Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Anyone have metal cooling pipes fail and had to redo again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:12 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Question Anyone have metal cooling pipes fail and had to redo again

Just wondering if folks on here had cooling pipes done with metal ones, then some time later (years), had another coolant leak and had to do the repair again.
I had my pipes done by shop about 2 years ago. Metal pipes put in, replaced the pipes, associated seals, water pump, thermostat, starter, coolant vent line under intake that connects to both sides of intake (the long Y looking thin plastic pipe near left or passenger bank of cylinders).

Last week went into the garage, and saw pool of coolant under the driver seat area on garage floor.
Now, thinking it could be the T connections (two of them, one small T and another large T), that are plastic.
Took the intake out, looking in and observed some coolant near/unde the starter area (under left or pass. bank of cylinders), under the pipes near the thermostat area, also see some coolant under the right bank of cylinders, inside the V of engine.
Did not really see much wetness near back where the T connectors are.
Planning to do a pressure test when my tool comes in (hoping tomorrow).

Looking for folks to look over the pics/vid, and tell me if they see suspect info that can make PD easier or direct to an area.
Placed my pics on google drive HERE. Look through (sorry, was taking valves condition pics too, while i was there, seem to look good).
Thank you for help.

Last edited by ciaka; 01-28-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:33 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
...so, have intake off, pressurized system, found leak. Large T. Still puzzled why some coolant was in valley of engine. Could the large T breach and spray some into it?

Last edited by ciaka; 01-29-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:44 AM
Here are my new replacement Ts, from JagsThatRun.com. They charged me $24 per each T, shipping $10 to country of Texas, total $58 delivered within about 4 days total. So turn around was super quick and I am super happy.
Also ordered OEM hoses that include the plastic Ts. Will remove hoses from those Ts, and install on the metal ones for installation onto the car. Then will do the pressure test again to make sure no other leaks are there, and then onto putting all back together.
Ordered from here in case you have same issue.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Gents, here are my old pipes for you to stare...lol. Still waiting for oem hose Ts to arrive, so I can put it all together, but at least got to the leak. There was some coolant in the valley, but some told me their large T burst resulted in coolant in valley too. I hope he is right. In mean time, let me know if you spot anything i should be looking at replacing in pipes area (seals, misalignment, etc). Thank you.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:36 AM
As an update, the large T (part of a water hose assembly), made of plastic, cracked right at the T junction, underneath the part of hose slid over the plastic and clamped.
There are two Ts on Cayenne Turbos, large and a small one. They are both made of hard plastic. This means, after 40 or 50k miles of replacement with new parts, you will be back in there, replacing yet again.
To remedy this, I ordered two aluminum Ts, meaning I will never have to worry about the Ts leaking again.
Adding to the crack, I also noticed that the large coolant pipe water hose (short and large rubber hose connecting the large coolant pipe with 2 clamps), was leaking at bottom as well. This was discovered after i replaced the Ts, and did a pressure test on coolant. The problem revealed itself right away.
I am waiting for some parts, as I am now replacing all seals on all coolant pipes. It turns out my Porsche dealer had these parts much cheaper than any other place I found it at online. So check dealer near you first. Parts will be here in 2 days.

Parts I ordered for the fix of broken Ts - 05 Cayenne Turbo:
- Water hose - PN 955 106 322 00, qty: 1 - water hose connecting to left most (passenger side) small cooling pipe with clamps
- Water hose - PN 955 106 323 50, qty: 1 - water hose with plastic Ts (large) - cut off metal clamps, put onto new aluminum Ts, use steel clamps
- Water hose - PN 948 106 035 51, qty: 1 - water hose with plastic Ts (small) - cut off metal clamps and put onto new aluminum T, use steel clamps
- Aluminum T (large) - 1" x 3/4" x 1" - Order Here
- Aluminum T (large) - 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4" - Order Here
- Hose clamps large and small - Orileys or your favorite auto parts store

Other parts:
- Intake gasket - PN 948 110 145 01 - Qty: 2 (one for each bank)
- 2FT Flexible Wire Long Reach Hose Clamp Pliers - I would not attempt this without these pliers as some clamps are so deep and tight they cannot be reached with anything else - about 15 bucks off ebay

After discovering leaking cooling pipe seals, I ordered the following seals to replace:
- PN 999 707 517 41 - Qty: 4 - for small cooling pipes seals
- PN 999 707 518 41 - Qty: 2 - for small cooling pipes seals - the driver side pipe
- PN 999 707 370 41 - Qty: 4 - for large cooling pipe (2 seals for end going into thermostat and another 2 seals for adapter going into large pipe)
- PN 948 106 240 00 - Qty: 1 - short water hose joining large cooling pipe to water housing
I reused clamps for the short water hose, but if you want to buy one, PN is 999 512 389 01.
My local dealer happened to have all the seals for much cheaper than anywhere online I could find them, had most in stock, and others would arrive within 2 days.
So I hope to have this sucker back working this coming weekend. It would be sweet, still very much enjoy driving this car.

Here are the pics of pipes ordered, on the metal Ts, and what my hand looked like after completing the swap. Now you should understand why you would need to get cable pliers.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Dont know if it is a good idea, but I will wrap the coolant vent line in a heat shield (1500F direct contact protection). My hopes are keep the line cooler, so it lasts longer.
I am installing all the stuff back in (finally all parts are in), so stop me if you think it is a terrible idea. Aviation safety wire (thanks to my track moto tools), will hold it all together.
Here is what it looks like...
hope all gets put together today/tonight.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Blubayou is on a distinguished road
Although I have not replaced the pipes on my 08M CS, I have post coolant leaks after a thermostat water pump replacement. I have attached a photo of a thermostat intake socket where it has evidence of oxidation where the leak path was. I replaced the socket with an OEM and so fat so good. By the way, the coolant leak was dripping out of bell housing, which I thought was trans fluid. Made the socket repair and dripping stopped, a

nd I whiped the sweat from my brow.