Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman S is the best Porsche. My opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Mlcn50 is on a distinguished road
Not saying I want them to be 356's lol, but I still love a 2009 911 GT3, it's my favorite Porsche, but of the new Porsches the Cayman S has emerged as my personal favorite. I drove the new carrera and walked away. Thinking my buddies 370z was more fun to drive. It felt like a "cruiser" to me. It lacked a bit of edge I still like in my "sports car". I like the Nissan GTR, but doubt I'd buy one, because it's a big maxima on steroids. When cruising around town. I drive a 2013 Boxster S as my daily driver. (On my 3rd set of rear p-zero's). I love to punch it on the rural back roads where I live. My 2010 911, just didn't feel as fun. My opinion of course. I should have bought a GT3, when I bought it, but the wife wouldn't agree to the $140,000. I paid $$72,000 for my 2013 Boxster S, pocketed the $68,000 I saved. Actually the wife pocketed it. Damn! I should have went for it, now that I'm thinking of it.

Last edited by Mlcn50; 08-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mlcn50
... the Nissan GTR,... a big maxima on steroids. ....
I have no idea what this means, nor how this comment found its way into a discussion about the Cayman vs 911.

They have almost nothing in common.

This is also why it isn't called a Maxima GT-R (like the Skyline GT-R days). This is the difference between the M3 and the GT-R. The M3 starts with a 3-series chassis. The GT-R is its bespoke chassis.

Please explain. Because I've heard this before, when people say it is nothing but a Camry chassis and a single turbo. I don't completely follow the Toyota - Nissan link (like saying a Panamera is a large 135i).

Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 AM
The GTR is a fabulous car(on the track) probably the best I've ever driven, but around town it feels like a Maxima. Some how I think that's the point. It's a car your wife can get groceries in and you can race on Sunday. But, the Porsche is a bit more fun to drive. Yes! The GTR is a faster car, but it's a bit bland just driving in town. Also, (I hate going here) but no one ever says "That's a nice car" except a few fanboys. I still love the compliments my boxster gets when it's sitting at the grocery store. Hate to sound a bit haughty, but $100,000 plus for a Nissan that I'm gonna have 4-6 track days a year is a bit much. Just my humble opinion. Don't get me wrong I love it. I am still a member of Nagtroc.org. I was before the car debut at the Tokyo auto show. But, I took my deposit back after the dealer tried to hit me for $10,000 over list. The car was suppose to be priced at $68,000, when advertised. But prices where $100,000 when it hit the streets. I have owned a 2004 350z and a 2006 350z roadster. They were both great cars, but lacked the refinement of the Porsches. The nissan's were like a really great beer, but the Porsches are like wine. Just my opinion.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
The GTR is a fabulous car(on the track) probably the best I've ever driven, but around town it feels like a Maxima. Some how I think that's the point. It's a car your wife can get groceries in and you can race on Sunday. But, the Porsche is a bit more fun to drive. Yes! The GTR is a faster car, but it's a bit bland just driving in town. Also, (I hate going here) but no one ever says "That's a nice car" except a few fanboys. I still love the compliments my boxster gets when it's sitting at the grocery store. Hate to sound a bit haughty, but $100,000 plus for a Nissan that I'm gonna have 4-6 track days a year is a bit much. Just my humble opinion. Don't get me wrong I love it. I am still a member of Nagtroc.org. I was before the car debut at the Tokyo auto show. But, I took my deposit back after the dealer tried to hit me for $10,000 over list. The car was suppose to be priced at $68,000, when advertised. But prices where $100,000 when it hit the streets. I have owned a 2004 350z and a 2006 350z roadster. They were both great cars, but lacked the refinement of the Porsches. The nissan's were like a really great beer, but the Porsches are like wine. Just my opinion.
My apologies, I thought you were going to tie into the thread. I'm not sure how this fits in the Cayman vs 911 discussion. To discuss a specific dealer's price seems a little out of place as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:39 AM
I digress, the Cayman S the better Porsche platform.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:42 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I love porsches but wont buy another Until they make a mid engine sports car with 500-600 hp. Period. Until then, Ferrari, Lambo, mclaren are the best choices out there.

