Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

time for amp/sub upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
dporschey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
The power connection to your CD changer should still be active..
Yes power is still active to the cd changer i just went out and pressed the eject button and cartridge came out. Only problem is that the key was not in the ignition so power is constantly going to the changer. So that won't work for me. I need something with a remote turn on so i dont kill my battery.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
i have an absolutely base model 2008 v6. the only option i have is PCM2.0. I don't think there is a subwoofer in my vehicle, and I do not see an amp under the spare wheel/tire. Is it possible to add a subwoofer?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
silvercayenneS is on a distinguished road
So is the carpet/trim for the stealthbox black? Or is it color-matched to OEM?

JL says color match is "N/A"...

http://www.jlaudio.com/sb-p-cynne-10...ealthbox-94341

Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
carreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the rough
The carpet for the stealthbox is black ... but All Cayennes have black felt carpet in the storage compartment where the stealthbox goes. You then cover with the carpeted cover that was on your car already.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 PM
stigt30r is just really nicestigt30r is just really nicestigt30r is just really nicestigt30r is just really nicestigt30r is just really nice
Originally Posted by mattjtaylor50
thanks d
i decided i might try the JL stealth box but found out i don't have space because i have the 4 zone AC option.
i am taking my car into audio shop for mobridge install and they are going to figure out what i can do for subs.
I have 4 zone ac.. I want stealth box but can't ...
What kind of sub set up you guys have??
I getting one maybe this week..
Thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I guess this is the thread that will not die ...

Just redid my hidden sub enclosure with a JBL stealthbox instead of the previous fiberglass box that did not have enough volume. I also replaced the Infinity Perfect 10 with a Image Dynamics IDMAX10 (@ 2 ohms / 500W) to get more extension without an unsightly box or visible interior mods. Xmax on the IDMAX is ~25mm vs ~12mm in the Perfect.

I should also mention that the JBL stealthbox is not marketed to work for the 957 body style, only the 955. In order to get it to fit, I had to relocate a few modules, modify the box, and create a custom mount. While I was at it, I added a layer of Dynamat Extreme to deter unwanted sounds from the flexing side panels.

Image Dynamics IDMAX vs Infinity Perfect = No contest

Hidden location opened up, layer of Dynamat applied:

Almost done, buttoning her up. Shot of wired amp under spare tire and sub in panel. Clean install.

Closeup of new sub

Spare tire replaced. You can see part of the amp mounting board peaking underneath.

All done. Panels replaced. Nothing to see, huh? That is kind of the point

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 05-01-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM
reedickyaluss is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
I guess this is the thread that will not die ...

Just redid my hidden sub enclosure with a JBL stealthbox instead of the previous fiberglass box that did not have enough volume. I also replaced the Infinity Perfect 10 with a Image Dynamics IDMAX10 (@ 2 ohms / 500W) to get more extension without an unsightly box or visible interior mods. Xmax on the IDMAX is ~25mm vs ~12mm in the Perfect.

I should also mention that the JBL stealthbox is not marketed to work for the 957 body style, only the 955. In order to get it to fit, I had to relocate a few modules, modify the box, and create a custom mount. While I was at it, I added a layer of Dynamat Extreme to deter unwanted sounds from the flexing side panels.

Image Dynamics IDMAX vs Infinity Perfect = No contest

Hidden location opened up, layer of Dynamat applied:

Almost done, buttoning her up. Shot of wired amp under spare tire and sub in panel. Clean install.

Closeup of new sub

Spare tire replaced. You can see part of the amp mounting board peaking underneath.

All done. Panels replaced. Nothing to see, huh? That is kind of the point

Really impressive man great job.... How loud?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by reedickyaluss
Really impressive man great job.... How loud?
Without using a decibel meter, this is a relative term in car audio. However, I can present anecdotal evidence to support that it is louder than I needed.

On the initial test drive with the misses, we went through several pop tracks on our Dension/iPod setup. On a couple of bass heavy tracks, at highway speeds, the bass was literally shaking my facial muscles. That was soon followed by a internal pressure increase that had both of us trying to "pop our ears". I contribute part of this due to the air tight nature of the vehicle. Needless to say, we turned it down and were impressed by both the SQ and SPL - even though I was not looking for SPL.

