Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Advice on a low option 6-speed V6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM
fookie is on a distinguished road
Advice on a low option 6-speed V6

I'm considering ordering a 6-speed manual V6 and am trying to keep the price around $50-55k, so I'm trying not add many options. This will be our family hauler as I'm the stay-at-home parent. Here's my build so far:

- Exterior Color Black A1 (Honestly, this would be my top choice for color and it doesn't hurt that it's a no cost option)
- Interior in Black MA (Dark interiors seem to fair better with kids in terms of wear and tear + dirt)
- Deletion of Model Designation 0NA
- Trailer Coupling without Removable Ball Joint 1D6 (I've debated between the hitch and a roof rack for extra capacity)
- Porsche Entry & Drive 4F6 (We have this on another car and love it, even though it seems a little pricey at $1090 - How is Porsche's implementation?)
- Servotronic 1N3 (I don't really know what this is, but another person urged me to add it)
- 18" Cayenne S III Wheel C1Q (for $390, I think it looks much better than the standard wheel)
- 8-way power seats Q1G (The only thing I think I'd miss is the Lumbar support, but for $1750 I'm reluctant to upgrade)

Any must have options? Suggestions? Would you consider any other vehicles such as the Q5, Touareg, Grand Cherokee or X3 in the same price range? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fookie; 01-18-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Actually, you know the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is very nice. I drove one for 2 weeks. Size is similar to the Cayenne and much more improved that the last version. Plus, it has your keyless entry as an option and it will save you 15k+ from the Cayenne.

One last thing, why would you want a 6-speed manual in a family hauler? It's kinda a pain changing gears while paying attention to kids.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
-While dark interior will fair better, black exterior is a pain to maintain.
-Not sure how useful it is, but I'd think reverse camera would go well with Trailer coupling option?
-Dont have the keyless option, can't comment
-Servotronic is speed sensitive steering, a must for Cayenne IMO. I heard you can always disable it afterwards if you don't like it. Not expensive so it's good to order.

One thing wife wanted was the navigation. It's nice to have it integrated into the instrument cluster display.

And I agree with Frank, tiptronik would be a good option, unless if your wife insists on driving a stick.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
The Cayenne will be the nicest out of all you listed there but then again you could probably get one of the others loaded for the price of a stripped Cayenne. As for options, I really don't think you need the servotronic - it's speed sensitive power steering. It gets light at parking lot speeds and firms up at highway speeds. Realistically though I doubt the steering would be an issue without it but try both just to be sure. Never tried entry & drive by my last BMW had it and I LOVED it so I certainly agree with you there. And as for manual, I really like that idea as well if you're trying to save a few beans. It'll make it allot more fun to drive as well.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by steph280
-
And I agree with Frank, tiptronik would be a good option, unless if your wife insists on driving a stick.

I only know of 1 or 2 women that can drive a stick :-) Except Danica Patrick, but I guess I don't know her.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys! Just to clarify, it's for me but my wife will drive it occasionally. I'm a stay-at-home dad and average less than 5,000 miles a year. I keep my cars for at least 10 years, so I'd love to get it right.

Our current family vehicle is a 2001.5 VW Passat 1.8T (owned since new) and with my 2nd child coming in Feb, I think I'll need some extra space. I detail as a hobby, so black isn't an issue. It will be garaged 95% of the time and I have the option to not take the car if it's raining. Additionally, our VW is black, so I know about the upkeep:

I like the idea of a 6 speed manual in a wagon or SUV and am happy Porsche decided to offer it in the V6. Since my job doesn't involve commuting, I'm okay with the "inconvenience" of a manual. I'm not planning to drive too aggressive with this car given its purpose, but I like the idea of well designed and put together car (both visually and while driving). The Jeep is an excellent recommendation, but I just need to decide whether I'm willing to sacrifice some of the European styling and ride in exchange for more options or a lower price. The real contender is the Q5 for me. I know it's different in size, but it seems to appeal to me as well as the Cayenne does.

