Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

vibration in steering wheel with 22s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
kingtut73 is an unknown quantity at this point
vibration in steering wheel with 22s

those of you who have 22s is there a slight steering wheel vibration issue in your car when you went from 18s/19s etc to a 22. im thinking of changing my tires(nitto nt555) ive had them ride matched. the guy who mounted them said that one wheel has a slight imperfection in it. so before i send them back (and wait five weeks)im wondering is it the tires, the car or the wheels. im just trying to exhaust all options before sending them back and have them say its not the wheels. p.s. i have the standard suspension system

Old 03-15-2005, 03:52 AM
Jeffs is on a distinguished road
I have stock 20' on and sometimes it vibrates too...my friend's CTT vibrates even worse

Old 03-15-2005, 05:33 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Most common suspect is improperly balanced tires....Second is alignment

Old 03-15-2005, 06:30 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is on a distinguished road
Mansour is 100% correct.

I have 22" on my car with Michelin Diamaris and there is no vibration issue

Old 03-16-2005, 07:32 AM
dmerc has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I have 22" Techarts and also have no vibration issues....def have the balance checked.

Also, does anyone know if your speedometer/mileage will be effected by going from 18's to 22's? Someone told me there won't be an issue and I have also heard the opposite.

Anyone know for sure?

Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
If you maintain the correct aspect ratio between wheel and tire height, there should be little speed variation...

Old 03-16-2005, 08:05 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Jeffs
I have stock 20' on and sometimes it vibrates too...
same here. the CT is an engineering marvel. it's amazing so many could be high on crack and drunk out of their minds while designing the thing and have it still run.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:06 PM
oproulx is on a distinguished road
I haven't really used my truck since I put on the 22's but I've noticed a slight wheel vibration as well. I went back to where I bought the wheels and had the guy redo a wheel balancing which I surveyed myself. This balancing was done with a different machine than the one that balanced the wheels originally. On the way home last night, everything seemed to be fine. Yet tonight, the problem is back although not as bad... What should I do next? Is it possible that there is something wrong with a part in the car as I had the same vibration with my 18" winter tires?

Mostly, should I get my dealer involved?

Thanks for your input

Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 PM
i had the tires ride matched but still steering vibes on certain kinda roads. what kinda tires do you have? ive blamed it on my tires. it sound funny but ive been putting sumitomo tires on my other cars and they are the smoothest tires ive been running in a long time. im waiting for these nittos to wear out. im going with yokohama(sp) or sumitomo next.

Last edited by kingtut73; 05-27-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:55 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by kingtut73
i had the tires ride matched but still steering vibes on certain kinda roads. what kinda tires do you have? ive blamed it on my tires. it sound funny but ive been putting sumitomo tires on my other cars and they are the smoothest tires ive been running in a long time. im waithing for these nittos to wear out. im going with yokohama(sp) or sumitomo next.
I have occasional wheel shim. Welcome to the world of Cayenne. Don't waste your time with new tires/ wheels ect. I have been hunter balanced and aligned twice in the last month. Still get it. It's not consistent and happens whenever. Personally I feel it is a design flaw in the servotronic variable assist power steering that is the culprit. I know many cars/trucks with far worse alignments/tire balances and they don't ever vibrate. It's too bad about this. It is my only complaint with the truck.

Old 05-27-2005, 06:58 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
You say "ride matched", does that refer to them using a Hunter GSP9700? If not, get that done first. Go to www.gsp9700.com to find one in your area. If you have a wheel that is slightly bent, put it on the back. Depending on the tires, it can be very difficult to balance a 22 sometimes as they are so low and wide. I would try a second set of tires if they are new. I get complaints all day long of people that can't get Nitto's to balance so maybe try something else before abandoning the entire package. In these sizes you get what you pay for. You will find the problem, but sometimes you have to be persistant.

Give me a call if I can help further.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 05-27-2005, 07:17 AM
oproulx is on a distinguished road
I'm running 295 30 ZR 22 Pirelli Scorpion Zeros all around

Still get it. It's not consistent and happens whenever
Same here, it's not consistent which is the weirdest oart of this problem. This is why I was thinking of getting the dealer involved. I noticed some people on the boars have gotten parts changed as a result of wheel vibration

Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by oproulx
I'm running 295 30 ZR 22 Pirelli Scorpion Zeros all around

Same here, it's not consistent which is the weirdest oart of this problem. This is why I was thinking of getting the dealer involved. I noticed some people on the boars have gotten parts changed as a result of wheel vibration
My Dealer has been invloved since my first Cayenne that had much worse vibration. Only aligments and balancing has been done and hasn't completely eliminated the problem. I think it has to do with the variable assist power steering or should I say variable assist vibration. Keep us apprised on what your dealer says/does. Thanks and good luck...

Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 PM
thanx Damon ill keep you in mind. that was the machine they had used.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:09 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
I never had this problem, and I felt lucky.

I was fine for a whooping 15,300 miles!

I recently got new tires, same brand and size (Pirelli on 19's)... now the steering has a near-violent vibration from 74-78... usually starting at 76 and ending at 78.. and it seems to happen just whenever-- this sucks

I feel for you guys now, now I actually FEEL what you feel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: vibration in steering wheel with 22s