Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster 718

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:40 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
New Boxster 718

I don't see much chatter about this. So... is this a facelift or a new gen? I don't quite get it.

http://jalopnik.com/2017-porsche-718-boxster-this-is-it-1755317137

Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 AM
Cohiba is on a distinguished road
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 AM

A 20 second timer for sport plus mode? Interesting

Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cohiba
video of the sport plus button

A 20 second timer for sport plus mode? Interesting
Very interesting, anyone have any other articles with more info on the 20 second function?

Old 01-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Socalsporty is on a distinguished road
I am sure it will be a fabulous car, but a 4cyl? booooooooooo! So mindlessly pedestrian, I cant imagine the (other than wildly greedy profiteers) rationale for that.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:41 PM
I've read somewhere that the 2.0 liter engine is targeted for China and other parts of Asia, where cars are taxed on their displacement. Typically for a car like a porsche, the tax can be as high as an additional 40K USD. If all the taxes are added up, a car that someone in the US paid $100K for will be $200K in China. The same goes for countries like Singapore, where a Honda Civic could cost upwards of $100K, and most people will get a 10 year loan to pay for it.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:15 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Socalsporty
I am sure it will be a fabulous car, but a 4cyl? booooooooooo! So mindlessly pedestrian, I cant imagine the (other than wildly greedy profiteers) rationale for that.
A little harsh, but I too am not a fan of the 4-cylinder, although I've only ever owned inline fours. I have no idea what a boxer 4 might be like (is that what they put in Subarus?). Still, it motivated me to buy a 981 while I still could...

I guess they want to remind us that the Boxster is still the "entry-level" Porsche.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
We're anxious to coax power and sound improvements out of this new configuration!

Originally Posted by beemer guy
A little harsh, but I too am not a fan of the 4-cylinder, although I've only ever owned inline fours. I have no idea what a boxer 4 might be like (is that what they put in Subarus?). Still, it motivated me to buy a 981 while I still could...

I guess they want to remind us that the Boxster is still the "entry-level" Porsche.
According to Road & Track: "Porsche also couldn't fit the 3.0 liter flat-six from the 911 into the Boxster, the additional plumbing for the turbos wouldn't let it fit, so they had to go to a flat-four. What is good to know is that a naturally aspirated flat-six could still fit."

Subaru does indeed utilize a 4 cylinder boxer in their BRZ, which I have as a daily driver. I'm used to higher powered turbo vehicles. I must say, with the lower center of gravity the handling is unlike anything I've ever driven, and it's certainly class leading...quite addicting. The 718 will have the benefit of a turbocharger, and that means there should be lots of extra power to extract through tuning and modifications!

Let's not forget that AMG crams 26.1 boost through the CLA45's 2.0L and makes 355 horsepower and 332 lb-ft of torque; Porsche could very well have more behind the curtain. We can only hope.

-Mike in Marketing

Old 01-29-2016, 11:52 AM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Sound of the Boxster turbo

Porsche always has more behind the curtain. I am sure it will be easier to coax more power from the turbo.

Here is an interesting posting from Car and Driver:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...nl&date=012916

At the very end of the video in the link you can get an idea of the sound of the new engine.

IMHO, the sound is OK, just not as good as the symphony in flat 6. This reinforces my decision to pick up a 2016 GTS before the engine change.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
We're anxious to coax power and sound improvements out of this new configuration!

According to Road & Track: "Porsche also couldn't fit the 3.0 liter flat-six from the 911 into the Boxster, the additional plumbing for the turbos wouldn't let it fit, so they had to go to a flat-four. What is good to know is that a naturally aspirated flat-six could still fit"
That is laughable. When will they just be honest and tell the world they do not appreciate their Boxster customers? I don't care what you do to a four-cylinder engine they just don't sound that great. With the exception of some very high revving four cylinder motorcycle engines this motor is going to sound very pedestrian IMO. Hopefully they will prove me wrong but I will tell you I have no interest in a four cylinder Porsche, and never will. It does look great though!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:42 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Porsche can keep their flat-4. And the 718. I'll pass. Porsche quit taking your cues from today's Volvo.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:53 PM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Socalsporty
That is laughable. When will they just be honest and tell the world they do not appreciate their Boxster customers? I don't care what you do to a four-cylinder engine they just don't sound that great. With the exception of some very high revving four cylinder motorcycle engines this motor is going to sound very pedestrian IMO. Hopefully they will prove me wrong but I will tell you I have no interest in a four cylinder Porsche, and never will. It does look great though!
As with most modern sports cars these days, the sound you will hear will most likely not be from the engine, it will be from the exhaust . Its a sad truth the days of the raw n/a engine and manual transmission is coming to an end.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:12 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
More power, more fuel efficient, lighter weight, quicker 0 - 60, and many of you guys are criticizing it before it even gets produced? Really? I'm all for it, and I'm anxious to see how they could possibly improve upon the current 981 series, which (IMHO) is perfectly dialed in.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by JB in AR
More power, more fuel efficient, lighter weight, quicker 0 - 60, and many of you guys are criticizing it before it even gets produced? Really? I'm all for it, and I'm anxious to see how they could possibly improve upon the current 981 series, which (IMHO) is perfectly dialed in.

I am not the only one who LOVES the mechanical melody coming out of the engine bay of a flat 6. Power is relative in a Porsche, if you really wanted a powerful car, you wouldn't be looking at a Boxster in the first place, and I will argue part of the finesse, the engaging driving experience of the car is the engine note. Granted they may "pipe it in" and maybe even "augment" the sound track like Taylor Swifts producer, but it wont sound like a Porsche. Simple as that. Probably sound like a subaru. ; )

Last edited by Socalsporty; 02-01-2016 at 06:43 PM.