Entertaining the Idea to Move To Calgary, P-Car Questions For West Coast 6Speeders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Entertaining the Idea to Move To Calgary, P-Car Questions For West Coast 6Speeders

Well i am seriously entertaining an Idea to take up a Job in Calgary. Never been to the city or the west coast so i will ofcourse make a Trip to make sure this is what i want for the next few years or more of my Life. Now to the P-Car question for the Rennlist Members in and around Calgary. I DD my C4S, Lowered in the Summer and Stock Ride Height for the winter months. Now i have been told there will be a lot of Snow for longer periods in the winter months there compre to Toronto. Will i still be able to DD my car or do i really have a get a Jacked Up 4X4 like a friend has been telling me? Thanks in advance for the Input.

Summer Mode

Winter Mode

Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Zookie, you seem confused. Calgary is about 1,000km from the West Coast!

I can DD my DB9 on summer tires all year round in Vancouver, but Calgary is a different story. It's not just the snow, but the gravel that ends up on the roads will kill your paint.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
pretzel is on a distinguished road
you will be fine....

I am in Calgary.... not enough snow to be worried, we have not needed the armed forces for snow removal! This used to be my daily driver. 03 C4S, 19s in the summer, stock wheels with snow tires in the winter. Only issue was two daughters with backpacks and winter boots was a chore. Clearance not a concern, only in back alleys that are not plowed or driven down by all the jacked up 4x4s.

Moved on up to this 4x4, still a DD.....only issue is the snowplow in the front
Lots of p-cars where I live, I think though that I am one of the few year round drivers. With the chinook winds here I drive with the top down at least a couple of times each month in the winter.

oh and by the way......not too many of us here consider this the west coast

Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM
EThor is on a distinguished road
Alberta

Hey Zookie, I just returned from Alberta (Edmonton) and would offer you the following regarding my experience there during the winter:
1. The plus side is that they don't salt the roads however a big downside of that is the aggregates they use will wreak havoc on your paint job (as mentioned above) but moreso your windshield will likely need to be replaced once per year. I didn't drive my 911 in the winter but both my Ford Edge & Grand Cherokee got a cracked windshield each winter. As well my wife's VW Rabbit also had a chipped windshield which spread. Additionally, the rub is that insurance does not cover it in Alberta unlike Ontario.

2. Unlike Ontario they don't plough the neighbourhood roads in Alberta unless you're on a bus route (that may vary by community but that was my experience). There were literally 18 inch ruts on some neighbourhood streets from cars driving over and packing down the snow.

That aside, I would recommend living in Alberta .... who doesn't like no sales tax and a lower marginal tax rate!!

Hope this was helpful,
Eric

Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
thanks for the info guys, im hearing more and more about how the roads are Sanded which is bad for the paint, is it really that big of a Issue?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:14 PM
pretzel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zookie
thanks for the info guys, im hearing more and more about how the roads are Sanded which is bad for the paint, is it really that big of a Issue?
I think that most people have 3M'd their front ends, some even do a full clear wrap if they want no marks. My old p-car was "meridian metallic" so the wrap did not really show scuffs the way the current black one does. Would still not be without it.

Windshields are casualties if you drive the busier roads, but the p-car's windshield is less cracked than our Escape with the same number of Kms driven over the last two winters.

All that said, bought my car to drive. Not to sit in the garage over the 9 month winter!

Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by pretzel
I think that most people have 3M'd their front ends, some even do a full clear wrap if they want no marks. My old p-car was "meridian metallic" so the wrap did not really show scuffs the way the current black one does. Would still not be without it.

Windshields are casualties if you drive the busier roads, but the p-car's windshield is less cracked than our Escape with the same number of Kms driven over the last two winters.

All that said, bought my car to drive. Not to sit in the garage over the 9 month winter!
the first thing i did before i took Delivery on my car was 3M from the Front End, bext investment ever, after 7 years and 150K+ the front looks like new

Is Windshield not covered under Comprehensive Insurence on the Policy?

Same i drive my car everyday regardless of weather.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 PM
peteb3 is on a distinguished road
No issues DD a 996 in town
I run my 996 C4S year round
I know a guy who DDs a 348TB Ferrari
As the others said, snow not really an issue 90% of the time
Usually get a big dump in spring
Cold is bad but as long as you run good oil and have a fresh battery you'll be fine
Windshield definitely takes a beating as does paint but it's hit and miss, you won't necessarily get a smashed windshield
Luck plays a part

Put on winters
Get 3M wrap
Clean seal and wax regularly
Replace wipers on a regular basis
Get winter mats
Hopefully a garage

Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 AM
szabo_martin is on a distinguished road
Calgary is a dump for cars. As far as being able to drive your car...with a good set of winter tires..no worries. You might get one or two days you'll be having a hard time. Be warned tho, your car will get destroyed. They use a ton of gravel and despite what was said a ton of salt as well. Plus drivers will cut you off if you leave a gap to avoid getting sprayed with gravel, which in turn will shoot more gravel on your car. Calgary is not a car friendly city...........

Old 03-19-2014, 09:33 AM
thanks guys, i did take the Job in Calgary and was about to move, but then i was offered a better opportunity in Toronto itself, so i ended up staying here.

Martin, you have a Lambo don't you?