Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techart GT Sport Wing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Scrambler1880 is on a distinguished road
Techart GT Sport Wing

Getting ready to take my 2006 Cayman S into the body shop to have this installed... to those that have experience with this piece are you still able to open your rear hatch after install I've looked at pics and am having difficulty picturing how it actually goes on???

I remember asking Techart when I bought it and they said that you are able to open the rear hatch but I can't seem to picture it as it looks like the wing installs half on the hatch and half on the body - when you open the hatch does the wing come up with it?

Thx.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 AM
charles06 is on a distinguished road
Yes, the hatch will go up. TechArt wouldn't develop a wing that would make the hatch useless. Who would buy it?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 AM
540Oak is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scrambler1880
Getting ready to take my 2006 Cayman S into the body shop to have this installed... to those that have experience with this piece are you still able to open your rear hatch after install I've looked at pics and am having difficulty picturing how it actually goes on???

I remember asking Techart when I bought it and they said that you are able to open the rear hatch but I can't seem to picture it as it looks like the wing installs half on the hatch and half on the body - when you open the hatch does the wing come up with it?

Thx.

I don't have a Cayman yet but am looking a kit already

I saw two pics of this wing..I read that there are two body kits so I could confusing them..any idea if the GT wing retracts when not in use? I dont think so but I figured I would ask

Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Neither of TechArt's wings moves. You do, however, lose the functionality of the stock wing. That is to say, it doesn't raise and lower. But keep in mind, TechArt wind-tunnel tests their kits, so you'll be fine.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by charles06
Neither of TechArt's wings moves. You do, however, lose the functionality of the stock wing. That is to say, it doesn't raise and lower. But keep in mind, TechArt wind-tunnel tests their kits, so you'll be fine.

that's what I thought Charles....I'm not feelin' that large wing though...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by 540Oak
I don't have a Cayman yet but am looking a kit already

I saw two pics of this wing..I read that there are two body kits so I could confusing them..any idea if the GT wing retracts when not in use? I dont think so but I figured I would ask
There are three kits actually, the GT Sport or Aerokit II have the larger more aggressive wing the Aerokit I is the more subtle design. No retraction on any of them. The GT Sport wing has carbon fiber on the edges and the uprights whereas the Aerokit II wing does not both wings will fit either 987.1 or 987.2 models

Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 AM
There are three kits actually, the GT Sport or Aerokit II have the larger more aggressive wing the Aerokit I is the more subtle design. No retraction on any of them. The GT Sport wing has carbon fiber on the edges and the uprights whereas the Aerokit II wing does not both wings will fit either 987.1 or 987.2 models
Thx Scrambler, which kit are you getting?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Yes, the hatch will go up. TechArt wouldn't develop a wing that would make the hatch useless. Who would buy it?
That's what I figured just can't picture how they pull this off... guess I will find out soon enough. Thx for the response

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Large wing definitely isn't for everyone kinda like some people really hate to put anything on the back of a 911, I just like the big obnoxious wing look.

I decided to go with the Aerokit II the one without the carbon, my car is basalt black and I just didn't like how it looked with the opposing carbon black on the wing pieces. If I had a white car however definitely would have gone traditional GT Sport as the contrast looks great there.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm not trying to question you. I'm honestly asking the question: where do you see three kits? For 2006-2008, there are the GT Sport and Aerokit I, excluding the widebody, on CEC's website. The Aerokit II is for 2009-2010. Does the wing from the Aerokit II fit a 2006?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm not trying to question you. I'm honestly asking the question: where do you see three kits? For 2006-2008, there are the GT Sport and Aerokit I, excluding the widebody, on CEC's website. The Aerokit II is for 2009-2010. Does the wing from the Aerokit II fit a 2006?
I don't know about the full kit but the Aerokit II wing alone (which was developed for the 2009+ Cayman) DOES fit on the 2006+ Cayman thus excluding the wide body for a 2006 -2008 Cayman there are three wing choices Aerokit I, Aerokit II, or GT Sport. The Aerokit II and GT Sport are incredibly similar only difference is the Carbon Fiber uprights and end plates (oh and about $1,000)

I am putting an Aerokit II wing on my 2006. I plan to do the front spoiler and side skirts in the near future but have not yet investigated if I can use the Aerokit II parts (developed for the 2009+) or if I must use the GT Sport stuff (for the 2006 -2008 MY)

I ordered from Techart Directly so was able to get credible confirmation of a fit beforehand.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
TA style kits

you can also get some pretty good replicas @ NR Auto Acessories in so cal .The quality and fittment is excellent and they offer some other options such as a GT-3 front end instead of the TA ,like mine they are a sponsor on this site

here is my car with the TA styled Rear and GT-3 front with the new LED's installed on the front .The gen 2 Cayman /Boxster comes with the LED's integrated into the bumper .hopefully I will get some side skirts ans a GT-3 Rear bumper soon

Attached Images      

Last edited by Fluid987; 09-06-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Porschepet
you can also get some pretty good replicas @ NR Auto Acessories in so cal .The quality and fittment is excellent and they offer some other options such as a GT-3 front end instead of the TA ,like mine they are a sponsor on this site

here is my car with the TA styled Rear and GT-3 front with the new LED's installed on the front .The gen 2 Cayman /Boxster comes with the LED's integrated into the bumper .hopefully I will get some side skirts ans a GT-3 Rear bumper soon
Cool, thx for the heads up I didn't know about these guys. I absolutely love what you've done with your Cayman looks awesome!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:28 PM
just got a call from the body shop -- should have my car back next Tue or Wed can't wait

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Techart GT Sport Wing