Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Quick Review of EBC Red Brake Pads on 2006 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM
ExEngineer will become famous soon enoughExEngineer will become famous soon enough
Quick Review of EBC Red Brake Pads on 2006 Turbo S

I could not solve the squealing and dust problems with my OEM pads, so I finally decided to move to an aftermarket pad. (Thanks Porsche dealer for your very helpful "That's normal, we can't do anything about it" statement regarding the ever present, ear-numbing squeal that lasted for 5000 miles.)

The Cayenne is a daily driver and never sees track time, so after reading lots of reviews the EBC Red pads seemed to be a good fit. I had to contact EBC via email to get confirmation on the pads, because various sites listed different numbers for the 380mm Turbo S rotors. For reference, here are the correct part numbers for 955 Turbo S:

Fronts: DP31905C
Rears: DP31474C

Price was $103 and $73 respectively from amazon.

So how did they work?

Squeal: No squeal after initial installation. After 700 miles, a quiet squeal started, but nothing like OEM. At 750 miles, I did EBC's recommended bedding procedure: 60-0 five times in quick succession, followed by a cool-off drive. That stopped the squeal and it hasn't return. Absolutely, delightfully silent on my rush-hour commutes.

Dust: None (or at least very, very little)

Initial Bite: same as OEM.

Fade: Definitely significant fade when you heat them up. However, I have only heated them up during the bed-in. My regular driving is never going to get them seriously hot, so fade is not a regular issue. I note that when I did a similar bed-in procedure on the OEMs, there was very little fade.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Saggio is on a distinguished road
I can second your review. Love my EBC Red's and EBC rotors.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
EBC also markets their "Yellow" friction material as being usuable for street driving while having better high temp performance. What is the advantage of using "Reds" instead of "Yellows"?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Time for new pads on my 08CTT would the part numbers be the same?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
ez1973 will become famous soon enoughez1973 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for your review. I have a set in my garage waiting to install. Looking forward to the reduced brake dust - OEM is ridiculous to keep clean. Did you replace the rotors at the same time, and if so, did you use OEM?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
My results were very similar, however I could NOT deal with the fade of these, that's an issue for me. Took the reds out and currently running OEM. MUCH better bite, in my experience. Thinking of doing the Yellows, but would like to know if anyone has tried them.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:00 PM
ExEngineer will become famous soon enoughExEngineer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
Time for new pads on my 08CTT would the part numbers be the same?
Part numbers are different for the CTT due to the different size rotors (at least in the front).

As for the difference between Yellow and Red, Yellows are closer to OEM. They will have more dust, more bite, less fade, and are more likely to squeal. This is all from EBC's website.

I did not replace the rotors when they installed the EBC pads. I had recently (<4000 miles) replaced the pads and rotors (OEM) and there was no problem using those rotors with the new pads. Looked at turning them to true them up, but they were in such good shape we didn't even touch them.

Last edited by ExEngineer; 05-02-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
Thinking of doing the Yellows, but would like to know if anyone has tried them.
I am running the EBC yellows now The net? Better performance than OEM padgid, not as good as Carbotech XP8. Some brake squeal.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 PM
2gofast is on a distinguished road
I would like to discuss you experience. Can you PM me? I cannot PM yet.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
I am running the EBC yellows now The net? Better performance than OEM padgid, not as good as Carbotech XP8. Some brake squeal.
Thanks, how do they do with heat/high speed stopping?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:37 PM
CSM Diesel is a jewel in the roughCSM Diesel is a jewel in the roughCSM Diesel is a jewel in the roughCSM Diesel is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ExEngineer
Part numbers are different for the CTT due to the different size rotors (at least in the front).

As for the difference between Yellow and Red, Yellows are closer to OEM. They will have more dust, more bite, less fade, and are more likely to squeal. This is all from EBC's website.

I did not replace the rotors when they installed the EBC pads. I had recently (<4000 miles) replaced the pads and rotors (OEM) and there was no problem using those rotors with the new pads. Looked at turning them to true them up, but they were in such good shape we didn't even touch them.
How are the Red's faring for you now? Still quiet, brake dust free, etc.? The stock pads are embarrassingly loud and dirty, and I am looking to quell both those ailments.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
EBC Reds are still doing well. Minimal brake dust, barely any squeal. When the rotors get dirty from all the salt and slush debris here in Chicago, they will start to make noise, but a quick wash and everything is back to quiet again. Occasionally I miss the full bite of the OEMs under hard braking, but that happens so rarely for my driving conditions that the daily driving and cosmetic benefits far outweigh the slight loss of performance.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM
carreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the rough
Posi Quiet extended wear. great pads. They also come with bolt and spring hardware.

I also bought the ELine rotors with a 20% off sale ... which they have all the time.

http://www.r1concepts.com/?utm_sourc...FQSk4AodOhQAZw

Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM
User 8122 is on a distinguished road
I have the EBC yellow pads and they are so much cleaner than stock with very minimal dust.

I haven't had any squealing and I put on the fronts in August and the rears this past month.

I don't brake hard often but the bite seems the same to me.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I also ran the Red's and had a serious issue with fade. In fact, they never bit well and glazed over my rotors which led to warping and cracking. My feeling is that if you ever really need them from a high speed, they wont be there.

On the other hand, I am now running the yellows and centric cryo-treated rotors. Hada slight hint of squeal the first 1000, the absolutely quiet. I am very happy with the performance.

While the Red's gave off little to no dust, the yellows are still not even half as bad as the factory Pagid's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quick Review of EBC Red Brake Pads on 2006 Turbo S