Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Brake Shudder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 AM
vitaman will become famous soon enough
Brake Shudder

With 700 miles on the Odometer of my CTT with Ceramics, I'm experiencing intermittent brake shudder (through the steering wheel) with any pressure above a light touch.
Salesman said that there is another CTT with the same issue that they are having to replace the rotors. Taking it in today so they can have a look.
Anyone else experience this?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
nope, never an issue with mine. smooth at any speed and pressure.
please let me know what you find out and good luck.
thanks

Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Dealer said it's the 2nd one they've seen in a month.
First poor bloke they put through the wringer (well his Cayenne at least).
After 2 weeks of testing they determined that the Ceramic Rotors were true when perfectly cold but malfunctioned when heated even slightly. They had to get permission from Porsche to order new rotors and are going to install them this week. Mine they needed 30 minutes to determine it was the same issue.
The parts will take a few weeks to arrive from Germany. Hopefully they will learn on this weeks install and have a simple time with mine.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
brake shudder

rotors don't warp and then un-warp. I suspect pad transfer onto the rotor surface.

Do a search for "brake pad transfer"

Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
My explanation was a loose translation of what they told me.
It was obvious they thought they had to say something, but were not clear on the cause.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
subscribed

Old 05-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
So what's the scoop?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 AM
The other CTT was scheduled to have the the new parts put on this week. If the problem goes away, then mine should too when the parts for my car arrive (hopefully soon!)
The shudder is not huge and doesn't seem to affect the stopping power or enjoyment of the car....it's just not right.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:46 PM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Keep us posted....

Cheers,

Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm disappointed with my Dealer, Hennessy Porsche in the metro Atlanta area.
I brought the almost new car in 2 weeks ago to have a shuddering sensation removed from the brakes. They examined the car for an hour and told me they would need to order parts (new Rotors) and it would take about 2 weeks.
They have been very slow to respond to my calls and emails asking about the status of the parts. Today I found out that they want to check the car out again for another 45 minutes before they authorize a part order!
It seems another owner with the same issue had his front rotors replaced and it only lessened the shudder rather than eliminating it.
The Dealer is 40 minutes away and in the opposite direction of work so this is becoming inconvenient on top of annoying.
I'm wondering whether I should contact Porsche USA and complain about the car and slow reaction to rectify this problem..... or just let it play out and see if the Dealer can solve it.
Any ideas?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Mine seems to be gone and braking good ...

Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Back at the Dealer today.
According to the Svc Dept, Porsche Corporate is making them jump through hoops to authorize the parts.
According to the Senior Tech who helped me with a minor programming issue, it was the worst brake shudder he has seen on a new car.
Will know what their intended remedies are in 2 days.
In a magnanimous gesture the Service Advisor offered to have a driver deliver a car to me when they picked up mine to do the repairs. I was dumbfounded. When I found my voice I explained that I had a Lexus Dealer do that for routine oil changes in the late 90's and the BMW Dealer I use has been doing it consistently for at least 10 years.
I guess if they bring me Panamera Turbo S to drive for a few days I may have to change my tune.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM
emag is on a distinguished road
Really sorry to hear that, gonna take delivery in 3 weeks time. Order mine with PCCB as well.

Keep us posted..

Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Got word yesterday that the Engineering department in Germany authorized new rotors. The service department was not clear whether they would be front only or front and rear. They are expecting arrival middle of next week.
I scoured 6 Speed Online and Rennlist for all posts going back 6 years on Ceramics before ordering them. I was mostly interested in noise and dust. Never read a thing about brake shudder.
I can only assume there was a manufacturing glitch in a batch. Hopefully what they send as replacement will be rigorously tested before shipment.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Problems as you are experiencing are not the norm.
I now have over 27,000 miles and flawless so far, in performance, noise, dust, etc.
I do get the occasional squeak which is annoying but normal.
So far I would order again without question.

Please keep updating.

Last edited by Jace; 05-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.