Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne S custom order: Need your thoughts/suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
2011 Cayenne S custom order: Need your thoughts/suggestions

Cayenne S Tiptronic $63,700
Premium Package Plus PU3 $11,650
Exterior Color Umber Metallic R7 $790
Interior Color Two-tone Natural Leather in Espresso/Cognac VB $5,595
Exterior
Roof Rails / Drip Rails with matte Aluminum-look finish 3S1 $820
Trailer Coupling without Removable Ball Joint 1D6 $650
Panorama Roof System 3FU $660
Heated Windscreen for thermally and noise insulated glass 4GG $490
Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass with Privacy Glass VW5 $1,120
Porsche Entry & Drive 4F6 $1,090
Wheel Arch Extensions in Black with Side Door Protection Moldings 6GB $990
Performance
Off-road Underbody Protection PT1 $1,330
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) 1Y1 $1,490
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) 0AW $3,510
Extended Range Fuel Tank 0M1 $0
Air Suspension with Self-levelling and Height Adjustment with PASM 1BK $0

Wheels: 18" Cayenne S III Wheel C1Q $0

Interior

Fire Extinguisher 6 $140
Non-smoker Package 9JA $0
Seat Belts in Cognac FZ5 $650
Adaptive Cruise Control 8T3 $2,490
4-zone Climate Control 9A $1,020
18-way Adaptive Sports Seats with Memory Package PE6 $1,815
Heated Three-spoke Multifunction Leather Steering Wheel 2ZH $0

Audio and Communications

XM Satelite Radio QV4 $750
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System 9VJ $5,690

Destination Charge: $975

Total Price: $107,415

We all know how easy one can get bankrupt clicking all the options ( we have > 40 K in options). I do know that I am talking Turbo range price tag here but here is the gist of our order: I wanted all the goodies on the preformance package (PDCC, PTV) , wife wanted all the safety features (adaptive cruise control, lane change assist, rear-view camera etc). I wanted Burmester, she wanted XM, we both wanted the panorama roof and two-tone interior. I am a big fan of natural leather and there was only one two-tone color option for the natrual leather. So there goes our rationale for the splurge. Hey we only live once and our kids will only be with us for the next 5 years before they are headed to college. Hence the biologic clock for our family hauler has already started its countdown.

A few questions for my fellow 6-speeders (also posted it for my fellow RL'ers) :

1. How do you think the seatbelts in cognac and instrument gauges in Luxor Beige blend with the two tone interior.
2. We will not be off-roading. How useful would the underbody protection be or should I just bag it ?
3. I will be ordering a winter set up with 18 inch wheels mounted on snow
tires. Hence will be going with the summer performance tires. What wheel
option would you go for: the 19 or 20 inch ?
4. Any major hits/misses on the above order ?
5. Thoughts on running boards: Yes or no ?

Old 09-09-2010, 04:42 PM
BillC is on a distinguished road
I may not be the most objective voice sine we've built fairly similar non turbo vehicles; primary exceptions are the insulated glass, cruise control, under body, and sunroof. Same expresso/cognac although I did the dark blue. Time will tell if I'll regret not doing the turbo. At a $104k sticker, I may have over built a non turbo.

My take on your questions:

1. I did the cognac seat belts because I wondered if black would detract from the two tone look. I did verify it isn't hard to change back to black later if needed because the cognac gets too dirty. Not sure how luxor dials would work (have you seen it in person?) but you could change it later.

2. Absent off road use or gravel/poor roads where you are, I would not do under body protection- is there a particular reason you wanted it?

3. I like the 20" wheels because they handle better and I prefer their aesthetics. However, if you and your wife like the 19"s and a little better ride, no reason not to choose them.

4. Have heard insulated glass has some negatives re easy pass and radar detector use. I also passed because I didn't like the look with the rear windows blacked out. Many do like the tinted look and live in extreme sun soaked locales.

5. Haven't seen any 2011 Cayenne's with running boards. Not usually a fan so I would have to see it in person before ordering.

Sounds like you have a great car-when is your build date?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 PM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
How important is resale to you?

