Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

hydrophobic glass coating (water resistant glass)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:08 PM
ryan79 is on a distinguished road
Arrow hydrophobic glass coating (water resistant glass)

I can see where the current Cayennes have water repellent glass on the front windows, according to the current brochure.

I've been looking around to find out when Porsche first started applying the coating - I found one site that said 04. Can any one confirm that 04-06's came with this? If my 06 didn't than I will be looking to have it applied.

Also in the brochure it says that it may need to be replied as it can lose effectiveness over time. Considering my wife's S60 R has (had) this and you can't even tell anymore - I guess I should consider getting it sprayed on again regardless.

So, has anyone had the dealer reapply the window water-proofing? If so - any chance it was done so under warranty? Doubtful since I'm guessing it would be considered wear and tear.. but who knows. Any luck anyone?

I'd like to have it added to all the windows.. guess I'll look into if there is any hazard to applying it to the windshield.

Wow is this post loaded w/ questions.. I should have just bulleted the questions, ah well

Last edited by ryan79; 01-03-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM
McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryan79
I can see where the current Cayennes have water repellent glass on the front windows, according to the current brochure.

I've been looking around to find out when Porsche first started applying the coating - I found one site that said 04. Can any one confirm that 04-06's came with this? If my 06 didn't than I will be looking to have it applied.

Also in the brochure it says that it may need to be replied as it can lose effectiveness over time. Considering my wife's S60 R has (had) this and you can't even tell anymore - I guess I should consider getting it sprayed on again regardless.

So, has anyone had the dealer reapply the window water-proofing? If so - any chance it was done so under warranty? Doubtful since I'm guessing it would be considered wear and tear.. but who knows. Any luck anyone?

I'd like to have it added to all the windows.. guess I'll look into if there is any hazard to applying it to the windshield.

Wow is this post loaded w/ questions.. I should have just bulleted the questions, ah well

---->McDBrendan I can't PM you yet ( post count). I had a few ?'s for you, so if not a problem maybe you could PM your email and I'll get a hold of you that way. Thanks.
Hey there,

PM sent.

Hydrophobic sealants will lose their effectiveness over time. Wear from the wiper blades, snow, anything that comes in contact will literally strip it from the windshield. Not sure about Porsche's policy on reapplication, talk to your service manager on that one. Rain-X is always an option, as is waxing your windshield. Rain-X may sometimes cause deterioration of the wiper blades, but I am unsure about this so will have to research it more.

Hope this helps.

Brendan

Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Elpiem Ltd is on a distinguished road

I recommend rain racer. I have used it myself and am very satisfied. Although I may well be biased as i install the product to customers' house windows and conservatory roofs. It is equally effective on car windscreens, relatively easy to apply but will need re-applying due to ballistic abrasion over a preiod of time

Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
I would recommend Aquapel. I've had it on my M5 for over a year - the car is a daily driver and is not garaged. It still beads and rolls off the water as if was just applied. Just remember, perp. is everything.

Matt

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
+1 on Rain-X

Never had a problem with deteriorating the wiper blades

Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM
ryan79 is on a distinguished road
I guess this is what I was referring to - WRG ( http://www.carpages.co.uk/volvo/volv...s_20_10_04.asp ).

The way I read the 09 Cayenne brochure though - it appears that it will be on there (or something similar).

That Aquapel looks pretty interesting though.. just did some reading up on it. If I can't find a way to add WPG protection, I'm certainly going look into Aquapel.

Dting Dynamics - When you say "prep" is everything - what does that constitute in your book? I'd wash the windows with something to get any oils, waxes, etc that might be on there / clay bar the windows / wash and dry. Is that decent enough prep or is there more you would suggest?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by strife_wy
+1 on Rain-X

Never had a problem with deteriorating the wiper blades
Neither have I on my personal cars in the past. But several of our clients' did on their cars on which we applied Rain X with their wipers chattering - they were on 996TT and VW's.

Matt

Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Former Vendor
Dting Dynamics - When you say "prep" is everything - what does that constitute in your book? I'd wash the windows with something to get any oils, waxes, etc that might be on there / clay bar the windows / wash and dry. Is that decent enough prep or is there more you would suggest?[/quote]

I would suggest cleaning it with Bon Ami during the wash cycle and then wiping it down with straight alcohol. If you that's not enough, you may have to add a step with a degreaser before the alcohol wipe down.

Matt

Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
driojasm is on a distinguished road
Suppliers of Hydrophobic Coatings

Does anybody know what are the known suppliers of this type of coating?

Are there any suppliers that provide these coatings but that actually last a significant amount of time?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Catalyst is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dtlng. Dynamics
I would recommend Aquapel. I've had it on my M5 for over a year - the car is a daily driver and is not garaged. It still beads and rolls off the water as if was just applied. Just remember, perp. is everything.

Matt
I have definitely noticed Rain-x detiriorating my wipers, I have even tried acouple different kinds.
So matt the Aquapel does not do any detiriorating right?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Catalyst
I have definitely noticed Rain-x detiriorating my wipers, I have even tried acouple different kinds.
So matt the Aquapel does not do any detiriorating right?
I haven't noticed any on my car nor on any of our clients' cars which we did.

Matt

Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the reply guys it was really helpful.

It appears that life cycle and ws wiper deterioration are important aspects when choosing a hydrophobic coatong.

What else should be considered as important?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Wow that aquapel looks awesome and it has a really good review rating on Amazon.

I have noticed in the past that my windshield wipers will chatter. I wonder if it was
the Rain-X...

Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Does anybody know anything about these two suppliers of hydrophobic coatings for automotive glass?
- Clarity Defender from Nanofilms
- Nanosafeguard

Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 PM
SammieL36 is on a distinguished road
Smile Noc On Glass

I just discovered NOC on Glass. I've used Rain-X in the past and don't like it. I have the same stuttering problem with my wipers (they drive me crazy!) and it doesn't seem to last. So between Rain-X & bad wipers, I still can't see, ugh!

My detailer doesn't like Aquapel b'cuz it is removed if you use Windex (or a similar product). He recommended NOC on Glass. I've had it for 6 months and love it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.