Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

What year TT to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:00 PM
rsa supra is on a distinguished road
What year TT to buy?

I've been patiently looking for a Cayenne TT for a month or so. I have to replace my FX when my lease is up at the end of September.

I was originally looking at '04's because of the price point (want to stay @ $35k or less) but have moved up to an '05 due to seemingly fewer reliability problems. Is there any reason to stretch up to the 2006?

Also, on a side note... What are the actual mechanical differences between the regular turbo and the S besides larger intercoolers and brakes?

TIA,
-Ryan

Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
go for the newist car you can afford but dont sacrifice the options list, as far as 04 rumers go dont beleive the hype (its down to each individual car)
there are some very good 04 TT's out there and some 06 nails.
the machanical differences are as you state, its down to fine tuning/tweeks.

go with your heart and take somone who knows there cayennes with you, im sure you will find a peach.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:23 AM
porscheaudifam is on a distinguished road
you can get the history from Porsche to know what problems it has gone in for

Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks. Also, one of the reasons am leaning towards '05 and newer is the addition of XM as an option along with rear view camera. I've read conflicting info that the back up camera was standard after '05 while some places state it as an option.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 PM
paulycw is on a distinguished road
I have a 2005 CTT and no back up camera. One reason to stretch into a 2006 is the remaining factory warranty. Although with a 35K budget that may be difficult getting a good 2006 CTT or CTTS.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ONE234
go for the newist car you can afford but dont sacrifice the options list, as far as 04 rumers go dont beleive the hype (its down to each individual car)
there are some very good 04 TT's out there and some 06 nails.
the machanical differences are as you state, its down to fine tuning/tweeks.

go with your heart and take somone who knows there cayennes with you, im sure you will find a peach.
+1, well put.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by paulycw
I have a 2005 CTT and no back up camera. One reason to stretch into a 2006 is the remaining factory warranty. Although with a 35K budget that may be difficult getting a good 2006 CTT or CTTS.
Thanks. There are a few '06's selling under $40k at auction but many are in the mid-upper 40's. I think remaining warranty is pulling serious $$. I'm just wondering (mileage being equal) if there is a reason besides potential remaining warranty to get an '06.

I just had the money free up so I'm going to start seriously looking next week as I have 30 until I turn in the FX.

Also, (again) does anyone know the mechanical exact differences between the regular TT and the S? I'm wondering if it is anything besides the intercoolers. I can't seem to find any specifics.

Thanks again!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 PM
New Question:

Is it worth it to step up to an '08 Turbo.

Over the past several weeks, I've talked myself up from the mid 30's to high 40's into the 50's and have be fixated on getting an '06 Turbo S. Now it seems like an '08 Turbo is not a whole lot more. I'm still battling whether or not it is worth laying out the extra cash.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rsa supra; 10-06-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I went with 06, since I liked the exterior design of the 1st generation over the face-lifted version.

Both are great SUVs as we all know.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:18 PM
wilfred is on a distinguished road
Not sure what your plan is with the vehicle but having a warranty on these is a big plus. Depending on in-service date, many 06 are still in warranty. Because many 06 were sold in 2007 and new car warranty is 4yr/50k. Also, if you do get a 05 or before, make sure the coolant tube has been replaced. Porsche has updated the tube (which is under the intake manifold) from plastic to aluminum during 2005 model year. Other things to look for is cardan shaft, coils, and Turbo are known to consume oil and tires much faster than non. Like most european cars, price drop significantly once out of factory warranty as they are expensive when time comes!

Backup camera was a very expensive option on all pre-06, $1500 or more. Therefore it is rare to see them on V6 or S. A little more chance seeing them on Turbo or Turbo S but still not a common option.

As far as 08+, the interior is exactly the same, the exterior obviously had a facelift. And the engine has gotten bigger too, 4.5 to 4.8.

I guess it all boils down to how much you want to spend. Personally, I would rather pay more for one with factory warranty or CPO or even step down to a non turbo (S or GTS) rather than trying to get the cheapest Turbo or Turbo S out there with unknown history or no warranty...

Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Hi Ryan,

I PM'd you.

Thanks,
Ted.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wilfred
Not sure what your plan is with the vehicle but having a warranty on these is a big plus. ....no warranty...
Wilfred,

Thanks for the input. I definitely want some (if not a lot) of warranty left and am leaning towards one owner cars. I am definitely stuck on the 500+hp level. So its basically how much I can justify to spending. I was stuck on the '08's for a while, but then I saw a 1st gen the other day and thought it looked great as well. But then I saw an '09 Turbo S that does business at my office building again this morning and...

I guess it will come down to what I come across first in the price range I am comfortable spending on a quality '06 Turbo S or '08 Turbo. I was pleasantly surprised at what a couple of '08's went for last week. Just not with black interior as I want.

Ted,

Thank you. I shot you back a PM.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:52 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Hi Ted, what price did the 08 turbo's go for?

Originally Posted by rsa supra
Wilfred,

Thanks for the input. I definitely want some (if not a lot) of warranty left and am leaning towards one owner cars. I am definitely stuck on the 500+hp level. So its basically how much I can justify to spending. I was stuck on the '08's for a while, but then I saw a 1st gen the other day and thought it looked great as well. But then I saw an '09 Turbo S that does business at my office building again this morning and...

I guess it will come down to what I come across first in the price range I am comfortable spending on a quality '06 Turbo S or '08 Turbo. I was pleasantly surprised at what a couple of '08's went for last week. Just not with black interior as I want.

Ted,

Thank you. I shot you back a PM.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:11 PM
epicjon is an unknown quantity at this point
i had an 04 tt and was the best car i have owned so far

Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm still in a quandary... I thought I was set on an '08 but then I talked my self back into an '06 Turbo S over lunch with some co-workers today. But then when I walked out of the restaurant there was a silver GTS in the parking lot. And after I checked that out, 2 rows back towards my office, there was a black '08 turbo...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What year TT to buy?