I have an '09 Turbo S that I ordered two years ago. I went back and forth between the Turbo and Turbo S and, in the end, ordered the Turbo S to get the interior I wanted and because so many options I wanted on the turbo were built into the base price of the Turbo S and I figured I would get more from resale in a couple of years when I was tired of it and ready to move on (like now).

Your build will be a fantastic SUV, but you will get killed on resale, if that matters to you.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
Everything sounds great but no to running boards. I would do one thing have dealer do the build in a Turbo see how much more you will spend. I think you will be around 123k should be able to get 4% off that build. That will put you around 117 k. I think the Turbo would be a better deal. We orig. Ordered Turbo wife couldn't wait. Her car she is ok with S but the Turbo may suit you better.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Going to see the dealer this weekend to talk all the details ie: Build date, trade in value for our minivan and hopefully atleast a 3 to 4 % discount for the custom order. Over the phone I was told that it would be a late Dec build but nothing finalized yet. I will keep you all posted.

Very nice comments guys. Copasetic, I am not worried about resale at all. Turbo will be too much power for my wife. She will be using it 90 % of the time and would rather have all the bells and whistles on her CS than go for a TT. I have a '09 GT silver 997.2 C4S with full leather (natural grey) interior (see my avatar) as my DD.

Bill, I did the cognac seat belts for the very same reason as you. I really think the luxor dials would blend well with a brown/earthy tone interior work (I doubt we can ever see one in person?).

Some changes have been made after reviewing all your comments, pros and cons:

1. Changed stock wheels to 19 inch turbo's with summer performance (will
be ordering a 18 inch aftermarket winter set up).
2. Cancelled the underbody protection (I will not be doing any off roading) and
running boards (not liking the looks of it...thank u Bill and GJ for your thoughts on
this item).
3. Doubt we will ever listen to XM radio..so that's gone (is that a bad idea to
do that ? ) I am not too worried about resale value.
4. Added rear seat airbags.
5. Got rid of the heated windscreen for thermally and noise insulated glass
and the thermally and noise insulated glass. The tint would be too heavy
for my liking andwife is concerned about night time visibility that is the
reason for our decision.
6. Added PCM voice control. Looks like a nice low cost feature.
7. Also thinking of getting rid of the Porsche entry and drive just to cut the cost down a bit (GJ I know your wife's CS has it)...tell me if I am making a big mistake.

Now the Burmester..is the big line item. But I really want it not sure if it is worth the premium. And the panorama roof..hopefully no rattles in the future. GJ any issues with your targa glass top. How do you like the way it lightens up the interior ?

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-09-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:55 PM
wallmon is on a distinguished road
3. XM? I'd get it if you ever drive out of town at all.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:14 PM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thats my ideal interior...expresso/cogniac with beige dials...the sports aluminum trim looks great...the matt light wood will make your interior look even better like high end italian furniture...unfortunately, this interior was not available before september build and i just couldnt wait...so congrats to you..you will enjoy it for years to come

Old 09-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Gj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura aboutGj325 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Going to see the dealer this weekend to talk all the details ie: Build date, trade in value for our minivan and hopefully atleast a 3 to 4 % discount for the custom order. Over the phone I was told that it would be a late Dec build but nothing finalized yet. I will keep you all posted.

Very nice comments guys. Copasetic, I am not worried about resale at all. Turbo will be too much power for my wife. She will be using it 90 % of the time and would rather have all the bells and whistles on her CS than go for a TT. I have a '09 GT silver 997.2 C4S with full leather (natural grey) interior (see my avatar) as my DD.

Bill, I did the cognac seat belts for the very same reason as you. I really think the luxor dials would blend well with a brown/earthy tone interior work (I doubt we can ever see one in person?).

Some changes have been made after reviewing all your comments, pros and cons:

1. Changed stock wheels to 19 inch turbo's with summer performance (will
be ordering a 18 inch aftermarket winter set up).
2. Cancelled the underbody protection (I will not be doing any off roading) and
running boards (not liking the looks of it...thank u Bill and GJ for your thoughts on
this item).
3. Doubt we will ever listen to XM radio..so that's gone (is that a bad idea to
do that ? ) I am not too worried about resale value.
4. Added rear seat airbags.
5. Got rid of the heated windscreen for thermally and noise insulated glass
and the thermally and noise insulated glass. The tint would be too heavy
for my liking andwife is concerned about night time visibility that is the
reason for our decision.
6. Added PCM voice control. Looks like a nice low cost feature.
7. Also thinking of getting rid of the Porsche entry and drive just to cut the cost down a bit (GJ I know your wife's CS has it)...tell me if I am making a big mistake.

