Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

re-built a 08 CTT engine; need help with install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Whendricks is on a distinguished road
re-built a 08 CTT engine; need help with install

Hi everyone,

Last year I bought a 2008 Cayenne Twin Turbo with the engine removed from the vehicle. I thought I bought it from an idiot who tackled a task that was too big for him to handle. I find I am now this idiot. My father is a mechanic and me an Engineer, and I thought this would be a fun bonding experience. It has been fun for the most part, and we both now have an even greater appreciation for German Engineering. We actually managed to rebuild the engine (with hundred of pictures to aid in reassembly), and even installed the engine and transmission back in the CTT. But after 6 months of effort, we are struggling with piecing together all the tubes, pipes and electrical. As we make progress we realize that the person who sold us the CTT did not include all the parts.

Sorry for the long winded back story, but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of their CTT engine and how all the tubes, pipes and possibly wiring is connected. Or better yet if someone has a diagram how everything is connected would be very helpful. We are determined to get this done in the next couple months, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

In addition to asking for help, if there's anything I can do to help other people with this exceptionally difficult task, please let me know. We basically tore the engine down to the block, re-sleeved a couple scratched cylinders, and rebuilt it up from there.

Cheers,

Wally

Old 04-05-2016, 07:33 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Whendricks
Hi everyone,

Last year I bought a 2008 Cayenne Twin Turbo with the engine removed from the vehicle. I thought I bought it from an idiot who tackled a task that was too big for him to handle. I find I am now this idiot. My father is a mechanic and me an Engineer, and I thought this would be a fun bonding experience. It has been fun for the most part, and we both now have an even greater appreciation for German Engineering. We actually managed to rebuild the engine (with hundred of pictures to aid in reassembly), and even installed the engine and transmission back in the CTT. But after 6 months of effort, we are struggling with piecing together all the tubes, pipes and electrical. As we make progress we realize that the person who sold us the CTT did not include all the parts.

Sorry for the long winded back story, but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of their CTT engine and how all the tubes, pipes and possibly wiring is connected. Or better yet if someone has a diagram how everything is connected would be very helpful. We are determined to get this done in the next couple months, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

In addition to asking for help, if there's anything I can do to help other people with this exceptionally difficult task, please let me know. We basically tore the engine down to the block, re-sleeved a couple scratched cylinders, and rebuilt it up from there.

Cheers,

Wally
One thing you can do is look at the parts diagrams for any given sub assembly and it will give you a good idea of what parts are supposed to be there down to details such as screws and clips. Online parts places often have the Porsche exploded diagrams.

I assume you rebuilt the engine with the aid of a factory service manual?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Whendricks is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
One thing you can do is look at the parts diagrams for any given sub assembly and it will give you a good idea of what parts are supposed to be there down to details such as screws and clips. Online parts places often have the Porsche exploded diagrams.

I assume you rebuilt the engine with the aid of a factory service manual?
Thanks for the suggestion. I've pretty exhausted all the current resources I have access to such various parts websites, and suppliers (including from the Porsche dealership). Google images has even helped occasionally, but I am getting stuck at the finer details of reassembly. another great resource was 'Porsche Workshop Manuals', but with the internet you really have to verify most of the info you find.

In regards to the rebuild, since Porsche manuals no longer seem to exist (at least for the 08 CTT), I relied on aftermarket manuals and websites, and confirmed all torque specs and tightening sequences with Porsche directly. I even had a tech visit to perform the timing to spec. It was tedious and onerous, but since Porsche is very tight with their tech laptops, there really isn't any other option.

Last edited by Whendricks; 04-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.