes. Yes.
No.
Yes.
?.
No.

If it's calling you, go for it. The Spyder is an incredibly fun car.
nailed it! The back window piece takes the most time to put on, I can get the sun shade on in less than a minute and that will keep out 90% of the rain..

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
For a fun convertible third car, we're leaning Porsche, which means Boxster or 911.

With the Boxster, I was thinking S, but there's an incredibly beautiful Spyder at my local showroom which keeps calling to me. So my questions:

- Realistically, how long does it take to install and remove the top, once you've had some practice? And does this process grow old after a while?

- Are you comfortable leaving the top off when parking it in public places? Any concerns or bad experiences with vandalism, theft, bird poop, etc.?

- How does the performance of the Spyder compare with the S? Is the difference truly noticable for spirited driving on public roads? Is the Spyder significantly more fun to drive than the S?

- Any issues with air or water leaks when the roof is on?

- Will most tracks allow the car?

- Anything I missed?

- If you have a Spyder, any regrets? Do you wish you got the S or another Porsche instead?

Thanks!
I dont own a Spyder But there is a guy in town that does ,all I see is his white teeth when he passes the other way ...everytime ..dude is grinning ear to ear so that must say something about the new spyder .From what I have heard in all the porsche forums ,clubs and owners is, if you want a convertable ..this is the car to own
If you want a Hard top go look at the Cayman R (my favorite choice) but I am a hard top kinda guy ..

One thing to really consider though - I have found if something is calling me then it is the right choice .the powers above are trying to tell you something ,if you choose to ignore it you might regret it
IMO ,go for the Spyder ,and let the smiles begin

Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
CCns23 has a spectacular aura aboutCCns23 has a spectacular aura about
Do you have a garage? If not, then you might wanna consider something else.

Otherwise, DO IT!!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Have you made the decision?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Get it!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ondarza
Have you made the decision?
We decided to go with the 911S cab, mainly because the back seat is enough for us to be able to run around on the weekends with our daughter. Otherwise, I would have been entirely happy with a Boxster S or Spyder.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Enjoy

Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 PM
gb10998 is on a distinguished road
Get the spyder!

It takes just a couple of minutes to handle the top once you've practiced. The top is totally sealed. I take it through the "no touch" car wash without a drop of water coming in.
It's a BLAST to drive. Every day I come out of a store and find someone taking a picture of it.
I leave the top off in parking lots, etc. Just lock the car and keep the glove box locked. Never had a problem.
Love my Spyder! I got a red one (they're faster).

Old 07-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
Congratulations! Having a little back seat is a plus, enjoy!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Iaa-c63

Originally Posted by IAA-C63
We decided to go with the 911S cab, mainly because the back seat is enough for us to be able to run around on the weekends with our daughter. Otherwise, I would have been entirely happy with a Boxster S or Spyder.
very unselfish choice and the correct one IMO Kudos to you for thinking about the child first

Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM
224wheels is on a distinguished road
Very cool of you to think of your daughter 1st. wise choice and great car, I had the same situation about 2 months ago. I decided to go with the spder, get rid of the wife, put in a turbo along with the booster seat. lol