Notices
Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.

Just got stiffed selling my Boxster?

 
  #1  
Old 01-15-2019, 04:12 PM
996garage's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 435
Rep Power: 34
996garage will become famous soon enough996garage will become famous soon enough
Just got stiffed selling my Boxster?

So I just sold my used Boxster this morning, and the buyer paid with a stack of $20 bills. While the buyer counted out the huge stack containing hundreds of $20 bills, I got a little distracted while his girlfriend was talking, and it was a windy and rainy out trying to handle all the cash. The couple seemed very nice, but as soon as I walked back inside my office to recount the cash, I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on. I went back out, but they had already left. I've texted and called his cell phone multiple times, but no reply at all. Does anyone know if I have any recourse? Or do I just chalk it up to being stupidly too trusting of a seller?

(fyi - this is not a flame thread, as it is not about any forum member, nor will I reveal any names. I just would like to know of any options I have. Thank you)
 

Last edited by 996garage; 01-15-2019 at 04:25 PM.
  #2  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:00 PM
JB Lifeguard's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Moorestown, NJ
Posts: 1,865
Rep Power: 149
JB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond reputeJB Lifeguard has a reputation beyond repute
so sorry to hear that. i will remember your story when i get to sell mine

JB in NJ
 
  #3  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 2,126
Rep Power: 139
Macster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996garage View Post
So I just sold my used Boxster this morning, and the buyer paid with a stack of $20 bills. While the buyer counted out the huge stack containing hundreds of $20 bills, I got a little distracted while his girlfriend was talking, and it was a windy and rainy out trying to handle all the cash. The couple seemed very nice, but as soon as I walked back inside my office to recount the cash, I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on. I went back out, but they had already left. I've texted and called his cell phone multiple times, but no reply at all. Does anyone know if I have any recourse? Or do I just chalk it up to being stupidly too trusting of a seller?

(fyi - this is not a flame thread, as it is not about any forum member, nor will I reveal any names. I just would like to know of any options I have. Thank you)
Could be the short count was a mistake.

Did you leave a voice mail message on the buyer's phone?

If not you should. If you have his address up to you if you want to visit him and talk to him.

Maybe it is my previous years of experience at a rather young age of cutting grass and other yard work and delivering papers and dealing with cash but when money is being counted the 2nd coming couldn't distract me.

In your case it might have been just an oversight on the buyer's part, but you are partially to blame for not being more careful. The rule is count the money twice, sign the title once.

Unless you are successful contacting the buyer or he contacts you and you settle this amicably I think you just have to chalk this up to experience.

Next time maybe you should meet at say your bank and if the transaction goes down you count the money in relative quiet and once you (and the buyer) are satisfied the count is correct then sign the title and hand over the keys and deposit the cash right away. (There's a risk that some of the bills may be counterfeit but if this is the case the buyer would probably balk at meeting at a bank cause he's going to be on CCTV.)
 
  #4  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:28 PM
996garage's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 435
Rep Power: 34
996garage will become famous soon enough996garage will become famous soon enough
Yeah, it's looks like a lost cause. Over the past 30 hours I've called, left voice messages, and text messaged him around ten times asking him to contact me about the supposed "honest mistake", but not a peep back from him. He was extremely responsive on calls/text prior to the sale.

I know the blame ultimately falls on me, but after selling around 20 used vehicles in my lifetime, I've never had someone ever swindle me on payment. Then again, I've never had someone try to pay me in $20 bills before either!

The buyer mentioned he might drop the sale price that he reports to the DMV to $1500. I guess when I submit the Release of Liability and put the true selling price, maybe the taxman will be able to recover the $500 that he stiffed me on.
 
  #5  
Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 AM
jg_atl's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Western NC
Posts: 135
Rep Power: 9
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Hope the 20’s weren’t counterfeit!
 
  #6  
Old 01-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 2,126
Rep Power: 139
Macster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996garage View Post
Yeah, it's looks like a lost cause. Over the past 30 hours I've called, left voice messages, and text messaged him around ten times asking him to contact me about the supposed "honest mistake", but not a peep back from him. He was extremely responsive on calls/text prior to the sale.

I know the blame ultimately falls on me, but after selling around 20 used vehicles in my lifetime, I've never had someone ever swindle me on payment. Then again, I've never had someone try to pay me in $20 bills before either!

The buyer mentioned he might drop the sale price that he reports to the DMV to $1500. I guess when I submit the Release of Liability and put the true selling price, maybe the taxman will be able to recover the $500 that he stiffed me on.
I would not state a false sales price even if he came back with the $500.

Did you give the buyer a receipt -- that he signed -- with the sales price listed? And keep a copy for yourself?

Regardless when you submit the release of liability I'd list what you received even though it was short by $500 from what you expected.

 
  #7  
Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM
996garage's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 435
Rep Power: 34
996garage will become famous soon enough996garage will become famous soon enough
I did write out two copies of a statement agreeing on price for the vehicle in "as is" condition, that we both signed, dated and kept copies of. I was told this is more to protect the buyer, in case the seller tries to say that you stole the vehicle. Not sure if this is true, but I've always done this every time I bought or sold a vehicle.
 
  #8  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 AM
mto's Avatar
mto
mto is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 747
Rep Power: 41
mto will become famous soon enoughmto will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 996garage View Post
I did write out two copies of a statement agreeing on price for the vehicle in "as is" condition, that we both signed, dated and kept copies of. I was told this is more to protect the buyer, in case the seller tries to say that you stole the vehicle. Not sure if this is true, but I've always done this every time I bought or sold a vehicle.
Sorry, but think you are out of luck. IMO, in future never do a cash transaction. Too many potential issues.

As mentioned, either do at a bank to verify the cash is good, or I always do wire transfers. You are lucky the $20ís werenít fake. You never know with stranglers and even lose friends when itís only about money.
 
  #9  
Old 03-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Harpswell
Age: 69
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Zaphodmaine is an unknown quantity at this point
stiffed on a sale

Report the vehicle as stolen: he didn't pay the full price.
 
  #10  
Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 318
Rep Power: 31
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996garage View Post
I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on.
The price you sold the car is the problem right there. How in the world you agree on a price of $666. It's like he was telling you in advance who is coming to get the car.
 
  #11  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Registered User
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Glendale wisconsin
Age: 59
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
Targaone1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear. The sad part is you know who the guy is.
 
  #12  
Old 05-09-2019, 07:10 AM
cairo94507's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Ramon Valley, CA
Posts: 501
Rep Power: 31
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Very sorry to hear about that. Who comes to buy a car with $20 bills? Fortunately you were only shorted $500,
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BMoney5327
Boxster / Cayman
7
06-09-2011 12:28 AM
Sendero
Automobiles For Sale
1
04-15-2009 04:01 PM
HOLLYWOOD
996 Turbo / GT2
16
03-23-2009 05:39 PM
AaronRCheng
Boxster / Cayman
17
08-26-2007 11:43 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got stiffed selling my Boxster?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.