Finally, I'm not unfamiliar with Porsche and have always had a preference for the brand. Here I am on the track:

Thanks again, guys! I appreciate the input.

Last edited by fookie; 01-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
DanK is on a distinguished road
I've got a 6 speed base cayenne and love it. takes a bit for the transmission to breakin and loosen up but once it does its real fun. and saves you a good chunk of change vs the tiptronic.

the black interior looks great and definitely hides the dirt way better than the light tan interior.

tow package is great for a bike rack.

you might look at the convenience package - puts you at the top of your budget but gives you some nice goodies.

I've never had a keyless entry car so can't comment...

Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
V10M is on a distinguished road
Black exterior is a pain - my 2nd black car. White is no cost too, if you like.
LCA is great for the wife. There is a blind spot since the outer rear headrests does block vision a bit. I adjust my mirrors very outward, but she doesn't like it that way, so LCA is almost a must for her. And for under 1k (?), it's great.
Keyless is a must for me, but the implementation is inferior to BMW's. Still very convenient. And with an option to tow, rear camera (even w/ porsche's poor quality) is what it was really designed for.

I'm a BMW guy at heart, but really disappointed by the new X3. Interior is a throw back to previous gens, IMO. Gaps in the trim, ill-designed ergonomics and rubbery-feel materials abound inside.

Last edited by V10M; 01-18-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
One last thing to consider is resale. I guess you mentioned 10 years, but will the Cayenne last that long :-). Anyways, i'm guessing 95% of the buyers for a Cayenne would want the Tiptronic auto, so selling later for you might take longer. Most people who would even consider a manual would be looking more at a sports car.

Although, I heard somewhere that the manual transmission is becoming obsolete with more advance Automatic Transmissions, and Dual Clutch transmissions. IN fact, correct me someone if I'm wrong here, I think the 911 turbo and turbo s only come in the PDK

Last edited by frank69m; 01-18-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 PM
dochusar is on a distinguished road
I had a blue Cayenne V6 which I traded in for a Meteor Gray Cayenne V6 with black interior. I wish that my knees were better to tolerate a manual. I agree that the rearview camera is really a must and the 958 camera is better and as good as the Lexus, Mercedes and Audi backup camera. The navigation is nice to have, but not a major need. Since there are blind spots in the Cayenne, lane change assist is really nice to have. My Cayenne is now Meteor Grey and this color really hides the dirt well . I have had this color in my 911 and really like it. My Panamera is carerra white and is a classic. Classic Black is nice, but Basalic Black just is spectacular. Depending on where you reside either heated and ventilated seats are very nice to have and really work unlike the Mercedes ones. Since yours will be a daily drive, any combination that pleases you should be what you order.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys! I added LCA, Convenience Pack, and Rearview Camera to the build and the total comes to $58,875. I originally just wanted to add LCA and rearview camera, but the latter option requires PCM. For only a little more, the Convenience Pack added the required PCM and some extras that are useful (bi-xenons, heated seats, moonroof, etc). I'll chat with my SA today and see what she can do. The V6's are in such demand that not much can be negotiated.

I wanted to limit my options on this car since it's a utility vehicle for the kids, but I'm happy with the option choices here. How long is the leadtime on an ordered unit?

Last edited by fookie; 01-19-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by fookie
Thanks for the advice, guys! I added LCA, Convenience Pack, and Rearview Camera to the build and the total comes to $58,875. I originally just wanted to add LCA and rearview camera, but the latter option requires PCM. For only a little more, the Convenience Pack added the required PCM and some extras that are useful (bi-xenons, heated seats, moonroof, etc). I'll chat with my SA today and see what she can do. The V6's are in such demand that not much can be negotiated.

I wanted to limit my options on this car since it's a utility vehicle for the kids, but I'm happy with the option choices here. How long is the leadtime on an ordered unit?
Depends if dealers need to fill orders right away...can be a month or 4 months. Again, depends on dealer.