Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Introducing myself, and a quick question on better winter tires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 AM
adiliyoo is on a distinguished road
Introducing myself, and a quick question on better winter tires.

Hi everyone. I am a new member here and would like to introduce myself. I live in Boston, MA and own a 2011 Cayenne S. Bought the car at Chambers on Comm ave (just in case there are other people from the area). I will post pictures of the car soon in the other thread.

Also, as we are getting ready for the winter, I was looking for a good advice on snow tires. I have 18s stock, and from what I read on here - majority of people like Pirelli Ice and Snow - is that right? Are there any other tires you would recommend? And what is the best place to buy them in terms of pricing?

We had the stock tires last winter and I wasn't very satisfied with them, so I thought it would be best to invest in a winter set.

Thanks very much and I appreciate your replies.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:24 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
I used Michelin Latitude Alpin on a previous SUV and it worked great.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 AM
RoninW is on a distinguished road
the stock tires, if they are 'all seasons,' are able to handle temps below 45 degrees and sometimes light mud/snow... typically they suck in the snow. Get a winter package and definetly go with the michelins.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
thanks for the michelin, frank. I will look into those.

Ronin, yeah - the stock look like all seasons, but they really do suck. Even when it rains heavily and there is a lot of water - I have to drive more carefully because the car sometimes almost floats.
are you talking about michelin alpin too? I need to look at them later tonight.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 PM
roseden is on a distinguished road
This talk about how crappy the Cayenne is in the snow is very disappointing! I've been driving Landcruisers with (mostly) Michelin M+S tires for about 10 years. Driveway is very steep and where other cars and trucks struggle when it's snowy, the Cruiser with those tires, usually just powers up the hill. It will totally suck if Cayenne is as reliable as the Prius to get up the hill. I have a 2012 at the dealer, waiting for paperwork to be completed, but am thinking I might budget in four snow tires and rims. Is this really necessary?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I run 20" wheels on my Cayenne for summer tires, and I drop down to 18" wheels for my winter tires. I like the extra rubber on the 18" wheel during the winter.

I am currently running Michelin Latitude Alpin N1 tires on the Cayenne and they're great. I've been very pleased with this tire. I find the Cayenne to be very capable in the winter in slippery conditions. I've never had any problems. My driveway is also steep and we get tons of snow where I live (got about 8 inches today!). I've never had any issue with it at all.

The need for snows is one that many people debate. A dedicated winter tire (with the snowflake on the mountain symbol) will perform better than an all-season M+S tire when the weather gets into freezing temperatures. This is true in dry, wet and snow/ice conditions. In most cases, I'd take a 2WD car with winter tires over an AWD car with all-season tires in the winter. The exception to this would be deep snow.

The Boston area is relatively flat, so you'll probably be okay with all-seasons. However, if you really want to make this a great winter vehicle, I'd put winter tires on it.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I have a land cruiser, lx 470, gx 470, escalade, RR and cayenne.
Of them all with proper seasoned tires I prefer my cayenne and the RR over them all!
If I had to pick one I'd pick the cayenne; it outperforms them all.
Just don't try and run summer tires in ice and snow; that's just not an intelligent decision.
I had 18's on my GTS the perelli scorpion ice and snow and it was amazing in blizzard snow conditions.
Haven't yet bought 20's for my new CTT.

Last edited by Jace; 12-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:32 PM
roseden is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jace and Dennis C. I pick up my car tomorrow. Pretty excited. My Cayenne came with Continental stock tires and dealer is suggesting I wait till the first snow to see how it does, which I will. Knowing I will be using this truck to commute to ski house, I am fairly convinced I will be needing snows but I'll see. Michelins Alpins vs Pirelli Snow and Ice, I'm thinking either will be fine. Are there other reasons, besides convenience, for buying separate rims? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Which Contis are on your new Cayenne? All-seasons or summer only? If they are summer tires, I wouldn't wait to see how it does in the snow!

For me, there are several reasons to get seperate wheels for your winter tires. First of all, it is convenient. Secondly, I don't like the possibility of damaging my tires by taking them on and off the wheel each season. Finally, I like to drop down to a smaller wheel in the winter because of the possibility of wheel damage from potholes and other road hazards.

On my son's Subaru, I change the tires and use the same wheels. On the Porsches, I use dedicated winter wheels.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM
thanks for your replies everyone. Does anyone know if Pirelli Scorpion and Pirelli Scorpion N1 are different? I understand that "N1" means that it is specifically made for VW/Porsche? But is there any difference?