Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Wonky headlight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:59 PM
BLKPPR is on a distinguished road
Wonky headlight

So I went to install new fog lights on my pepper. I removed the left headlight and tried going in that way to change out the fogs. Could not reach the fogs so I put the headlight back in as instructed. Now I get a dipped beam error. My headlight is not coming on. If I push on the headlight the lights all come on but as soon as I hit a bump they shut back off and the headlight error comes back on. I pulled it out again and reinstalled and the same thing happens. Any ideas. Turn signal wont come on either which causes yet a different alarm.
Thanks
Caesar

Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 PM
CdnRD is on a distinguished road
Re: Wonky Headlight

I had the same problem with mine. I did two things to fix it and I'm not sure which one did it. First I put dilectric grease on the seal around the headlight plug that's on the car to make sure it would seat. The other was to make sure to turn the headlight lug until it clicked. I pushed on the headlight when I turned because I was worried I'd break something. It seems kind of flimsy.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Very common problem when you remove/install headlight assy. Caused by the headlight housing elex connector plug not properly mating with the car connector socket.
I found that by slightly bending the protruding lugs on the headlight housing male connector by 0.5 to 1mm they will snugly connect to the female sockets on the car side when reinstalling the assembly, eliminating any connectivity issues.
Dialectric grease as suggested (or saliva) on the car side receptacle orange oring will also help although I have never had to use it once the bending of the lugs has been carried out.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Check the headlight mount too - they frequently become loose. There's a 10mm bolt on the front of the bracket/mount. Yours is probably loose.

Porsche issued a TSB for this issue that included putting Loctite on the bracket bolts to keep them from coming loose.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 AM
BLKPPR is on a distinguished road
Got it. Did not hear the click the first and second time. Was afarid to turn it anymore. Went ahaed and torqued it down harder and sure enough click and now they work. Thanks for the tips.
Caesar