I think this is a compelling event for loud-enough.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM
reedickyaluss is on a distinguished road
Haha sounds good man... literally and metaphorically.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:47 PM
23bw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Sometimes I am too nice a guy... just ran out and took some pics for you!

David
Hi David & all,

Very helpful tips. I used this to help a buddy of mine install a JL amp in the exact locations on his 09 Cayenne GTS. However I couldn't get the remote turn on wire working properly. The thin RED wire tested 8v on the multimeter when the radio is ON or OFF. Thus leaving the AMP on all the time. Should this RED wire be 12V only when the radio is on? Did anyone of you verify your amp is turned off when the radio is off?

Furthermore I tried locating a 12v turn on wire at the Bose AMP on the right rear compartment too and found none. Only a 12V+ constant, speaker wires, and the fiber optic cable. Though the thin RED wire at the subwoofer harness does trace back to the BOSE amp powering the rest of the speakers.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks....

Last edited by 23bw; 08-13-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Foggy916 is on a distinguished road
I'm a novice when it comes to electronics. Done some amp and speaker installs long ago on my BMWs. I'm interested in doing this upgrade (Alpine MRP-500 with JL Audio 10W3 sub). Went to local shop and they're quoting me $870 out the door. Yikes. $150 for amp, $200 sub, $60 box, and rest ($460) for parts and labor. They want to run power from battery and use a ?Hi/Lo converter? vs this installation which they claim is not a good idea.

With my 2013, the wires to my Bose are different. Per the picture, I have a large red with white stripe, large brown, little red with white stripe, little yellow with brown stripe, and little yellow with red stripe. Assume that the large red/white is power, large brown is ground but what about the others?

Also, not sure if I want to pull out the Bose sub or just tap into the wires and run both the Bose and potential upgraded amp/sub.

Other than needing to know what the wires are on my 2013, can someone please advise what additional parts/wires I will need to order with the amp and sub to complete the install. Thanks and sorry about the novice questions here.

Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Hal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really nice
I hooked up to the factory bose sub wiring, but could see a better install using "hi/lo" Low pass filtering on the amp. Reason is the factory bose system audio out for sub, varies greatly in proportion to the music volume. At low volumes, the bose boosts the bass a lot, so much so that at whisper volumes, the bass is all you hear. It is not terrible for me, as at very low volume, I just lower the bass on the pcm if needed. This mostly happens on radio, where bass is insanely boosted on commercials. At high volumes, the bose reduces the sub base output in proportion to the music. Using a full range speaker output as a tap would keep the bass proportional at all volumes. The signal would be clean enough, as sub base is not as easy to hear distortion on. Just watch out for blowing fuses if you run loud for long. I think JL has a remote sub level control optional also.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 PM
skier is on a distinguished road
Guys, just traded in my 08' GTS that was loaded with stereo/av components that need a new home. I'll be away for Thanksgiving but should get the stuff organized afterward. PM me if interested. I haven't taking total inventory of everything but here's a rough list:

Alpine MP-500 amp (under spare tire)
JL Audio Stealthbox for cayenne 10W6 (driver side rear quarter panel)
Nav-tv bluetooth, ipod, Sirius satellite, video (through OEM screen)
Alpine DHA s690 6-disc dvd changer (was in passenger rear quarter panel) w/ remote
A/V selector with remote - ipod video to watch on OEM screen (jailbroken iphone will output on OEM screen or authorized apps if not jailbroken)
video switch to watch dvd while driving
bass **** to increase subwoofer level on the fly
and...
Alpine KCE-420v - which I didn't use
PCM late 2009 PCM & Nav upgrade discs

Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
B3nz0 is on a distinguished road
Hey skier, pm the prices

Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM
jimmyle89 is on a distinguished road
Hey Skier,

How much for the JL Box/sub and Alpine Amp? Thanks!

Jimmy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: time for amp/sub upgrade