Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

PCNA on Full vs. Natural leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM
ronl will become famous soon enoughronl will become famous soon enough
PCNA on Full vs. Natural leather

Did some on line research and contacted PCNA on differences between full and natural leather. Results tend to confirm and extend upon w00t’s good work. Please jump in and correct anything known or supposed to be wrong below. Source Porsche quotes at end.

All leathers spend time in baths as part of the tanning process. Hides destined for natural are selected based on no or almost no marking and imperfections such as scars, bites, etc. They are vat dyed either as part of the tanning process or thereafter; regardless, when being dyed they are tumbled in vats of dye such that a base color is imbued into the entire hide- grain surface right through to flesh. My understanding is that the more time leather spends in a tumbling environment, the softer it becomes. I do not know whether the full leathers are tumbled at any stage but they are not dyed.

Following tanning, those leathers with markings and imperfections are sanded. This removes some of the natural grain (and strength) so these leathers cannot be called full grain; they are top grain. As sanding and imperfections are highly correlated, manufacturers often resort to “faux” embossing as a way of further hiding defect or compensating for too much grain removal. All this lends a more plastic feel. I don’t think Porsche does much of this because the full leather cars still seem quite smooth to me. This may be why posters do not see visual differences in full vs natural. Others?

After drying and stretching, full leathers receive several surface coats of pigmentation as distinct from dyes which have been stated on one site to only work in earth tones. Is natural carrera red an earth tone?

Semi-Analine leathers, used by many high end car manufactures, often at an upcharge from regular leather, are top grain leathers, vat dyed, but receiving some attention on the surface for imperfections, additional pigmentation smoothing and protection. Full analine means vat dyed, no pigmentation, little or no protective coating. These hides are stronger, more porous, breathe better but slurp up the stains. They are dyed all the way through so scratches should show less than in the full though all leathers are easily buffed.

My Porsche response confirmed much of the above and stated that natural is full analine though I have a hard time thinking that there is no pigmentation smoothing and no protection. Anyone know for certain?

Regardless, it stands to reason that natural leathers receive no or less sanding, no or fewer added layers and more tumbling. This should provide a stronger grain, softer feel, quicker break-in and superior patina in a shorter time. All good things indeed.

I have no conclusive info on full grain vs top grain in the Cayenne, full or natural.

From Porsche: "Both leathers are genuine cow leather and most come from southern Germany and some from Switzerland and such. None are from Argentina because of issues with stitching. The natural leather is dyed differently than the full in that it goes through a soak process that filters the dye through the whole piece. The full leather has a more superficial dying process as an outer coating. Because of the process on the natural leather, it is a bit more soft and supple...does tend to comfortably wear in a lot easier than the full leather because of this."

Also from Porsche: "The natural leather is very high quality with almost no markings. Because of the high quality, it has fewer layers of finish. It is full aniline with glaze.

The natural leather will get its patina faster than others because of the fewer finish layers."

Side note, On a recent visit to a Nordstroms outlet saw a pair of Ralph Lauren "Vachetta" shoes (full analine) which must have been tried on a thousand times- soft as butter. Checked at the mall- same shoes, not yet so soft.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Great write-up, great information.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
interesting - i have had it in my Boxster for qlmost 3 years now. the natural grey - it changes with the lighting which is neat. it cleans well and still has that flat look i prefer to the sheen that can develope.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Bravo, kudos, I could go on and on and on .... I enjoyed the read. Thank you.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
I always wondered............Thanks. Rep to you for going to the effort to gather this information.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Well forget the rep. It would not allow me to give it to you. Said: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ronl again." I tried.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
ronl will become famous soon enoughronl will become famous soon enough
Thanks Duffy. As you know, one does this stuff for the love of the research.

I'm not certain I got the semi analine right. It may be that semi-analine is the same as full analine with just a protective coat- no sanding, no pigmentation. If this is the case, then natural might really be semi-analine due to the glazing. I asked about full and top grain but got no reply on that; was happy to get anything at all.

Full analine untreated seems to be what Louis Vutton uses on their trims; may also be similar to the Hartman pieces I photo'd for the w00tmobile thread. Don't know how this would hold up in a vehicle but would be interesting.

Leathers are also sometimes split into layers in which only the top has any real grain; called splits these are the ones that really must get the heavy embossing. I think I may have a Ford like this, feels like plastic.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:44 AM
frankiess is an unknown quantity at this point
On this website, they explain the benefits of full grain top leather : bestminimalistwalletformen.com