Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 PM
drmindbender is an unknown quantity at this point
The other connector on the module is for the European retractable tow ball. Not used for North America Cayennes. They look interesting but have a lower towing capacity.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Don hitchman is an unknown quantity at this point
Trailer hitch connector

Originally Posted by drmindbender
The other connector on the module is for the European retractable tow ball. Not used for North America Cayennes. They look interesting but have a lower towing capacity.
Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about! The second plug on the module plugs into the vehicle's wiring harness and completes the circuit!
It has nothing to do with the euro retractable hitch!!
The harness from the tow hitch plugs into the wiring harness in the rear corner under the taillight. The other plug connectsconnects to the tow module. Without the other plug(onboard) from the vehicle's wiring harness, there is no connection to the vehicle computers!!

Old 03-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Ha! I had assumed they had found the pigtail from the chassis...Some modules have a 3rd connector, that is the one for the Euro tow ball...that is the one I thought of!

I see now which one he meant, you have to pull the CD changer out (if installed) and pull out most of the side panel to reach the chassis pigtail installed by the factory. I had to pull off the roof panel and the panel with the speaker, then the side panel. Stick your hand way back and you'll find it...

Old 03-16-2019, 03:35 PM
Same thing for the brake controller, there is a factory pigtail above the brake pedal in the dash. I didn't have to take anything apart to find it, but it was tucked away. Still had the foam wrapped around the end. My rear pigtail still had the foam wrap on the connector also.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Don hitchman is an unknown quantity at this point
Tow hitch

Originally Posted by drmindbender
Ha! I had assumed they had found the pigtail from the chassis...Some modules have a 3rd connector, that is the one for the Euro tow ball...that is the one I thought of!

I see now which one he meant, you have to pull the CD changer out (if installed) and pull out most of the side panel to reach the chassis pigtail installed by the factory. I had to pull off the roof panel and the panel with the speaker, then the side panel. Stick your hand way back and you'll find it...
That is the other module, the one that is installed on the assembly line...it has multiple ports. The one I referred to is the control module supplied with the retrofit hitch assembly kit.
I appreciate the reply.