Now the Burmester..is the big line item. But I really want it not sure if it is worth the premium. And the panorama roof..hopefully no rattles in the future. GJ any issues with your targa glass top. How do you like the way it lightens up the interior ?

Keep the Xm if your out of town much I rarely listen to anything but XM but thats me.

My wife agreed the Turbo has too much power but she is going to PDS next year as says next one will be a Turbo.

I love the Porsche entry mainly for my wife she can be alone get in car not have to find keys in order to crank car and go. She was car-jacked couple years back this is a wonderful improvement. over looking for keys in mall parking lot.

One bad part on Porsche Entry We went to store the other day and she was out of gas so I drove on down to gas station. I turned car off at gas station. Went to go back to pick her up oh no I dont have a Key on my person. She had to walk over to start car. wasn't far but if you are driving wife has key you get in car drive off before car is turned off and Dont have a key it will let you keep going it does give you a message but that stranded feeling is not good

I love the Targa Top if it was available in Turbo S I would have ordered it. I ordered a Cab. But no problem with Targa at all I may miss this at times when its really hot and cant put top down on Cab.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Gj I agree. Especially with the high end Burmester set up not having XM radio is a bad mistake. Thank you all once again. Anybody seen Auburn metallic in person ? Looks like the espresso/cognac interior may go very well with Auburn exterior (may be even more so than the Umber metallic). The Porsche entry/drive may have to let go that one to keep costs down a bit especially since I will be choosing a 20 inch wheel option for stock and those are more expensive. ( I will be ordering an 18 inch wheel and tire set up at tirerack). The reason to go for 20 inch would be the fact that there are not many tire options for 19 inch wheels.

3LX470: My wife is not a big fan of wood interior especially high gloss wood. My 997.2 C4S has aluminium package for it's interior and I love it. But I am thinking it won't gel well with the espresso/cognac trim. What do you all feel ? Leave it stock ...what is stock for the interior trim ? That was one of the questions I had for the dealer tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Bill P. is on a distinguished road
Regarding the 20" vs. 19" tire availability, I'm not sure it matters. I checked Tire Rack and there were plenty of premium 19" tires available for the C. There are probably only around 5 tires I'd have mounted on my 993TT (all sticky high performance) and I imagine that the same is true for the C (in my case). OTOH, if you never do any spirited driving then your choices are much broader and then the choice limitations on the 19s may be a factor.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Visited the dealer yesterday for the test drive. Only had one Cayenne S (Umber metallic without PDCC/PTV) available for test drive and several customers waiting in line for the test drive (apparently the have sold every single one that arrives at the door). In any case test drive went great, loved the 20" RS spyder wheels and Umber is a very nice exterior color. Then just sat in a Panamera with a Burmester and my high quality audio CD...OMG what a system. Today I went back with my full custom order spec sheet (came close to 110K). Got a very bad offer for my immaculately well kept '04 Sienna minivan (3K less than KBB) and a 2.5% discount for the custom order that too because I was a return customer. Came home disappointed. One thing is for sure though. I will get the Cayenne S custom ordered for my wife. She is worth it to say the least. I wanted atleast KBB trade value for a pristine very low mileage example and 3 % off the custom order. Is that too much to ask ? They would not budge today. I do not blame them given the demand. Maybe tomorrow is a different day. We shall see.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-13-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
That's really bad. There are others on here that got way more that 3% off their custom orders. I would try another dealer! I have heard Porsche of Orlando gives a great discount and I would try some CA dealers as well. I would just e-mail their internet sales departments and find out who is dealing! You can order the Cayenne anywhere in the US and shipping is a drop in the bucket compared to only taking 2.5% off. And, I would sell that Sienna privately. I am still working on my deal, but I am going to wait a little longer since there will be alot of inventory due to the economy. Good luck!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Visited the dealer yesterday for the test drive. Only had one Cayenne S (Umber metallic without PDCC/PTV) available for test drive and several customers waiting in line for the test drive (apparently the have sold every single one that arrives at the door). In any case test drive went great, loved the 20" RS spyder wheels and Umber is a very nice exterior color. Then just sat in a Panamera with a Burmester and my high quality audio CD...OMG what a system. Today I went back with my full custom order spec sheet (came close to 110K). Got a very bad offer for my immaculately well kept '04 Sienna minivan (3K less than KBB) and a 2.5% discount for the custom order that too because I was a return customer. Came home disappointed. One thing is for sure though. I will get the Cayenne S custom ordered for my wife. She is worth it to say the least. I wanted atleast KBB trade value for a pristine very low mileage example and 3 % off the custom order. Is that too much to ask ? They would not budge today. I do not blame them given the demand. Maybe tomorrow is a different day. We shall see.

