Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman S is the best Porsche. My opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Mlcn50 is on a distinguished road
2014 Cayman S is the best Porsche. My opinion

Yesterday I drove the 2014 Porsche Cayman, Cayman S, and the 2013 Porsche 911 4s, and the 911s. It was a Porsche event at the New Jersey motorsports park in Millville, NJ. We drove the cars at a quick pace around the track. In my opinion the Cayman S was the best car. Although, it could use about 50 more hp and about 40 more lbs of torque. The Cayman felt more balanced. The 911's weight on the back end was clearly noticeable. I drive the 2013 Boxster with a 6 speed as my daily driver. I have 20,000 miles on it since last September. I still enjoy it daily. I traded a 2010 911 in for the Boxster. The 911s is just not worth $120,000+ in my humble opinion. My next Porsche will be the Cayman. If the rumors are true that Porsche is working on a Cayman GT3. That will seal the deal for me.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM
ffr2370 is on a distinguished road
I agree with you mostly. I did the roadshow at Fontana speedway, came away with the same impression...in fact it was no contest that the Cayman S was way funner after driving both. The roadshow was a good sales tactic, I traded my 997.1S in on a Cayman S.

Now the new GT3 may be a different story, if you can really get one for $130k it may well be the performance bargain of our time.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Rumor has it there will be a Cayman based GT3, approaching 400hp. I doubt it will happen. Rumor also has it there will be a 4 cyl turbo with 350 HP. I'll be the first to tell Porsche I'm not interested in that car. I love the "song" of a flat 6. It's ashame that Porsche holds back the Cayman. A nissan 370 z smokes a Cayman S in a straight. I did not like the older Caymans(I'm 6,3", 230lbs) I couldn't fit comfortably in one. The 2014 fits like a glove. I just need about 50 more HP from the flat 6. Chips void warranties. Please Porsche build a Cayman GT3.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mlcn50
Rumor has it there will be a Cayman based GT3, approaching 400hp.
I'm still hoping

Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Keadog is on a distinguished road
A Cayman GT3 would be... Interesting. Even though I really enjoy being able to drop the top on my BS, a 400hp Cayman would be eye catching.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Cayman GT3?

Is this the possible Cayman GT3

Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
That's the same rendering I've seen floating around.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Hope it's not just a rumor

I love dropping my top on my Boxster as well, but it would get traded for a Cayman with 400 hp. I believe it was Ferdinand Porsche or perhaps Enzo Ferrari who said "convertibles are for playboys, and hard tops are for serious drivers" lol.

Yes, that rendering of a possible GT3 has been floating around for a while. Sorry for being all Johnny Comelately to the 6speedonline party. Lol

Attached Images  

Last edited by Mlcn50; 08-23-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Upload pic
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I love dropping my top on my Boxster as well, but it would get traded for a Cayman with 400 hp. I believe it was Ferdinand Porsche or perhaps Enzo Ferrari who said "convertibles are for playboys, and hard tops are for serious drivers" lol.

Yes, that rendering of a possible GT3 has been floating around for a while. Sorry for being all Johnny Comelately to the 6speedonline party. Lol
I would be on the list for that!!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
My new Cayman S runs circles around my old 2005 997S. The Cayman is so much more refined and planted. Just point it at a turn and it goes there. The Cayman S in Sport Mode Plus is simply a beast. So much fun in that mode.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I think that is just your opinion. I went to the same roadshow as you and after all the driving. The instructor asked people which car they prefer and only two people raised their hands for the Cayman S and they both own the last generation Cayman. Everyone raised their hands for the C4S (2013 Motor Trends Car of the Year). I have to agree. The Cayman S is fun to drive, actually the Cayman R is funnier to drive, drove that last summer. It lacks power, the C4S hauls @ss down the straights, now if the Cayman S has 400hp and more torque, I would say the majority would prefer that until then, the C4S is still a better car.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ynot
I think that is just your opinion. I went to the same roadshow as you and after all the driving. The instructor asked people which car they prefer and only two people raised their hands for the Cayman S and they both own the last generation Cayman. Everyone raised their hands for the C4S (2013 Motor Trends Car of the Year). I have to agree. The Cayman S is fun to drive, actually the Cayman R is funnier to drive, drove that last summer. It lacks power, the C4S hauls @ss down the straights, now if the Cayman S has 400hp and more torque, I would say the majority would prefer that until then, the C4S is still a better car.

Well of course it's my opinion. I posted it didn't I. I'm talking about an 8 yr old 2005 997S; not a new 991 4S.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 AM
The 2013 911s is Motor Trends best drivers car, not the car of the year. That's the Tesla S. the 911s feels a bit heavy in the rear. Edmund's tested both and said the Cayman is the better platform. Is the 911s worth $35,000 more? I say no. Road and Track says it's more funnerer.(albeit it was a base carrera). Wheels.ca gives the Cayman the edge as well. I love 911's I've owned 2, but I'm not drinking the 911 kool aid anymore. Especially now that the new corvette stingray is fast becoming a better car. The $120,000+ 911's are becoming GT cars, not what they use to be. I still love the 911 GT3, my brother in law has one. But I'm not feeling the new one. I'm hoping Porsche will deliver a Cayman GT3 with a manual. Yes, these are my opinions, but isn't that the point of this forum.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:16 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ynot
Then there are those of us, who think the C4S is slow as hell down the straights, and enjoy the drive more in the Cayman S.

Personal preference.

And if you're going to reference the Motor Trend comparison - the 911 only beat the Cayman S by just over half a second, while the other 8 cars finished pretty far ahead. So let's not try and say the 911 C4S is king of the road either.

I'd prefer the Cayman S to any 911S, and if the "GT3" version comes out (400HP or so), this car would be absolutely astonishing. Unfortunately, I see the price being just as astonishing.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
... The $120,000+ 911's are becoming GT cars, not what they use to be. ...
I agree with your overall premise of your posts, but - do we really want what the 911 used to be? A small stripped down car that could kill anyone at speeds it couldn't really handle? I, personally, don't mind where the 911 is headed.

How many hundreds of posts have we seen comparing the interior of the 911 as an advantage to other cars that may perform better? I can't recall too many that said -"The performance isn't all there, and I don't like the interior - too comfortable."

Usually it is either a combination of satisfying level of performance, and/or interior comfort.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman S is the best Porsche. My opinion