Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 AM
marios50 is on a distinguished road
Transmission Problem

Hey guys im new to this forum and i would like some help if u guys can help me with this problem. Here is the problem:

When i kick-down from 5th gear while driving under 48 km it takes me to 3rd gear and i hear a clanking noise.

Could u guys help?

btw i cleaned the transmission and also no fault codes come up on the diognostic.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2011, 05:36 AM
thor7000 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by marios50
Hey guys im new to this forum and i would like some help if u guys can help me with this problem. Here is the problem:

When i kick-down from 5th gear while driving under 48 km it takes me to 3rd gear and i hear a clanking noise.

Could u guys help?

btw i cleaned the transmission and also no fault codes come up on the diognostic.

Thanks
Sounds like your driveshaft is starting to go, apparently it is a common problem on the Cayennes!! My mechanic said mine has a very faint noise when he did a road test after our last service so I guess it's something I need to look at soon too.

I think Suncoast sells them on their website

Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by thor7000
Sounds like your driveshaft is starting to go, apparently it is a common problem on the Cayennes!! My mechanic said mine has a very faint noise when he did a road test after our last service so I guess it's something I need to look at soon too.

I think Suncoast sells them on their website

Thanks for the suggestion. Il wait for more answers

Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
What year Cayenne? The early ones had transmission problems involving the valve body (that controls the hydraulics in the trans) and the brain for the transmission (which tells the valve body what to do..)

Fix is a new valve body and replacement of the control module.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
What year Cayenne? The early ones had transmission problems involving the valve body (that controls the hydraulics in the trans) and the brain for the transmission (which tells the valve body what to do..)

Fix is a new valve body and replacement of the control module.
The year is 2004.So is that the only fix?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
AFAIK. I'd suggest joining http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php? so you can get access to all the Porsche Service Bulletins (the stuff the dealers get..) Since you own an '04 it would be money well spent.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Is it a once off clank or is it continuous clanking as your driving in 3rd gear?
If it is a one off clank/thud on downshift or upshift it is more than likely the transmission issue.
If it is a continuous clanking sound coming from under the forward part of the centre console area, it is likely to be your cardan shaft centre bearing support failing.

Last edited by Bigbuzuki; 07-14-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor
HouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really nice
If is the drive shaft bearing support it should be a consistent clunking and vibration feeling or noise from the center console to dash area. (please take it to a shop for inspection, should be able to check it within 20mins)

If you're getting a loud clanking noise and the car feels like someone rear ended you then it might be your valve body or other internal failure in the transmission like deilenberge said. good luck on your findings.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 PM
paulycw is on a distinguished road

Could u guys help?

Thanks
I had that problem when I was on 22's with 285/35/22, went back to stock 19's wheels and the clanking disappeared.

285/35/22 is quite a bit taller than the stock wheels and Wheel Enhancement told me that they have seen transmission failure from wrong tire sizes on AWD systems.

What size tire are you running?