Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here...just put in my order for a 2013 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 AM
StanNH is on a distinguished road
New here...just put in my order for a 2013 Boxster S

I currently own a 2009 Corvette convertible with a 6 speed manual. Very good car, and brutally fast, but it never really felt that "connected". I've owned many sports cars over the years, going back to my first Datsun 2000, and I just found the Corvette to be more of a GT and less of a true sports car. It also feels "big", although it's about the same size as a 911. I missed that old "one with the road" feel and decided it was time to say goodbye to the Vette. I now have it listed for sale.

The first time I tried to buy a Boxster was back in 1997, and I was very disappointed in its cramped interior. My 6'3" frame was not going to ever feel right in that car, so I wound up with a 1997 BMW Z3 instead. Over the years, the Boxster has gotten better, and the 2013 is supposed to be one of the best, so I decided to give it another chance.

I just came back from my closest Porsche dealer, who is 2 1/2 hours away. They had several Boxsters in stock, all of which looked better than even the pictures I'd seen online. My first move was to sit in one, hoping I would fit this time. I was very pleasantly surprised at the generous legroom, the more than adequate headroom, and the fact that I could easily reach the clutch, brake, and throttle pedals without being a contortionist.

I wasn't sure if I should go with the base model or the S, and initially put my order in for the base model. Color choice is silver, with a black/gray all leather interior. I opted for Infotainment with Bose, the Premium package, center caps, and the multi-function steering wheel. Transmission will be the 6 speed manual.

By the time I got home, I wondered if I would always regret not opting for the S version, with its larger brakes, dual exhaust pipes, and more power. I'm on a budget, and the $62K for the base model was really all I wanted to spend. I finally talked myself into spending the extra $6,000 and called my salesman to change the order to the S. It'll hurt my bank account, but I'm only doing this once.

The dealer I ordered the car from did not have the best price, but they do offer what they call valet service. They will pick up and deliver the car when service is needed, and that will save me a 5 hour round trip each time. That alone was worth paying a higher price. The dealer with the best price was further away and had no such offer, so that was a real problem.

Expected delivery will be in May, so it'll be a long wait. The only good thing about that is the fact that I probably won't see bare ground up here again until April, so I wouldn't be able to drive it until spring anyway.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 PM
qhb
qhb is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your new purchase. You won't be disappointed, it's one of my best car yet.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
tkracing is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you enjoy your new car. Yeah these cars have gotten better over the years. My wife still says I look like a giant trying to get out of a sardine can but once your in it has plenty of room.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
I bought my wife a 2013 boxster s, and I love it. But I am no way comfortable when driving it. It is a PDK and I am only 6 foot, 200 lbs... It feels cramped to me and the seat does not go far enough back. Hope it stays big enough for you at 6'3"

Mike

Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
I am 6 3 195 and have no issues with comfort and am very long legged. Comfort In a roadster is pretty subjective IMO.

Originally Posted by svoshop
I bought my wife a 2013 boxster s, and I love it. But I am no way comfortable when driving it. It is a PDK and I am only 6 foot, 200 lbs... It feels cramped to me and the seat does not go far enough back. Hope it stays big enough for you at 6'3"

Mike

Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by svoshop

Mike
I was able to have my legs almost straight out with the seat all the way back. With the steering wheel at its highest position, I had clearance for my knees when moving between the pedals. With the seat adjusted all the way down, I had a few inches of head clearance with the top up. With the top down, I had even more headroom.

It felt snug, mostly because of the high center console and high sills, but that's the way it was intended to be. I have a 34" inseam, and didn't have any fit issues at all. My current 2009 Vette is wider, but legroom felt about the same to me...plus the seats in the Boxster were much more comfortable.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Congrats on the purchase and I agree with the decision to go with the S from the base. I think you would be happy with either one, but it is fun to have a little more grunt in the go-power department. I have a 986 S and I don't drive it much, but I did drive it to work today and I have to say that the Boxster is just a fun car to drive. Even my 12 year old 986 is just a blast. I fit well into it because I am only 5' 10", but I could see where it would be cramped if I was any bigger. I normally drive my GT3 when it's time to drive a fun car to work (other than my DD F150) and it is a beast, but the Boxster has a fun factor about it that I can really appreciate. I want to test drive the 981 S just to see how far they have come. I can see that the car has improved dramatically in its styling. I don't think Porsche makes a better looking vehicle than the 981 at the moment. I like the 991, but the 981 is a notch above.

Again, congrats on the purchase and post some pictures when it gets home in the spring.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 AM
rebrewer is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the purchase!

Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Since you said you're only doing this once, I think you made the right decision to go with the S. I too hope that this is the last car I will ever buy for enjoyment. The other cars I have are just for work and grocery and costco runs.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
what does the build look like

Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Cpa4S
what does the build look like
Final configuration is 981 S, Platinum Silver, all leather Agate Grey/Pebble Grey interior, black top, Premium Package, Infotainment with Bose, Sport Design steering wheel, PASM, 20" Carrera S wheels with colored logo, 6 speed manual.

Estimated delivery is late April to early May.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM
matsporsche is on a distinguished road
I received my new Boxter (base) in October, after ordering it in July. Love the car! I only ordered 2 options-metallic paint (dark blue), and convenience package (because I could only get windstop that way--don't need heated seats or dual-zone air conditioning). I had a 2004 before, and there is so much standard in the new car, that I didn't want anything else.

Can't imagine why anyone would want more performance than base car gives--already got one ticket!

For those of you questioning the headlight washers--in Europe, they are required with xenon lights, along with the load compensation, since they find that dirty lenses and load aim-changes can cause blinding.. Not required in N.A, but we get them anyway.

With the base car, these lights are an option, so could add after-market xenon lights and not get the washers.

Anyone interested in doing some maintenance themselves, there is a good piece on youtube. Just search for "deconstructing the new porsche boxter". It shows how to access filters, top of the engine, spark plugs, etc. For instance, you now access the engine air filters (there are now two) from the rear trunk.

Last edited by matsporsche; 01-15-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: got youtube searcvh wrong
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! make sure you post up pics when you get the car.