Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Caynne GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned
nikeking is infamous around these partsnikeking is infamous around these partsnikeking is infamous around these parts
Caynne GTS

I my quest to be different I looking to buy a Cayenne GTS but I don't know much about it (GTS version).

I know the Base and the S version are the one's you stay away from.
GTS (Love the fact that it's a 6 speed) never drove one but I would think it would be like driving a Lighting truck or the 6 speed Viper truck
I've driven both the Turbo and the Turbo S (Turbo=fast SUV, Turbo S=makes sports cars under 400hp look stupid)
But the GTS is the dark horse for me when it was first released I saw a few previews here and there but nothing to detailed.

So my question is what makes the GTS great,what are the flaws about the GTS and what if any after market parts are out there for the GTS. It being an N/A Porsche I know the after market world is not to friendly.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:47 PM
slammedM is on a distinguished road
I always thought the GTS was a turbo too ?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Banned
nikeking is infamous around these partsnikeking is infamous around these partsnikeking is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by slammedM
I always thought the GTS was a turbo too ?
Nope N/A V8 with standard 6speed

Old 12-25-2009, 12:13 AM
lumber will become famous soon enough
Ive got a gts 6spd. More involving to drive than a turbo.

Not as fast, but ive got cars for when I want to go fast.

As far as what does it compare to? There are not many manual trans trucks out there that do what a gts can do. Maybe a srt10, but apples to oranges, imho.

I bought mine to drive daily, under the radar, when i cant drive my gt3.
Works for me...sounds great too...

Old 12-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by lumber
Ive got a gts 6spd. More involving to drive than a turbo.

Not as fast, but ive got cars for when I want to go fast.

As far as what does it compare to? There are not many manual trans trucks out there that do what a gts can do. Maybe a srt10, but apples to oranges, imho.

I bought mine to drive daily, under the radar, when i cant drive my gt3.
Works for me...sounds great too...
Any down falls beside not being as fast as its Turbo counter parts, also what kind of power mods are out there for the GTS

Old 12-25-2009, 08:46 PM
For me no. I sold a GT-R for the same reason, and got a GT3.

A turbo is crazy fast, but I think its un-usable. And I live in a rural area.

A better car for me is one that you can hear/feel. It makes the ride that much more enjoyable...If I remember correctly, someone recently sold a 08ctt and bought a gts for these same reasons.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 AM
DUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nikeking
Nope N/A V8 with standard 6speed
GTS motor has a few more horsepower than the V8 in the S. 405 HP at 6500 RPM for the GTS vs 385 HP at 6200 RPM in the S.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lumber
For me no. I sold a GT-R for the same reason, and got a GT3.

A turbo is crazy fast, but I think its un-usable. And I live in a rural area.

A better car for me is one that you can hear/feel. It makes the ride that much more enjoyable...If I remember correctly, someone recently sold a 08ctt and bought a gts for these same reasons.

i sold my ctt for a gts for those reasons - you can drive it hard and still be at speeds that are not insane.

drawback to GTS - back seat folding for cargo PITA

Old 12-26-2009, 09:00 PM
i put a bobcat tire in mine yesterday, didnt even need to fold the seat down

Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 AM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
I my quest to be different I looking to buy a Cayenne GTS but I don't know much about it (GTS version).

I know the Base and the S version are the one's you stay away from.
GTS (Love the fact that it's a 6 speed) never drove one but I would think it would be like driving a Lighting truck or the 6 speed Viper truck
I've driven both the Turbo and the Turbo S (Turbo=fast SUV, Turbo S=makes sports cars under 400hp look stupid)
But the GTS is the dark horse for me when it was first released I saw a few previews here and there but nothing to detailed.

So my question is what makes the GTS great,what are the flaws about the GTS and what if any after market parts are out there for the GTS. It being an N/A Porsche I know the after market world is not to friendly.
If I had to own only one vehicle, it would be the CTTS. If that is your circumstance, then the CTTS is truly a vehicle that can do it all.

For those times when I am in a more spirited driving mood, I use my RS4. It still has a good amount of practicality too. As such, I use the Cayenne S as my daily driver about 60-70% of the time. For the things I use it for, I just don't need the extra power and, in fact, the extra power would probably be a detriment.

For example, I use the Cayenne to go skiing. It has enough power to get me through the mountains but not so much as to be a hindrance when the weather gets bad. And in bad weather, with all the stability/traction mechanisms, the power of a TT wouldn't get used anyway. I also use the car as my primary daily driver. I don't want extreme performance in such a car. Too hard to modulate in traffic, and too much restraint required not to get into triple digit speed. Again, when I'm in the mood for that, I have another vehicle that will give it to me.

Also, a high revving NA motor has a very intoxicating feel to it. Not the pure power of a turbo, but appealing in its own way. The GTS wasn't an option when I bought my Cayenne so I bought the S, but if were buying today, I think the GTS is a great balance of things for the driving enthusiast who has another higher peformance vehicle in the stable for when you really have that urge.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:43 AM
WayneE is on a distinguished road

A GTS with all the goodies is as engaging a ride as you'll find in a utility vehicle, IMO. Supportive seats, 6spd manual, great exhaust note, good handling for an SUV. I think the driving experience compares favorably with a sports wagon. Grip is very good with the stock 21s and summer tires.

The GTS has the turbo look to it with all the flares and spoilers, as well as large wheels w/summer tires.

The seats are tight for bigger people and the shifter is rubbery with a somewhat awkward placement. Moving the seat as far back as possible helps. The ride is fairly stiff, even with the air suspension set to comfort. Gas mileage is abysmal, barely making double digits in mixed driving for me.

The Cayenne is small as a utility vehicle. The GTS seats don't fold completely flat in the back, which reduces it's cargo space. It's a 4 seater, unless you're a family of little people.

There are some performance parts available, but they seem limited to exhaust/intake. I like the stock exhaust note. It's surprisingly loud with the sport mode engaged.

I really like my GTS. It's a great DD. It is not fast or quick by any stretch, but it can be fun to drive. It's even a good road trip vehicle, taking me to Indianapolis, Philly, Boston and Raleigh, NC, since purchase.

I wouldn't mind the extra power of a turbo, but I wouldn't give up my 3rd pedal to get it.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't mind the extra power of a turbo, but I wouldn't give up my 3rd pedal to get it.
same here, my decision was easy since i only wanted a manual trans...

Old 12-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned
Thanks guys the GTS sounds good for DD use but I'm still a young buck and I love power. I've owned very powerful car's all my life and I just don't know. 1 half of me say's GTS (fun factor) and the other half say Turbo S (fun factor with more power).

Old 12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
I would add that if its your only vehicle , a ctt would be worth looking at...I view mine as a super sporty truck as I also have a tundra which is getting less seat time now.

I do have other cars to drive if I feel like going fast, so that performance factor was not as important to me. I just like the visceral feel of the gts over a ctt.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 AM
WayneE is on a distinguished road
If it was my only vehicle I would go for the turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Caynne GTS