Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got stiffed selling my Boxster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:12 PM
996garage will become famous soon enough996garage will become famous soon enough
Just got stiffed selling my Boxster?

So I just sold my used Boxster this morning, and the buyer paid with a stack of $20 bills. While the buyer counted out the huge stack containing hundreds of $20 bills, I got a little distracted while his girlfriend was talking, and it was a windy and rainy out trying to handle all the cash. The couple seemed very nice, but as soon as I walked back inside my office to recount the cash, I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on. I went back out, but they had already left. I've texted and called his cell phone multiple times, but no reply at all. Does anyone know if I have any recourse? Or do I just chalk it up to being stupidly too trusting of a seller?

(fyi - this is not a flame thread, as it is not about any forum member, nor will I reveal any names. I just would like to know of any options I have. Thank you)

Last edited by 996garage; 01-15-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:00 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
so sorry to hear that. i will remember your story when i get to sell mine

JB in NJ

Old 01-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996garage
So I just sold my used Boxster this morning, and the buyer paid with a stack of $20 bills. While the buyer counted out the huge stack containing hundreds of $20 bills, I got a little distracted while his girlfriend was talking, and it was a windy and rainy out trying to handle all the cash. The couple seemed very nice, but as soon as I walked back inside my office to recount the cash, I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on. I went back out, but they had already left. I've texted and called his cell phone multiple times, but no reply at all. Does anyone know if I have any recourse? Or do I just chalk it up to being stupidly too trusting of a seller?

(fyi - this is not a flame thread, as it is not about any forum member, nor will I reveal any names. I just would like to know of any options I have. Thank you)
Could be the short count was a mistake.

Did you leave a voice mail message on the buyer's phone?

If not you should. If you have his address up to you if you want to visit him and talk to him.

Maybe it is my previous years of experience at a rather young age of cutting grass and other yard work and delivering papers and dealing with cash but when money is being counted the 2nd coming couldn't distract me.

In your case it might have been just an oversight on the buyer's part, but you are partially to blame for not being more careful. The rule is count the money twice, sign the title once.

Unless you are successful contacting the buyer or he contacts you and you settle this amicably I think you just have to chalk this up to experience.

Next time maybe you should meet at say your bank and if the transaction goes down you count the money in relative quiet and once you (and the buyer) are satisfied the count is correct then sign the title and hand over the keys and deposit the cash right away. (There's a risk that some of the bills may be counterfeit but if this is the case the buyer would probably balk at meeting at a bank cause he's going to be on CCTV.)

Old 01-16-2019, 04:28 PM
996garage will become famous soon enough996garage will become famous soon enough
Yeah, it's looks like a lost cause. Over the past 30 hours I've called, left voice messages, and text messaged him around ten times asking him to contact me about the supposed "honest mistake", but not a peep back from him. He was extremely responsive on calls/text prior to the sale.

I know the blame ultimately falls on me, but after selling around 20 used vehicles in my lifetime, I've never had someone ever swindle me on payment. Then again, I've never had someone try to pay me in $20 bills before either!

The buyer mentioned he might drop the sale price that he reports to the DMV to $1500. I guess when I submit the Release of Liability and put the true selling price, maybe the taxman will be able to recover the $500 that he stiffed me on.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 AM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Hope the 20’s weren’t counterfeit!

Old 01-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Yeah, it's looks like a lost cause. Over the past 30 hours I've called, left voice messages, and text messaged him around ten times asking him to contact me about the supposed "honest mistake", but not a peep back from him. He was extremely responsive on calls/text prior to the sale.

I know the blame ultimately falls on me, but after selling around 20 used vehicles in my lifetime, I've never had someone ever swindle me on payment. Then again, I've never had someone try to pay me in $20 bills before either!

The buyer mentioned he might drop the sale price that he reports to the DMV to $1500. I guess when I submit the Release of Liability and put the true selling price, maybe the taxman will be able to recover the $500 that he stiffed me on.
I would not state a false sales price even if he came back with the $500.

Did you give the buyer a receipt -- that he signed -- with the sales price listed? And keep a copy for yourself?

Regardless when you submit the release of liability I'd list what you received even though it was short by $500 from what you expected.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM
I did write out two copies of a statement agreeing on price for the vehicle in "as is" condition, that we both signed, dated and kept copies of. I was told this is more to protect the buyer, in case the seller tries to say that you stole the vehicle. Not sure if this is true, but I've always done this every time I bought or sold a vehicle.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 AM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I did write out two copies of a statement agreeing on price for the vehicle in "as is" condition, that we both signed, dated and kept copies of. I was told this is more to protect the buyer, in case the seller tries to say that you stole the vehicle. Not sure if this is true, but I've always done this every time I bought or sold a vehicle.
Sorry, but think you are out of luck. IMO, in future never do a cash transaction. Too many potential issues.

As mentioned, either do at a bank to verify the cash is good, or I always do wire transfers. You are lucky the $20’s weren’t fake. You never know with stranglers and even lose friends when it’s only about money.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Zaphodmaine is an unknown quantity at this point
stiffed on a sale

Report the vehicle as stolen: he didn't pay the full price.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 AM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on.
The price you sold the car is the problem right there. How in the world you agree on a price of $666. It's like he was telling you in advance who is coming to get the car.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Targaone1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear. The sad part is you know who the guy is.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:10 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Very sorry to hear about that. Who comes to buy a car with $20 bills? Fortunately you were only shorted $500,

Old 07-03-2019, 03:50 PM
txhokie4life is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cairo94507
Very sorry to hear about that. Who comes to buy a car with $20 bills? Fortunately you were only shorted $500,
At best it comes down to a he said she said argument -- to someone of authority -- how can you prove he was $500 short?

Life's about tuition you just hope you don't have to pay too much --

looks like this lesson cost you $500.

Mike

Old 08-16-2019, 12:44 PM
MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !
What a ****** nozzle that guy is, if it was intentional...but ALWAYS COUNT YOUR CASH BEFORE YOU FORMALLY HAND OVER THE PRODUCT.

Your fault for not counting yourself.

It sounds as if you're out $500, and he's out of integrity.

With that said, I 'effing hate liars, thieves and cheaters.

Last edited by MotoJB; 08-16-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:56 PM
cremaley is on a distinguished road
Do you think she purposely tried to distract you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got stiffed selling my Boxster?