Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

recirculate button keeps defaulting to outside air

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 AM
V10M is on a distinguished road
recirculate button keeps defaulting to outside air

Taking a little trip, I noticed that when I hit the button to recirculate cabin air, the light keeps going off to bring in outside air every 3 minutes. Normal?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Angry

Ok, back from trip and this is very annoying. I have messed around with the Auto Recirculate feature in vehicle settings to no avail. I believe that setting is to give the car the OK to trun ON recirculate if it deems the outside air is dirty.

This is annoying because when the recirculate button is illuminated (meaning it is recirculating), the fan speed at "1" is comfortable without blowing too hard at all. But every 3-5 minutes, it defaults itself back to outside air (dash button is OFF once again). That makes fan setting "1" even too strong as air is just rushing in to the cabin.

In addition, the AUTO RECIRCULATE setting is bunk. I was following a semi that has been going downhill and his brakes were visibly smoking up, causing a burnt smell to enter the cabin of the CS. Needless to say, the AUTO RECIRCULATE setting never activated.

Why must Porsche FORCE people to get outside air and override MY decision to keep it within the cabin? And this is not even with me turning off and turning on the car. It just happens as I am driving, so I am forced to hit the button every 3-5 minutes as I am driving. Especially if it cant detect bad outside air.

If there is a option that I am missing, perhaps this is my FAIL. But if this is classic German over-engineering, then they FAIL!

*And I thought BMW over-engineered their "cool head, warm feet" moronic feature!

Last edited by V10M; 01-30-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
I get the same thing. I noticed it turn off by itself. Haven't bothered looking it up or look into it further.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM
hkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura about
Even a VW could do it better.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by No.92
I get the same thing. I noticed it turn off by itself. Haven't bothered looking it up or look into it further.
Yeah, around town, I don't even notice it. But just coming from a 300 mile 1-way trip to Vegas, it was really annoying. I am driving with the air exactly as much as I'd like and then..... bam, I get hit with a rushing wave of air. Level 1 Fan setting with the light ON is equilent to probably level 4 when it is OFF. So it is really bothersome to just have air pushed into your face every 5 minutes against your will. Either that, or just turn it all off and just drive in a stuffy cabin.

@HK, I'm sure VW does do it better. Because doing nothing (meaning let the driver select it) is better than engineering ridiculousness.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
j080808 is on a distinguished road
Many modern vehicles are designed this way to prevent moisture/condensation build-up in the cabin, an explanation should be in the manual. My GM truck does it, my wifes MB does it...

Have you tried turning the air hood on/off or set the volume level to soft or medium or just changed the output to a combo of dash and floor instead of auto?

By default when cold air blows it comes from the dash, when heat blows it comes from the floor.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by j080808
Many modern vehicles are designed this way to prevent moisture/condensation build-up in the cabin, an explanation should be in the manual. My GM truck does it, my wifes MB does it...

Have you tried turning the air hood on/off or set the volume level to soft or medium or just changed the output to a combo of dash and floor instead of auto?

By default when cold air blows it comes from the dash, when heat blows it comes from the floor.
I know that the Merc we used to have and my Bimmer does reset to outside air every time the car is restarted (defaults to Auto Recirc or Outside), but I have never experienced it during driving within 5 minutes of me actually telling it not to.

BMW goes as far as defaulting to FAN/AC ON every time I get into the car to keep mildew out, so it's an extra step everytime I start it to turn it off. Now the Porsche doesn't make me do that, but it does default my radio to Volume ON / UNMUTE.... so I am subbing out one step in the Bimmer to another step in the Porsche every start-up... but I digress. That is in my other thread / rant.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Fahad M Alahmed is an unknown quantity at this point
Recirculation mode

I used to own 2013 porsche cayenne S, I’m sure the recirculating was on all the time it never switched off even when I turned the car off.

Now I use 2012 cayenne S and suffering by this issue I have to press the button everytims and not sure what the problem is !

I have the rear right side air sometimes gets hot air I wonder if that the issue or 2013 developed with this feature, I have been looking for someone who gets that fixed or give a useful information about this issue.

I live in Saudi Arabia where the dust and high temperature is, so it’s very important to keep my recirculation on all the time.

Please help.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:33 PM
malignancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry/not sorry to revive this thread after four years but I’m having a similar but different issue.

With the AC on, I click the recirculate button and nothing seems to happen. This is in a 2008 997 Turbo. In my 2007 997 Turbo, the volume of air would increase substantially after pressing the recirculate button.

Any ideas? The car only has 15,000 miles.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:28 PM
kephare is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Originally Posted by malignancy
Sorry/not sorry to revive this thread after four years but I’m having a similar but different issue.

With the AC on, I click the recirculate button and nothing seems to happen. This is in a 2008 997 Turbo. In my 2007 997 Turbo, the volume of air would increase substantially after pressing the recirculate button.

Any ideas? The car only has 15,000 miles.
GRRRRRR! My 2015 CD annoyingly turns off the recirculating ac after a few mins. AGGRAVATING!! Cannot stand breathing vehicle fumes, especially truck diesel exhaust. I have not found a way to default this “recirculate” on.

if anyone has a suggestion it would be much appreciated!! PLEASE lol