Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.
View Poll Results: Which car gets your vote for the better on-road performer?
2011 Porsche Cayenne S
77.42%
2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i
22.58%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Porsche Cayenne S vs. 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Kain is on a distinguished road
2011 Porsche Cayenne S vs. 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i

Which car gets your vote for the better on-road performer?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 PM
FAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the rough
Stock I'd say that the Cayenne S will be better. But I think that the X5 with its turbo'd V8 will respond very well to mods, and so it's highly possible that with an intake, exhaust, and chip you could see the X5 clearly a better performer.

I like the front end styling of the Cayenne a lot, the rear end is growing on me, But I kinda liked the "hips" on the old Cayennes. The new one appears much slimmer and more slender. I just liked the curvy nature before was all. The new interior sure does look nice though. I hope they come out with a new GTS model, 450hp out of the GTS seems appropriate this time around though.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
cayenne s. then again everyon on this forum is most probably going to say the Cayenne anyways. I can't wait for the car to come out for me to drive and order one.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
TheAMV8 is on a distinguished road
With the refresh, I would say the Cayenne S, but mostly because I've already been driving an X5 for the past 3 years. If I were coming at it fresh, it would be a much much harder decision. When I truly think about it, I would actually still likely go with the BMW. I do think that $ for $ you get more value with an X5 over a similarly configured Cayenne S

On the engine front, my guess is that the BMW 4.4TT is probably more capable than the Cayenne V8. I say probably, because to be fair I have not driven either of them, so it is purely speculation on my part.

I'm also not sure if Porsche has an answer to BMWs multi-contour seats which are, put simply, amazing. I have not sat in more comfortable seats, and I'm not sure if the Adaptive Sport Seats will be a match.

For me the X5 is starting to look dated and I don't think the mid-cycle refresh hasn't done anything to address this. On top of this the new cayenne interior just beats the pants off of BMWs. So the nod goes to Porsche on that front.

I'm actually a big fan of iDrive (1 of 5 people on the planet) - especially the newest version which is snappy, and for me much nicer than a touch screen. Twisting/pushing a **** feels much easier in motion than trying to poke at a screen. This is obviously a personal preference and other folks might think I'm stark raving bonkers.

I also like BMWs heads up display. Having your speed/nav instructions/control messages projected in line of sight is really nice, and something you quickly wonder how you lived without. I do feel the new TFT screen in the instrument cluster mostly makes up for it as it is in color and is much more multifunctional. I also like the way it is easily controlled from the steering wheel with a scroll wheel (this from test driving the Panamera)

As far as audio goes, if you get the Burmester it is no contest. I think the Bose vs the BMW premium sound is more or less a wash - at least to my admittedly crappy ears.

Having said the above about the 50 vs the S, if I had the choice between the X5 M and the Cayenne Turbo, then it is hands down the turbo over it or any X5.

The reason is that I feel Porsche have created in the Turbo a SUV that is going to be amazingly fun to drive in ideal conditions as much as it is going to be capable in inclement conditions. I feel the X5M is much more tuned towards fair weather driving at the expense of being... well an SUV.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I feel the X had a lot of great features the cayenne doesn't have ie, comfort seats and others but even in M mode around some pretty tight turns there is significant body roll vs cayenne with pdcc and air suspension. But for me the X might be a better fit for a family vehicle bc it's bigger by over 7 inches.
The 50i is definetly faster and from lower rpm to the new cayenne S. Cayenne s opted to
my specs runs me about 95k the x5M to
my specs is about the same maybe a few grand less.
The 50i is a great vehicle though just different and the needs for it are different than the cayenne.

I'm still trying to ultimately decide if I can splurge for the turbo cayenne or just get the s VS the x5 M or 50i.
Drove both the m and 50i for a day each so I
able to compare, just deciding what's important....

Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jace
I feel the X had a lot of great features the cayenne doesn't have ie, comfort seats and others but even in M mode around some pretty tight turns there is significant body roll vs cayenne with pdcc and air suspension. But for me the X might be a better fit for a family vehicle bc it's bigger by over 7 inches.
The 50i is definetly faster and from lower rpm to the new cayenne S. Cayenne s opted to
The 50i is a great vehicle though just different and the needs for it are different than the cayenne.