I've got a '06 997 and am shopping for an '011 Cayenne for my wife. I'm in the Boston area. I've contacted several dealers, one who offered about 3% off to start and another who immediately offered 5% off, and that was via an email conversation. That was for in stock vehicles. I may go down the custom order route and I'm unaware of the discounts offered in that scenario. The dealer offering 5% off suggested they would do better when I show up in person. If you look at the retail vs. invoice prices, there's a ton of margin in the Cayenne and that doesn't include holdbacks and other dealer rebates. The Cayenne is a great vehicle, but as inventories start to build, I think the discounts will grow. Patience!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
I've got a '06 997 and am shopping for an '011 Cayenne for my wife. I'm in the Boston area. I've contacted several dealers, one who offered about 3% off to start and another who immediately offered 5% off, and that was via an email conversation. That was for in stock vehicles. I may go down the custom order route and I'm unaware of the discounts offered in that scenario. The dealer offering 5% off suggested they would do better when I show up in person. If you look at the retail vs. invoice prices, there's a ton of margin in the Cayenne and that doesn't include holdbacks and other dealer rebates. The Cayenne is a great vehicle, but as inventories start to build, I think the discounts will grow. Patience!
I totally agree that the discounts will grow, I've been monitoring the inventory and not much has moved. I also thought another scenario for the minivan, take it to carmax and sell it! That is where my high priced Toyota is going!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I think patience is key...but it is kinda hard. I waited for my 997.2 to pull the trigger and then after I started driving it I felt man why did I wait so long to get into one and kept thinking about all the days that I lost in my life driving the boring MB E-350 (no offense/great car just not my cup of tea).

I just cannot trade in my pristine condition minivan for 11K when I see minivans of the same year/model with 30K miles more being listed on autotrader by private parties for 16 to 18 K. The vehicle is in showroom condition. I have placed an ad in the sale section and will soon use Autotrader.

A couple of thoughts on the new Cayennes. The looks and ride on the 20 inch Spyder wheels is great. My wife is 5'2 and she has a hard time getting out of the drivers seat without a deep massage of the outer bolster. If you look at there brochures unlike previous year (atleast on the 911s) this year both the 14 way and the 18 way seats have prominent side bolsters bulging out. In fact there was already evidence of wear on the outer bolster on the driver and passenger side (guessing spouse accompanies the test driver)on a 150 mile test drive Cayenne. As much as I hate the idea, I may be ordering mine with a running board as my CS will be a keeper and I cannot bear to see seats that show it's age. But that's just me. The interior is very quiet, so the value of noise insulated glass is debatable (unless you want one for the deep tint which I am not a big fan of). The stock interior has a aluminium and piano black trim for the dash/doors etc. The sales consultant had no clue when I asked him what happens to the small existing strip of aluminium when I go with a brushed aluminium package. We share so much info here. Trust me we are a much more informed group then some of the cnsultants out there. When I spec'd a 110K Cayenne and got 2% off, the consultant tells me this. "Oh! your wife will never see the PDCC/PTV benefit, you may not see the Burmester effect, so right there you can get some additional discount on the final price". Ya right. The main reason I am sold on the 2011 Cayenne (rather than save a bunch by getting the first gen) is the above three options. No I may be wrong in my thought process but.....

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-14-2010 at 06:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S custom order: Need your thoughts/suggestions