Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Excessive Brake Dust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:59 PM
mjb2503 is on a distinguished road
Excessive Brake Dust?

I picked up a black V6 a couple of months ago and wanted to check whether anyone else has experienced this: with a week or so of standard driving (50-75 miles), the rims look like they've been painted gunmetal grey, is this common on the Cayenne? Assume its just the brake pads working hard to stop the car, but its weird that the front wheels are much worse than the back.

Anyone else noticed this on theirs?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM
gte1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mjb2503
I picked up a black V6 a couple of months ago and wanted to check whether anyone else has experienced this: with a week or so of standard driving (50-75 miles), the rims look like they've been painted gunmetal grey, is this common on the Cayenne? Assume its just the brake pads working hard to stop the car, but its weird that the front wheels are much worse than the back.

Just got mine and only have put 200 miles on it. I did notice however that the amount of break dust seemed minimal so far. After 200 mi. in my old 740i it was very noticeable. I have had a few German cars and some of them have really piled up the dust and others not so bad. The front will allways be much heaver than the back.

George

Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold

Yes...unfortunatley!! P car steel brakes suck when it comes to dust!!
And yes the fronts are worse than the rears.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 PM
SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, your gonna have to get used to it. There are a couple of "low dust" options available, but they don't eliminate it completly.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 PM
This is at least half the reason I chose the Turbo II wheels over the Spyder or SportEdition wheel. They looked really easy to clean. California Car Duster and clean wheels and you can go quite some time without a wash, but still look great!

George

Old 07-07-2011, 06:26 AM
89Tiger is on a distinguished road
I switched from stock pads to Pagid from Weston Motorsports (see ad in Panorama) last year

Difference in brake dust accumulation like nite & day...and no drop in stopping power

Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
What an annoyance on my
GTS, this is why my new CTT has ceramics! I have NO dust whatsoever!! Not to mention all of the other benefits of ceramics over standard turbo breaks...

Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by gte1
California Car Duster and clean wheels and you can go quite some time without a wash, but still look great!

George
What kind of products are these? Haven't heard of them

Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by 89Tiger
I switched from stock pads to Pagid from Weston Motorsports (see ad in Panorama) last year

Difference in brake dust accumulation like nite & day...and no drop in stopping power
Was the dust the reason you switched? What pushed you to you the Pagid over other brand?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM
What kind of products are these? Haven't heard of them
California Car Duster is a big dust mop for the car. http://calcarduster.com/originalDuster.asp I like the one with the wood handle better for some reason, I have both. Just wait till your car cools off then just dust it off. I have gone weeks without washing and people always ask me if I just washed my car. As far as clean wheels I just was saying to clean the wheels, no product.

The duster WILL NOT scratch your car even though it seems like it should. Just use light touch, and the older and dirtier the duster becomes the better it seems to work. My cousin's husband shows cars and they all use them. Most of these guys have 20K+ paint jobs and would not use a product that scratched the paint. Best $20 you will ever spend, especially for a dark car.

George

Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute

Quit braking so much brush off your speed in the turns

Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
89Tiger is on a distinguished road
Yes, brake dust was the primary reason I made the switch. Would wash the beast and the wheels would show charcoal colored dust w/in 24 hrs. Hated it.

I chose Pagid after experiencing its capability on my 986.

I can also attest to the California Duster...gr8 product.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I've decided to upgrade my wheels to some 22's so want to go for new brake pads to minimize the dust problem I'm having now. Question is, what pads to go for?

Pagid were mentioned here and I found another post about Hawks ceramic pads on the forum. Any thoughts between these 2 or any other brands?