Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault engine control possible to drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Wailer is on a distinguished road
Fault engine control possible to drive

OK, so I've read every forum entry I can find on this here and on the other forums, but have not seen the symptoms my 2014 Base Cayman PDK 2.7 is experiencing. After some steady highway cruising at 80 mph for over an hour in 85 degree outside temps, the car experienced some increased revs (never above 4500) with loss of power. When I pulled over I could not grab a gear. The subject warning came on and Start/Stop showed disabled. Another warning said Reverse not available, which I confirmed. RPM would rev up, but no gear. Turned the engine off and on several times and eventually (after cooling a few minutes?) it went into 1st gear, and I was able to drive gingerly the 10 miles to the house.

I let the car cool for a couple of hours and then started it up with NO WARNINGS. Drove around the the local area for about 15 miles, experimenting with easy and harder driving. The car drove perfectly! No issues, no warnings.

Got up this morning and drove it to a local Indy shop, hoping to get the warnings read, but they were too slammed to do it today. I made an appointment for tomorrow morning and proceeded to drive home. About 4 miles from home while cruising at 35-40 mph the rpm's again started to slip, but I was able to stop/start and get going again, now more paranoid than yesterday. I slipped completely out of gear about a mile from the house, and after several start/stops, I again found first gear and limped home.

I called Porsche, and confirmed the car has about 45K miles, and is out of warranty. They looked up the vehicle and said it does have an outstanding recall for the “voluntary service #wf77 "replace tank leakage diagnosis"

My question now is if anyone else out there has experienced anything similar and have a final diagnosis? Should I go to my Indy appointment in the morning or cancel and take it to Porsche?

Advice and opinions welcomed. ~Wailer

Old 08-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Crickets?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:06 AM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Just guessing, but the Porsche recall sounds like it doesn’t have anything to do with the PDK, which I am guessing is where your problem lies. Take it to the Indy and get any codes or pending codes read.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:18 AM
Final disposition . . . Porsche reprogrammed the ECU with all updates and all is well now. Old battery 'may' have been part of the problem as well. Replaced! All is right with the world . . . or so they tell me. I pick it up tomorrow with a slightly lighter wallet! Thanks JG for trying to help!

Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the update. Quite a surprise to me.