I'm still trying to ultimately decide if I can splurge for the turbo cayenne or just get the s VS the x5 M or 50i.
Any decisions?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 AM
FAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the roughFAUEE is a jewel in the rough

In terms of all out performance, you can't argue against the X5M. It's a monster, no two ways about it. It also can be upgraded to be even more of a monster. It seems to be the truck aimed soley at the guy who wants the fastest one he can buy. Quite frankly, I don't think its styling works as well, IMO the old 4.8is and 4.6is had the sport package looks down better. The front bumper is good, but the rear bumper just doesn't work for me, I think they tried too hard to make its rear bumper fit into the "M" look, and it just didn't translate well to the X5.

I prefer the Cayenne's interior and styling overall. The 50i isn't really a performance SUV. Honestly... I think the GTS has the best mix of everything. Nicest interior(love the leather/alcantara seats), NA V8 is responsive and fun(if not the fsatest - it sure is fast enough), styling is dead on (it doesnt hurt that it actually sounds good), and it feels and looks sporty (all the wood in the ML63 kills it for me - if it was aluminum or CF or anything else it wouldn't be as bad).

But that's just me, and I'm just a crazy guy who likes to bring his dog for spirited driving.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
Any decisions?

none yet. Havent seen in person the new Cayenne nor have I driven.

Loved the 50i and M of the X 2011, love the comfort seats and pure turbo acceleration from very low rpm. Love the rear seat room in the X as well.

Besides the above, I think I will like everything the Cayenne has to offer.

For now my GTS is getting me from day to day.

I hope to drive the Cayenne end of June when they get them in dealerships.

Maybe by then I will hate the Cayenne and go for the X, not sure at all.
Just know I LOVE my GTS performance on road, just wish it had more get up and go.... weak for my personal taste.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 PM
none yet. Havent seen in person the new Cayenne nor have I driven.

Loved the 50i and M of the X 2011, love the comfort seats and pure turbo acceleration from very low rpm. Love the rear seat room in the X as well.

Besides the above, I think I will like everything the Cayenne has to offer.

For now my GTS is getting me from day to day.

I hope to drive the Cayenne end of June when they get them in dealerships.

Maybe by then I will hate the Cayenne and go for the X, not sure at all.
Just know I LOVE my GTS performance on road, just wish it had more get up and go.... weak for my personal taste.
I know exactly where you are. TheX5 is a great SUV. I'm in a '07 4.8i and really like it. I was going to go to the 2011 before I saw the Cayenne

I have a 2011 Cayenne Turbo on order and while I'm sold on the interior, I'm not yet sold on the exterior. If I don't like it in person, then it's back to the X5 (I'm fairly confident the performance/handling of the Turbo won't be an issue!)

Old 06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
I know exactly where you are. TheX5 is a great SUV. I'm in a '07 4.8i and really like it. I was going to go to the 2011 before I saw the Cayenne

I have a 2011 Cayenne Turbo on order and while I'm sold on the interior, I'm not yet sold on the exterior. If I don't like it in person, then it's back to the X5 (I'm fairly confident the performance/handling of the Turbo won't be an issue!)
I am sold on both exterior and interior. I was really looking at getting a Panamera until I saw the new Cayenne. I can't wait to drive one. But, I will reserve which model choice. I may get the Cayenne S. I am also going to drive both BMW's, the X5M and the 50. I drove the x5 at the Performance center when getting my M6....crazy course! Thought I was going to roll over several times, but that X5 kept going and proving me wrong! My problem is x5's are everywhere, I want exclusivity, the Cayenne is fairly exclusive where I live. I don't need the 3rd row seat and I want performance handling since it will be my only car for a few years until the new 991 Turbo comes out.
decisions, decisions....now, don't ask me about my DD, the Lexus 250HS...it's probably going to be 'lemoned'! What a day...I'll explained later after another glass of wine

Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by JenK
I am sold on both exterior and interior. I was really looking at getting a Panamera until I saw the new Cayenne. I can't wait to drive one. But, I will reserve which model choice. I may get the Cayenne S. I am also going to drive both BMW's, the X5M and the 50. I drove the x5 at the Performance center when getting my M6....crazy course! Thought I was going to roll over several times, but that X5 kept going and proving me wrong! My problem is x5's are everywhere, I want exclusivity, the Cayenne is fairly exclusive where I live. I don't need the 3rd row seat and I want performance handling since it will be my only car for a few years until the new 991 Turbo comes out.
decisions, decisions....now, don't ask me about my DD, the Lexus 250HS...it's probably going to be 'lemoned'! What a day...I'll explained later after another glass of wine
I test drove the Panamera Turbo, and it was just wicked fast. Shockingly so for such a large vehicle. I felt it also drove a lot smaller than it is; however, when you look in the rear view mirror it sure is a looooong way to the rear window!

