Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

reprogram trasmission.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Alx5 is on a distinguished road
reprogram trasmission.

Has anyone had it done to your Cayenne? If yes, what symptoms did your car have or why you did it?
I have 04 CTT with 97600 miles. Last week my car was acting weird. First it was stuck at 5th gear. I got the code clear by my indi. I took it home and parked in the garage while waiting for the part then two days later it won't drive when I shifted either auto or manual. I had to turn off and turn back on then it drove. However, it jerked hard when it first moved.
I took to the indy to change the input speed sensor. I told him about the car won't drive when I shift it. He changed the input speed sensor and was able to experience the car won't drive when he shifted. He did the research and reboot the transmission with his computer. The car acted fine after the reboot. It still has a little hesitation at 2nd gear. He thinks most likely I need to have my car reprogram the transmission.
I know with BMW you need to update the transmission software. I am new to Porsche. Any input or suggestion is welcome.

ALX5

Old 12-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I think I understand your question here. Pretty much all you can do is to "reset adaptation" values via Durametric or PIWIS. Not sure what you mean by your mechanic "reboot"ed your transmission since it really doesn't work that way. I suppose he could have done a "handover" but that does not seem called for from what you are saying.

All the "adaptation reset" does is reset the TCU learning logic.

If you did this first and still experiencing transmission issues, sounds like you may need a replacement transmission valvebody which is common and around $1K in costs. Do some research on this and you will find many many many threads.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks Renaissance.Man. this will give me an idea to tell him. I pulled a code 721 couple days ago and wait to show him this code. BTW, how do I reset adaptation with Durametric. Thanks again for your help.
Another thing is my 04 CTT now shifts to 1st gear first then to 2nd gear. I read in here and in Rennlist, it was supposed to go to 2nd gear first. Is that correct.

Happy Holidays

ALX5

Last edited by Alx5; 12-24-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alx5
BTW, how do I reset adaptation with Durametric.
Here is a link to the Durametric User Manual:

http://www.durametric.com/Durametric...ion_Manual.pdf

To reset the transmission adaptation, it would be listed under the "transmission" section in the left tree, then either under "commands" or "reset".

Another thing is my 04 CTT now shifts to 1st gear first then to 2nd gear. I read in here and in Rennlist, it was supposed to go to 2nd gear first. Is that correct.
The Cayenne TCU is programmed to start in 2nd gear from a stop for fuel efficiency reasons. The exception to this is the 957 Cayenne, which included a "Sport" button that would then engage 1st gear.

If your 955 is starting in first gear by default and the TCU was not replaced, then I would suspect something is awry. Once again, would be suspicious of the valvebody. However, I would let someone else make that final determination.

Happy Holidays
Happy Holidays to you as well!

Old 12-25-2014, 10:59 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry but if you have to tell your mechanic what to check in your transmission ..... you need a new mechanic.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:15 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man

To reset the transmission adaptation, it would be listed under the "transmission" section in the left tree, then either under "commands" or "reset".

The Cayenne TCU is programmed to start in 2nd gear from a stop for fuel efficiency reasons. The exception to this is the 957 Cayenne, which included a "Sport" button that would then engage 1st gear.

If your 955 is starting in first gear by default and the TCU was not replaced, then I would suspect something is awry. Once again, would be suspicious of the valvebody. However, I would let someone else make that final determination.

Unless it's in manual mode with PSM off, then it will start in 1st by default.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Unless it's in manual mode with PSM off, then it will start in 1st by default.
Thanks - forgot about manually selecting 1st gear.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:03 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Thanks - forgot about manually selecting 1st gear.
Actually I said that wrong, in Auto mode with PSM off it will select 1st as default.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by denversteve
Sorry but if you have to tell your mechanic what to check in your transmission ..... you need a new mechanic.
+1!

To the OP;

There are three connectors on the rear of the transmission. Two of the plugs go to the transmission internal harness. The other connector go's to the shift selector mechanism on the side of the transmission.

Unplug the two connectors for the transmission internal harness and check for fluid in them. The harness is known to leak after time and basicly trans. fluid builds up inside the connectors and causes all sorts of strange issues. You may not be so lucky but it is the first thing you should check at this point.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:25 PM
I used Durametric to pull the code and found 721 and 731. I took to another mechanic and he said maybe I need a new transmission. He suggested bringing it to the dealer to have it check out. will do it tomorrow.
In the mean time I called around and was quoted a transmission range from 2500 - 7000. Will see what happen.

ALX5

Old 03-25-2015, 10:41 AM
grdlaw is on a distinguished road
Can this be reset using Enthusiast Durametric?

Can this be reset using Enthusiast Durametric?

Update: Yes I was able to reset it with the Durametric Enthusiast model.

Last edited by grdlaw; 03-25-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
yup. in 955 CTT, if you turn off PSM, it will start from stop in gear 1. Otherwise it does start from gear 2 when in auto mode.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:52 AM
joeadzz is on a distinguished road
I am currently having similar issue with my 04CS with the transmission kicking down from 3rd gear. The symptom feels like something pushing from the back of the car before it turns from 3rd gear to 2nd when coming to a stop. I am hoping resetting the transmission will fix this?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by joeadzz
I am currently having similar issue with my 04CS with the transmission kicking down from 3rd gear. The symptom feels like something pushing from the back of the car before it turns from 3rd gear to 2nd when coming to a stop. I am hoping resetting the transmission will fix this?

That sounds more like the valve body. On mine at least if I floored it while cruising at about 50mph it felt like I hit a stump.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks Renaissance.Man. this will give me an idea to tell him. I pulled a code 721 couple days ago and wait to show him this code. BTW, how do I reset adaptation with Durametric. Thanks again for your help.

Happy Holidays

ALX5

I know this is old but looking at it again did you ever get it fixed? If it was having issues figuring out what gear it was in or where to shift you might have them look at the "sunshade" on the shifter too. It's got little magnets that tell the TCM where the lever is. It should still work ok in auto mode though if this were the problem. Just an idea.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: reprogram trasmission.