Funny they are just stuck on this rear engine thing.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by djantlive
I love porsches but wont buy another Until they make a mid engine sports car with 500-600 hp. Period. Until then, Ferrari, Lambo, mclaren are the best choices out there.

Funny they are just stuck on this rear engine thing.
Still, how does one explain the 911 being the MotorTrend's "best driver's car" despite it having an inferior engine placement? I'm confused why Porsche is virtually the only one w/ a rear-engined setup yet none of the competitors' mid-engines have knocked it off its supposedly high standing amongst sportscars. How is it possible that it is the best handling car?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 PM
That's the point of this thread. Some of us don't believe it is. I drove the cayman, cayman's, 911, 911s back to back at the lightning lap at New Jersey Motorsports park. We drove at a quick pace. My observation was the 911, weight on the back end was clearly noticeable. The Cayman S, felt more planted and tossable to me. The added HP is probably the only reason the 911s wins those titles. In my opinion the Cayman S, is the best Porsche.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Article in Edmunds.

3. Better Weight Distribution
Unlike in the 911, Porsche placed the Cayman's engine in the correct location. In the middle. Just like a Formula 1 car. With a 46/54 front/rear weight distribution, the Cayman is, at least in theory, a superior sports car platform.

Not that there aren't benefits to the 911's rear-biased 39/61 setup. Bulldozerlike straight-line traction, for one thing, which gives the 911 unreal wheelspin-free acceleration.

But the Cayman's midengine setup endows it with a low polar moment of inertia because the majority of the car's weight is closer to its center. In non-jargonspeak, it means the Cayman reacts more quickly to driver inputs, and it's more maneuverable and more nimble.

Many Cayman buyers got a Cayman not because they wanted a Porsche. But because they wanted a Cayman. The Cayman says I bought a Porsche for performance. The 911 says I bought a Porsche for the women.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
That's the point of this thread. Some of us don't believe it is. I drove the cayman, cayman's, 911, 911s back to back at the lightning lap at New Jersey Motorsports park. We drove at a quick pace. My observation was the 911, weight on the back end was clearly noticeable. The Cayman S, felt more planted and tossable to me. The added HP is probably the only reason the 911s wins those titles. In my opinion the Cayman S, is the best Porsche.
I don't believe it either, but then you have lots of publications like MotorTrend giving best driver's car (which I assume includes handling aspects) to the 911, so what gives? If RR is the best setup, then why is Porsche virtually the only one that does it, yet it still has supposedly the best sportscars in the 911? Doesn't make sense.

EDIT:
I think that you may have been quoting from this article? LOL.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Article in Edmunds.

The Cayman says I bought a Porsche for performance. The 911 says I bought a Porsche for the women.
The Cayman is wonderful, but about the 991....women; what women?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Agreed... On all points.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:36 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
If you want a bigger powerplant in the Cayman, which you will NEVER get it from Porsche, you need to complain to the 911 owners. They keep buying the underperforming car and Porsche has no recourse. They cannot put a substantial package in the Cayman and undo 50 years of 911. Its too bad really. There is nothing to argue about. If you put a 991 motor in a Cayman it will smoke the 911.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM
idivemike is on a distinguished road
I absolutely love my 07 Cayman S but I do wish it had more power. I'm constantly shopping around for it's replacement. My vehicle taste and my budget means I need to shop CPO. I plan to buy in 4 years after I go back to work; I just retired from the military and start school in the spring. If this Cayman GTS is a reality and has 400 hp it will make my decision SO much easier. That is exactly what I want!

Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 AM
syaero is on a distinguished road
Come on, face it, Porsche will never give the Cayman/Boxster more power just so they can stomp the 911. And if they do, the price will be offensively high.

With that, I say...why wait? Here's your 420 hp Ruf Cayman/Boxster. Guarantee to lighten your wallet!

http://www.ruf-automobile.de/index.php?id=88

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruf 3800S.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	280790  

Last edited by syaero; 09-15-2013 at 10:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman S is the best Porsche. My opinion