Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Have an 08 Cayenne Turbo? Need Front Rotors? Found a deal...

Old 10-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Have an 08 Cayenne Turbo? Need Front Rotors? Found a deal...

As I found out earlier this year, the 08 CTT is an oddball in the Cayenne brake line up since it is the only one with 368mm front brakes/rotors.

When sourcing all of the parts for a brake/rotor refresh, I ran across a great deal on eBay for a new set of Brembo front rotors (I am not affiliated with the seller). Brembo makes the Porsche OE brakes, so this is getting around the P-tax we all know and love

The part numbers cross-reference on Brembo's online catalog:

http://brembo.mycarparts.net/#Porsche

http://brembo.mycarparts.net/product...n_id=762053719

Even with that said, the price is still lower than they should be. Suncoast parts (one of the cheapest parts dealers) has a new front set of rotors costing $334.66 + $40 shipped.

This eBay auction is selling the Brembo "premium coated" rotors for under $90/each + $10 S/H. So that is under $200 shipped for a front set vs ~ $375 shipped.

I already bought 2 sets, so I wanted to pass along the deal so someone else can save some easy buckaroos.

Note: I wouldn't put up this thread, if I didn't already buy and receive a set. They seem to be the genuine Brembo part.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 10-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 PM
rbb1991 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the deal. I'll order a couple sets myself.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:21 PM
bdtzmaru is on a distinguished road
Man, you keep finding outrages deals! This post is very timely since I have been told that I may need a brake job soon. Is it normal to change the rotors every time the pads are changed?

Old 10-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rbb1991
Thanks for the deal. I'll order a couple sets myself.
Cool

Originally Posted by bdtzmaru
Man, you keep finding outrages deals! This post is very timely since I have been told that I may need a brake job soon. Is it normal to change the rotors every time the pads are changed?
Hahaha... save a little here, mod a little more there

To answer your question, you do not need to change your rotor each time you need new brakes. The technical answer is that there is a min. accepted thickness for the rotor. These rotors have stamped into it that the min. thickness is 34mm (36mm when new). You are supposed to measure the thickness with a caliper to determine thickness of the rotor and then replace if below the min.

The general rule of thumb that I follow is to change out the rotor either every other brake change or after every third brake change. It depends on how aggressive (read: hard) your brake pad compound is on the rotor. For me, I change rotors every other brake change. If you run below the min, you risk a decrease in pedal feel and warping the rotors under high heat situations.

I bought 2 sets since this is a consumable item and it is only a matter of time before I will need a another set. The only thing better than 1 good deal, is 2 good deals

Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 PM
USAF CRO will become famous soon enough
Brake size question. I was told our 08, TTs were both 350mm variants but I pulled the rear rotors and they measured 358mm.

I haven't pulled the fronts, is it possible that Porsche was mistaken on the front rotors?

Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by USAF CRO
I haven't pulled the fronts, is it possible that Porsche was mistaken on the front rotors?

I doubt it. I know for a fact that the front rotors are 368mm x 36mm thick. I "believe" the rear are 350mm - unverified. FWIW, I have already installed these Brembo front rotors on my CTT and they were a perfect match!

Here is the Porsche document for the MY08 CTT front brake size:

Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I called sunset and they ran my vins. They told me both my turbos had 350mm fronts but never told me the size if the rears. I ended up buying some Chinese variants online and tried to install them but no luck...the rears are 358mm well over the 330 that we were shipped.

I thought I had read on this post that there were two 08' turbo brake variations through the year. Perhaps Porsche used up their remaining 350mm fronts before putting the 368mm brakes on in the later part of the production run?

What do you know?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
I called sunset and they ran my vins. They told me both my turbos had 350mm fronts but never told me the size if the rears. I ended up buying some Chinese variants online and tried to install them but no luck...the rears are 358mm well over the 330 that we were shipped.

I thought I had read on this post that there were two 08' turbo brake variations through the year. Perhaps Porsche used up their remaining 350mm fronts before putting the 368mm brakes on in the later part of the production run?

What do you know?
Hmm.. that is weird- I have not heard of a split year. Your sig does not list your MY08. Do you have an MY07 (first year of the face lift) or MY08? I have a lot of Porsche technical documents. Give me some time to dig through it all and post up the most relevant documents/images.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
We have two 08' TT peppers. His and hers, since our kids outnumber seats in the 996.

So, I need to be shopping for 368 fronts, 358 rears?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 PM
loveivs is on a distinguished road
Renaissance.Man, You are definitely the hero!!
I've been looking for good quality replacement rotor for long time. Because of the weird rotor size our car has, I can't find any brake company making them UNTIL NOW.
I believe our factory rotor is PN 09.9870.10 Oe Replacement. Your find is PN 09.9870.11 Premium Uv Coated Oe Replacement. How good is it compare to our factory rotor? I assume the UV coat is a gold layer pre-sprayed on the rotor surface. Just like the Brembo BBK rotor we often see. Do you have a "before" and "after" picture?
I recently got the pads changed. It has done no more than 6000km since the beginning of this year, rarely aggressive driving, ctt is my DD. Milage was mostly done between the distance of home and office. I was surprised only 40-45% pad was left. The OEM pads is Brembo, it shouldn't be that bad
Do you have similar experience with the factory pads?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Yea, the factory set up eats pads and rotors quick, especially out here in the Vegas heat.

