Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Offroad tires on 17 setup.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Offroad tires on 17 setup.

Ok, I did alot of searching last night because I have been frustrated finding a true Offroad tire.

I found a miata website that compares your OEM wheel with the different sized tires then cross referenced the tire sizes against the Offroad/maximum traction on tirerack.com. I found a ton of "mud tires" for the factory 17's.

Use the calculator to see what happens to your speedometer reading when you change the size of your tires and wheels. The graphic shows your stock tire selection in an outline overlaid on your new tire selection. It calculates that I will be at a 3.4% too fast, so when I am going 60, its really 58, etc.....

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Now all in theory, I am running 235/65-17s per OEM. And i found a ton of 245/70R17 E tires that fit and attached them below.

Can these fit in theory, what else should I consider......again i think I found the optimal tire size in width and height with number of tires, the other options were too tall but same width.

Am I on to something where I can slap a slightly taller and wider tire on the 17 OEMs and then have a dedicated offroad set and maybe add a 5mml wheel spacer to not rub as much?

Because I would love to have my offroad ranch setup and then still have some summer/all season 20 inch black GTS wheels for regular setup.

Here are the 245/70-17 make and types in pics below:

1. BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
2. Firestone Destination M/T
3. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar
4. Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Feel free to make any other recs on tires too.

Attached Images     
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 AM
oh and I guess you could use the Miata website for any tire style too......going taller/going fatter etc.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:11 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
I went with TireRacks' advice. They are sponsors. However, my 18's are not the same. Tire slections are very limited. Porsche likes to "N" spec Pirelli's but the General AT Grabber2's work quite well in 18's. Turbo won't take 17's. See what TireRack recommends.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by gr8ful
I went with TireRacks' advice. They are sponsors. However, my 18's are not the same. Tire slections are very limited. Porsche likes to "N" spec Pirelli's but the General AT Grabber2's work quite well in 18's. Turbo won't take 17's. See what TireRack recommends.
fyi your turbo will take 17's with a 5mm spacer and you can still use stock lugs.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Porsche does NOT recommend spacers for off-road use. Not good for me anyway--certainly 17's would open some doors to selection but I like my SUV just the way Porsche designed it. Far better than the new one IMHO.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 AM
well good for me then, I just picked up 4 unused OEM 17 with TPMs FOR 200 BUCKS. Im about to go outside and pressure wash them, sand them, then spray them with a matte or satin black finish..........

Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM
finished this on Saturday

Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Why are you only looking at mud terrain tires? They're not needed for 99.9% of circumstances, and work very poorly on the highway.

I'd go with the BF Goodrich All Terrain M/T if you're going to be using it on the highway too. Great all-around tire.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Im looking at a winter/hunting set up for ranch road, pasture, creek bed driving.....cutting across fields can get real hectic with out some good grip.

Im not trying to make a Cayenne crawler and I got rid of my jeep.

I will still be running a street tire set up majority of the time but I scored some OEMs for 200 bucks.

This will be paid off soon and probably become my weekend warrior adventure car and hunting vehicle.......

Lots of outdoorsy stuff here in Austin/Central texas/South Texas/ Mexico area...

Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cordsig79
well good for me then, I just picked up 4 unused OEM 17 with TPMs FOR 200 BUCKS. Im about to go outside and pressure wash them, sand them, then spray them with a matte or satin black finish..........
I'd love to see what your truck looks like when you've got the new tires and wheels on it.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Im am about to pair up with a local here who just purchased a paint booth and has a full shop......so the full painting of wheels are on hold for the moment...

any ideas.......rip off a transissy paint scheme?

I will probably have tires by sometime next week just waiting to pull the trigger on some other things I have pending.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:48 PM
first day trial

Tires on the wheels...not mud terrain though.

Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
The Transsyberia rally Cayennes ran 265/65/18. In the close up pictures there seems to be no body modifications made to fit these. Many of the Touareg guys run this size for their off road tires! Basically a 32x11 tire.

I'm looking for a set for my 18s for a winter and towing/Offroad tire.

I personally would prefer the look and feel off the typical mud TA over an All Terrain tire. You may only use it 1% of the time, but I'd prefer not to be stuck during that 1%.

I'm working on a front rally style light bar for the front of mine if anyone is interested.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Cole
The Transsyberia rally Cayennes ran 265/65/18. In the close up pictures there seems to be no body modifications made to fit these. Many of the Touareg guys run this size for their off road tires! Basically a 32x11 tire.

I'm looking for a set for my 18s for a winter and towing/Offroad tire.

I personally would prefer the look and feel off the typical mud TA over an All Terrain tire. You may only use it 1% of the time, but I'd prefer not to be stuck during that 1%.

I'm working on a front rally style light bar for the front of mine if anyone is interested.
I stand corrected, these are actually 265/70/17......I was not paying attention when typing.

I ran them after a weeks long down pour here in Texas on some clay roads, fields, and thick mucky shoulders/drainage ditches.....psm helps and the extra grip and rip, they didnt really slip on the road one bit. Poor 2500 and 3500 diesels were slipping and having to tear up the shoulder at the Wildlife management area.

They also did fine trudging through a field.

I would would love to get some Mud terrains, too hard to drop 800 bucks after this xmas. I am actually liking these more than the 22's??!!! We shall see in a few months of I want to get back over.....but I like busting through pasture and running over potholes again with no worries.

I saw an older range rover with some 15's or 17's carry skinny mud tires...looked good.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 AM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Offroad tires on 17 setup.