Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Empirical CAI Value. Does It Exist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Empirical CAI Value. Does It Exist?

We've all read the CAI questions and debates. Some have tried them and believe the only change is audible. So, has anyone here actually installed a CAI on a Cayenne (forget the anecdotal information on what it did for your 911 or M3) who actually has demonstrable evidence on the efficacy, or not, of a CAI installed on a CAYENNE - with before and after dyno results to show the change - if any. I'm interested in seeing if any claim of improvement on a Cayenne can be substantiated.

Last edited by denversteve; 10-05-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
No data exist that support the use of a CAI system in the Cayenne.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
I am thinking that if there is actually an increase in power the makers of CAIs would have documented it. If it makes more power they would sell a ton for sure.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:16 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
I've always thought the biggest problem with the so-called CAIs is that they're actually HAIs (hot air injectiors - power killers) because the cone filters usually are located under the hood where the ambient temperature are far higher than the cold air be drawn in from the stock inlet tubes where the inlets are typcially located behind the front grille (and not under the hood). You frequently see CAIs with purported hot air heat shields, but how effective are those really?

To me, the best compromise for greater potential cold air flow into the engine is swapping the stock air filters for a set of BMCs or K&Ns. But doing this brings the next debates about how much additional dirt passes through the lower restriction filters and whether the oil used on them ultimately trashes your MAF.

Since my CTTS daily driver is just that, and not an optimized competition vehicle, I don't see either CAIs or oily panel filters raising its game enough to even bother with. I run factory filters in mine and plan to continue doing so. I'd buy an ECU tune long before I'd waste money on any CAI option.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
They Do

THEY do. But real-world, demonstrable evidence and manufacturer's claims frequently differ. I've never seen anyone who has repeated the claims of CAI manufacturers. And here, specifically on a Cayenne.

EVO says this about theirs:-HP Gain: 10-12- tested on our 2005 Cayenne S using a Mustang 500SE AWD dyno. An average of 5 runs were done for each test.

And Agency Power says: Our dyno test shows a consistent gain of about 16hp and torque on our Mustang AWD dyno with 91 octane.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:26 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Tricky things dyno tests on modern vehicles. The ECU's are adaptive, and learn your driving style. If you change something - the ECU may offer up more power to begin with, but eventually it will retune the engine and the "more power" goes away. That may not happen if you up the turbo boost, or completely modify the intake AND exhaust track.. but for simple changes like CAI's or different filters - it is frequently the case.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 PM
aspenone will become famous soon enoughaspenone will become famous soon enough
My take on it is, I think simply bolting on an intake and and other mods like bypass pipes and diverter valves may increase some HP but without a tune you wont get the most bang for the buck. A proper tune to adjust the values is necessary, without it your just simply bolting on parts and not getting the most performance out of the parts you just purchased. Like mentioned above increasing the boost etc and adjusting the air/fuel curves for the mods you just installed

Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks but now gone way off course. I, and we are all aware of the facts presented. I am asking simply for anyone who might have empirical evidence on CAI's. Only CAI's. Thanks. Other "bolt ons" have their own dubious distinctions.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:33 PM
aspenone will become famous soon enoughaspenone will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by denversteve
Thanks but now gone way off course. I, and we are all aware of the facts presented. I am asking simply for anyone who might have empirical evidence on CAI's. Only CAI's. Thanks. Other "bolt ons" have their own dubious distinctions.
Ahhh I understand sorry man was just discussing what I thought about them...as far as just numbers i know Renasiance Man has dynoed his car he might be able to chime in on numbers for the CAI, hes pretty up on whats power and whats just show