Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

clunking sound in the freezing temperature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:07 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
clunking sound in the freezing temperature

Hi guys,
Lately i noticed my car makes a "clunk clunk" noise when i pull out of my parking spot. It's when the outdoor temp is near freezing or below, and when i turned the wheel 45 degrees to make a turn. It almost sounds like the wheels/tires are rubbing against something. I have the 21 inch GTS setup on my 09 cs, and i do not have air suspension nor dropped. Tire pressure is all normal and this sound goes away after the car warms up.
Any idea what causes this?
Thanks.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 PM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
warranty work? - why wouldn't you just take an 09 back to the dealer and have them fix it... If I had to guess it's going to be a joint of some kind, or possibly an axle but there is just too little information to take a SWAG.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zmw
warranty work? - why wouldn't you just take an 09 back to the dealer and have them fix it... If I had to guess it's going to be a joint of some kind, or possibly an axle but there is just too little information to take a SWAG.
Thanks. But this is one of those kinks that only happen under certain condition. it goes away when the temp warms up. Would be hard to identify at the dealer... I will continue to monitor...

Old 12-23-2009, 05:13 AM
WayneE is on a distinguished road
Are you sure it's not snow piled into the wheel wells that is melting once the car heats up?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by WayneE
Are you sure it's not snow piled into the wheel wells that is melting once the car heats up?
Thats what i thought at first... but this is before we had snow (and after)... feels like tires rubbing the fender... like when you drop the car too low or your rims too big..

Old 12-23-2009, 06:05 PM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
AGain, i gotta say - go to the dealer and at least register the complaint because if you at least register the complaint when they say they can't find anything you have something to fall back on... at the very least make them keep it overnight outside where it'll be cold and listen for it in the morning...

Does it only happen at full lock steering or certain suspension settings? anything you can do to reproduce will help them (and us)

Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by zmw
AGain, i gotta say - go to the dealer and at least register the complaint because if you at least register the complaint when they say they can't find anything you have something to fall back on... at the very least make them keep it overnight outside where it'll be cold and listen for it in the morning...

Does it only happen at full lock steering or certain suspension settings? anything you can do to reproduce will help them (and us)
full lock steering, i dont have air suspension. however after the warms up it disappears.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
is this when backing up only ?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:04 PM
DaveLew will become famous soon enough
I have that same problem...it deals with the tires and their contraction in cold weather...there was a post in another thread that explained it...no need to worry, all is well.

Normal. These cars have lots of front wheel caster. As a result when front wheels turned sharply the inside tire is not flat on the ground.

You can verify this yourself. Pull car into a spot in an empty parking lot with steering wheel turned full lock. Shut off engine. Not good for steering pump/etc to have wheel turned full lock and engine idling.

Get out of car and get down low in front of car and look at front tires and their contact with pavement. You'll see the inside front tire's contact patch is maybe half of what the outside tire's contact patch.

Anyhow, when tires are cold, wheels sharply turned that inner wheel will skip cause it doesn't have as much traction as outside wheel/tire which has full contact with pavement and has some additional loading due to weight transfer.

Backing up or going forward.

This skipping is the clicking noise you refer to. It can also feel like the steering wheel is shuddering/shaking a bit.

Disclaimer: As long as tire wear normal and even, car exhibits no other signs of steering/suspension/tire/wheel problems the symptom you describe is an articfact of the car's steering/suspension settings and is normal.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by DaveLew
I have that same problem...it deals with the tires and their contraction in cold weather...there was a post in another thread that explained it...no need to worry, all is well.

Normal. These cars have lots of front wheel caster. As a result when front wheels turned sharply the inside tire is not flat on the ground.

You can verify this yourself. Pull car into a spot in an empty parking lot with steering wheel turned full lock. Shut off engine. Not good for steering pump/etc to have wheel turned full lock and engine idling.

Get out of car and get down low in front of car and look at front tires and their contact with pavement. You'll see the inside front tire's contact patch is maybe half of what the outside tire's contact patch.

Anyhow, when tires are cold, wheels sharply turned that inner wheel will skip cause it doesn't have as much traction as outside wheel/tire which has full contact with pavement and has some additional loading due to weight transfer.

This skipping is the clicking noise you refer to. It can also feel like the steering wheel is shuddering/shaking a bit.

Disclaimer: As long as tire wear normal and even, car exhibits no other signs of steering/suspension/tire/wheel problems the symptom you describe is an articfact of the car's steering/suspension settings and is normal.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Very helpful, and i think this is exactly what's happening. thank you!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaveLew

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks - only your second post and so informative. I wondered about that sound. Allow me to give you your first rep.