Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Door Ambient Lighting Issues - Anyone with experience???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 06:09 PM
Corvetteboy6988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry Tjap, I never saw your edit.
The rear comfort control module basically sits right above the right rear tire, you can barely see it throught the rear side access panel in the rear luggage area, and if you have a tow module, its right in front of it. I put my tow module in myself, and its within reach of the access panel, but still tough to do, so for the comfort module, you have to remove a lot of interior panels to get to it, which takes some time. But of course the dealer did all this.
Yes, I did ask for the module back, and doi plan to send it to a automotive module repair place for analysis. I had did this with another car, one which the dealer said needed a new body control module. I had the module tested and it was fine, so my credit card company went after the dealer to get my money back since the module was not really bad. A lot of shady dealers out there, so I always ask for parts back to double check their work.
Its not a top priority for me right now, but will write back once I get the module checked out. Not dutch at all to ask, stupid if you dont in my opinion, you cant trust anyone these days, which is unfortunate.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Tjap is an unknown quantity at this point
I just found out something crazy about this subject...

After the investigation about the Ambient Lights in the interior doorhandles, earlier posted in this thread, I quited at the mercy of not having those "Ambient Door Lighting" installed in my car, and letting it rest.

But today, I ran a test on my Cayenne, using VCDS.

This test, I found located at: Comfort System/46-Central Conv/, it showed me all the functions the car has. It performed a headlightwash!!
I didn't even know, my car had that option!! I saw 2 little peaces of plastic in the bumper, but did not know they were operable!
And more funny stuff. It also did a tire test, I think! Can my car blow its own tires??
Very very nice, for testing!
The function would be performed, after I confirmed the action. Stuff like Foglights, Cornering Lights, All dashboardlights,
interior- and outside luminations and Lighting.

But then some "Interior Light" options came on my screen...
All the interior lights the car has, where eluminated one by one, after I pressed: "Do it!" :-)
I felt it coming... Soon I will read something about the Ambient Interior Door Light Illumination, and it did, it appeared on my screen.
For one second I thought: "Would it?"
And it did.. The so wanted orange door lumination light, lit up...

I stopped the test, and stared at the orange light, coming from the doorhandle.
Not knowing what to do, I pressed next. That means the test has ended, that particular test is finished performing,
and the light of that test would soon disappear.. And it did, all the rest of the ilumination in the door stayed on, I had my door open,
but the door ambient light behind the armrest, disappearred.
But next question on my screen was if I want to test the door lights, in a door, in the back-part of the car.
So I could see it another time! Worked also!

-They were very very faint, at it's very lowest settings, I think.-
But clearly, I saw them working, I even looked at it from close, and could see them very faint...

My car battery started complaining by then, I mean the Porsche started to complain and throw "peeps" at me, because of low voltage,

using a diagnostic tool like VCDS, takes a lot of battery from the car.

So I stopped. Tommorow a new day, I know exactly how I can reproduce this test now. So I will tomorrow.

I did take 2 pictures of the menu in VCDS, the location I found this testing options. (And maybe programming.)
VCDS will hopefully lead me to the location of this door ambient light programming, now I have leads!

There are a few possibilities, I think.

-We know the Ambient Door Lighting is working, I have seen them working, so it's not a technical thing. The lighting is in the door, the wires are connected to it, and during the test all the lights in that door lit up together, so technically nothing is stopping it from working...

Anybody an idea about this?

I also will investigate further...

Old 10-30-2020, 11:59 PM
With a Volkswagen, (Also using VCDS) which is simular to our cayenne, somes guys coded it through Central Electronics Module: /09 - Central Electronics/16 - Security Access ----> enter: 3134/ and then via Coding – Long coding:

/Byte 17/Bit 1 ticked, Bit 2 ticked/

Last edited by Tjap; 10-31-2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-02-2020, 12:09 PM
I am still going in many directions, to get the "Ambient Door Armrest Lighting" to work.

I was always thinking it is connected somehow with the Ambient Footwell Lighting, which works fine in my car, and I can controll it(Set different levels of the strength) by the overhead roof panel dim switch.

Since the day, I own the car, I get an VCDS error concerning the Footwell Lights:
02197 - Footwell Light Regulator (E398)
008 - Implausible Signal

But the Dimming Switch for the Footwell Lighting works just fine, so I never paid much attention to it.
I also saw many many other Cayenne Turbo Owners have this same error.
So I was thinking maybe VCDS interpreteted that "Footwell light dimming Switch" wrong.

To be sure, I took out the Overhead Roof panel completely.

Wanted to move the cables a bit, and see if the Door Armrest Lighting might switch on for a sec.

Taking it out, I discovered some stuff I didn't expect...

-The lighting in the doors(Window up/down, lock/unlock, and the doorhandle itselve, aren't controlled with the same Dimmer Switch as the Footwell Lighting(Overhead Panel Dimswitch.)
-The strength of the lighting in de doors is controlled bij the dimswitch in the dashboard, the one that also controls the strength of the dashboardlighting!