The X5M is definitely a beast, though it's hard to take it seriously as an SUV with 315s on the rear axle!!!

Lexus 250HS: Amazing acceleration and road feel. Precise steering and sure footed cornering. Most importantly it is probably **THE** most reliable car on the road today. I simply have no idea how you could possibly be having any issues with it... Ok just kidding

Curious if you seen the Cayenne in person?

P.S Get the turbo, if you don't you know you will wish you did

Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I have not seen the new Cayenne in person yet, but I love the looks from the pics and videos I've seen so far. The HS is a very good car in alot of aspects, but this particular one has some issues. I am getting it back today, so we'll see if they fixed the problem. I am impressed you know about the car! I do like it, but don't have time for the issues!
and thanks, you keep nudging me to the Turbo. I think driving one will seal the deal!

PS. The local BMW dealer here has a new 2010 X5M on sale for 82990 from 92k! That's a deal!

Last edited by JenK; 06-08-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I have not seen the new Cayenne in person yet, but I love the looks from the pics and videos I've seen so far. The HS is a very good car in alot of aspects, but this particular one has some issues. I am getting it back today, so we'll see if they fixed the problem. I am impressed you know about the car! I do like it, but don't have time for the issues!
and thanks, you keep nudging me to the Turbo. I think driving one will seal the deal!

PS. The local BMW dealer here has a new 2010 X5M on sale for 82990 from 92k! That's a deal!
HS is good DD - sounds like you got the rare lemon?

From the cars you like, it sounds like you would regret not getting the Turbo (I apologize in advance for being presumptive!). I personally am really good at talking myself into something I really don't want - in this case the Hybrid - then realizing I actually want something else

X5M sounds like a great deal. Do you know how it is optioned?

Old 06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
The X5 is optioned light, but the Silverstone metallic color is awesome...very blue-ish tint. My M6 was stratus gray with the silverstone interior and it was awesome, but a pain to keep clean.
The HS was returned this morning and taken back this afternoon. They claim that the 'whistling' sound is normal(of course). Anyway, it's back home now. All I can say is I am going to trade it and the 911 on the Turbo! I am going to wait and see if the ice blue metallic will be available on the turbo. I am sure it will be a 'premium' paint option, i.e., 3k. I am hoping for a two-tone black and blue interior. The website already list a tungsten blue? color option for the seat belts, so I am hopeful.
Ok, so now I said it again, I am getting the turbo!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 PM
The X5 is optioned light, but the Silverstone metallic color is awesome...very blue-ish tint. My M6 was stratus gray with the silverstone interior and it was awesome, but a pain to keep clean.
The HS was returned this morning and taken back this afternoon. They claim that the 'whistling' sound is normal(of course). Anyway, it's back home now. All I can say is I am going to trade it and the 911 on the Turbo! I am going to wait and see if the ice blue metallic will be available on the turbo. I am sure it will be a 'premium' paint option, i.e., 3k. I am hoping for a two-tone black and blue interior. The website already list a tungsten blue? color option for the seat belts, so I am hopeful.
Ok, so now I said it again, I am getting the turbo!
M6 is an awesome car. I had a 645 and was going to get into the one, but then went for the Vantage instead. I think the next gen 6 is going to be really nice.

Given the cars you like driving, I'd say the Turbo is probably the way for you to go - but test driving will tell you which one you want most... Okay, let's be honest if you test drive them you know you'll end up getting the Turbo!

I know that they're going to have a Black/Titanium blue interior available after 8/2010 - Not sure about custom exterior color. I went with a dark blue metallic exterior because I'm tired of black and silver

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Porsche Cayenne S vs. 2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i