I did some research at the dealership today...who ever told me I had 350mm fronts at sunset Porsche was on crack. Both trucks have 368mm fronts and 358mm rears.

I'm thinking about buying a complete set on eBay and just not worrying about it. I knocked out the rear pads, sensor and rotor in about an hour a wheel with no air tools...so basically, I'm not giving anyone a single $ for labor. I'm going to use the savings for a good set of intakes and secondary deletes.

Got any idea on the best quality aftermarket set up?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by loveivs
Renaissance.Man, You are definitely the hero!!
Gee... thanks

I believe our factory rotor is PN 09.9870.10 Oe Replacement. Your find is PN 09.9870.11 Premium Uv Coated Oe Replacement. How good is it compare to our factory rotor? I assume the UV coat is a gold layer pre-sprayed on the rotor surface. Just like the Brembo BBK rotor we often see. Do you have a "before" and "after" picture?
You are right. I believe the factory OE Brembo replacement is the 09.9870.10, where the "premium" Brembo replacement is 09.9870.11.

Sorry, I did not take any before and after pictures, since the "after" would have been used rotors - so not an apples to apples comparison. However, I did noticed when they arrived that the hat area received a thicker, dark-grey metallic paint of much better quality around this area (see original attachment). It is visibly more attractive and should provide better corrosion resistance. Compare this to the factory rotor, where you pretty much see a matte grey primer sort of finish that should some minor hint of rust after a couple of years. This one should hold up much better.

I have been on this Brembo rotor set for about 2,000 miles. Fits like a glove! Very happy with this purchase. Anyone else who jumped on it will be ecstatic too. Very glad I have a spare set in my garage.

I recently got the pads changed. It has done no more than 6000km since the beginning of this year, rarely aggressive driving, ctt is my DD. Milage was mostly done between the distance of home and office. I was surprised only 40-45% pad was left. The OEM pads is Brembo, it shouldn't be that bad
Do you have similar experience with the factory pads?
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I will not be qualified to answer this question since I have primarily aggressive miles on my CTT (read: so this isn't a GT2?!) so I swapped out the factory pads for Carbotech XP8 light race/autocross pads on it daily. Much better grip with the SS lines and Castrol SRF fluid swap.

I did some research at the dealership today...who ever told me I had 350mm fronts at sunset Porsche was on crack. Both trucks have 368mm fronts and 358mm rears.
Great - thanks for confirming. Glad to see that I was not the one misleading you.

I knocked out the rear pads, sensor and rotor in about an hour a wheel with no air tools...so basically, I'm not giving anyone a single $ for labor. I'm going to use the savings for a good set of intakes and secondary deletes.
Now that is what I like to hear! Good work! The torque values are pretty high, wait until you do the front (I think 200 ft lbs or so). Make sure your torque wrench is capable of these high values. I had to buy a new 1/2" torque wrench to handle this level of calibration. I also use the money to get more mods. More toys = good.

Got any idea on the best quality aftermarket set up?
In terms of what, just rotors? If so, stick with Brembo - for OE rotors they use some pretty good cross-vane ventilation that helps to wick away heat.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Leonardo, I'm looking for the whole shebang an the cheap...I'm lusting over your HP gain and can put up with a few squeaks to justify the $ re-prioritization. I like the look of the cross drilled and slotted rotors...
http://brakeperformance.com/brakes/2...ke-rotors.html

Thoughts?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm lusting over your HP gain
Join us! There is only a couple of members now, but I am guessing that there will be more 700hp CTTs in a little while with the entry price dropping.

I'm looking for the whole shebang an the cheap.
Sorry, no free meal here. You have to pay to play :P

I like the look of the cross drilled and slotted rotors...
http://brakeperformance.com/brakes/2...ke-rotors.html

Thoughts?
Cross-drilled /slotted rotors look aesthetically pleasing and may have a slight advantage in the wet when it comes to clearing off the water. However, all of these little holes/slots add up to "loss surface area". So you are effectively decreasing the size of your rotor and the clamping force applied by the caliper. Which is counter-productive to a brake upgrade. Not to mention that in any high-heat stress situation, like track use, will increase the odds of cracks/fractures forming between the drilled holes.

So my advice, is that unless you have ALOT of surface area, is to stick with a solid rotor for the best brake performance.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 12-01-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM
USAF CRO,

Here you go, I googled "porsche drilled rotor crack" for you

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...MY680AHz_oDQDA

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have an 08 Cayenne Turbo? Need Front Rotors? Found a deal...