So in my car, the footwell lighting is controlled by the Overhead Roof dim switch. And the Dashboard- and Door Lighting is controlled bij the dashboardswitch(Close to the "general car light switch")...

-Even with the complete overhead panel removed, the footwell lighting is working..

-I do see some electrical locations in the overhead panel, that look corroded and not real good. But when I follow that location, it ends at the "Set parkinghelp on/off button" on the other side of the panel, which is still working fine.

-I see some open wires that end up at the, seems like "Ventilation holes", next to the "drivers little light button". I will include some pictures.

Learned a lot, but I am not suspecting the VCDS error message: 02197 - Footwell Light Regulator (E398) 008 - Implausible Signal, has anything to do with the dimswitch in the overhead panel. And also not with the Ambient Amrest Lights, that are not working in my car.

Would the "Footwell Light Regulator (E398)" be located INSIDE the Comfort Module???

I am starting to suspect, this is the case.

Last edited by Tjap; 11-02-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:58 AM
greymda is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tjap
I am still going in many directions, to get the "Ambient Door Armrest Lighting" to work.

I was always thinking it is connected somehow with the Ambient Footwell Lighting, which works fine in my car, and I can controll it(Set different levels of the strength) by the overhead roof panel dim switch.

Since the day, I own the car, I get an VCDS error concerning the Footwell Lights:
02197 - Footwell Light Regulator (E398)
008 - Implausible Signal

But the Dimming Switch for the Footwell Lighting works just fine, so I never paid much attention to it.
I also saw many many other Cayenne Turbo Owners have this same error.
So I was thinking maybe VCDS interpreteted that "Footwell light dimming Switch" wrong.

To be sure, I took out the Overhead Roof panel completely.

Wanted to move the cables a bit, and see if the Door Armrest Lighting might switch on for a sec.

Taking it out, I discovered some stuff I didn't expect...

-The lighting in the doors(Window up/down, lock/unlock, and the doorhandle itselve, aren't controlled with the same Dimmer Switch as the Footwell Lighting(Overhead Panel Dimswitch.)
-The strength of the lighting in de doors is controlled bij the dimswitch in the dashboard, the one that also controls the strength of the dashboardlighting!

So in my car, the footwell lighting is controlled by the Overhead Roof dim switch. And the Dashboard- and Door Lighting is controlled bij the dashboardswitch(Close to the "general car light switch")...

-Even with the complete overhead panel removed, the footwell lighting is working..

-I do see some electrical locations in the overhead panel, that look corroded and not real good. But when I follow that location, it ends at the "Set parkinghelp on/off button" on the other side of the panel, which is still working fine.

-I see some open wires that end up at the, seems like "Ventilation holes", next to the "drivers little light button". I will include some pictures.

Learned a lot, but I am not suspecting the VCDS error message: 02197 - Footwell Light Regulator (E398) 008 - Implausible Signal, has anything to do with the dimswitch in the overhead panel. And also not with the Ambient Amrest Lights, that are not working in my car.

Would the "Footwell Light Regulator (E398)" be located INSIDE the Comfort Module???

I am starting to suspect, this is the case.

hi @Tjap!
i see you are pretty familiar with VCDS and system won't allow me to post a visitor message on your profile so... have you managed to find where we can see the status of the engine timing chain? i mean is it still good or needs to be replaced soon. i know we can get the idea from the angle data but haven't managed to find where.. for a 4.5L engine on 955 chassis that is. cheers and have a nice 2021!

Old 01-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Hi Greymda,

I don't know anything about how to adjust timing chain belt, or even what its function is, I am not at all a car mechanic.. Learned a lot since I own this car, but real engine stuff, I will need to bring it to a professional.
Also, this topic is about electrical problems in parts of the comfort ambient lighting, not about engine timing chain problems.
You should open a topic about it, probably you'll have better luck finding the solution,

Greetings,
​​​​​Tjap

Old 01-07-2021, 04:42 PM
Now that the dealer fixed their screwup and replaced my comfort module, my door ambient lights are working again as they did prior to the dealer visit and I just confirmed, they brighten and dim like the footwell lights via the switch on the overhead console.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:28 PM
Komme is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Corvetteboy6988
Now that the dealer fixed their screwup and replaced my comfort module, my door ambient lights are working again as they did prior to the dealer visit and I just confirmed, they brighten and dim like the footwell lights via the switch on the overhead console.

Can you please give the module number they replaced since I am facing the same issue?

Old 07-10-2022, 08:22 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, i hope this still helps.
comfort module - control unit, # 955-618-029-04.
was $407.85 for the part at dealer, $465 labor to reprogram it.
luckily i didn't have to pay as the dealer created this issue.
its located in the passenger rear trunk side panel.