Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:18 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
2013 S. TC replaced under CPO warranty at 48k. 55k now with no problems

Old 01-25-2020, 03:38 AM
CayennedieselV8S is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi folks,

New to the forum and just purchased, as per my screen name, a 2015 Cayenne 4.2 V8 Diesel S (on 38k miles)
Just looking for some definitive guidance on the TC issue, as to what models are affected, as i have read conflicting opinions on other forums.

I read online that the TC issue is only a gasoline version issue and not present in the diesel versions, but i have also read that it is common amongst most models in the 958 range?
Most of the issues i've read about so far seem to be on earlier models, does anyone know if Porsche changed the breather design or changed the inspection / service schedule on the fluids on later models?

We will take delivery of the car on Jan 31st, so still have some time to get the dealer to at least check / replace the fluid as i'm sure they done want a warranty claim either!
There were no obvious noises during the test drive, but knowing my luck it will happen a week after i take delivery!

Many Thanks
Neil

Originally Posted by deilenberger
A strong recommendation to anyone with a Cayenne:

Make a transfer-case (TC) oil change a regular maintenance item. I'd suggest every 30,000 miles, and checking the oil every oil change when the car is up on the lift.

Doing a TC oil change on a lift will add about 10 minutes to the time spent changing the engine oil. Perhaps less. The TC drain and fill plugs are RIGHT THERE IN YOUR FACE - you actually could touch both of them with your nose if you were so inclined. Nothing in the way, lots of access, nothing has to be removed. I'll add a photo taken from underneath when I have a chance.. but there is no reason to not change the oil.

So far - over on RennTech - we have 4 people who were experiencing TC symptoms - told by Porsche they needed new TC's - who have changed their oil and no longer are experiencing ANY symptoms. We have one person who changed their TC oil and his symptoms were reduced but not eliminated - but - he didn't use a recommended oil, or even an oil that the oil manufacturer suggested for the use. He is going to change it again using one of the recommended oils.

My own experience: My '11 Twin-Turbo didn't exhibit the symptoms other people had. The common symptom is a roughness in accelerating and some popping/clicking noises from under the car. Mine had a tiny bit of unevenness on acceleration - but not so much that I thought it abnormal. I have 72,300 miles on the CTT.

I changed the oil today - putting in the new part# Porsche oil. It was available from SunsetPorscheParts.com - they had the best price (around $45 + shipping.) Local dealer wanted $75 for it.

I did it on a lift since I have a friendly independent who was interested. It took longer to set the lift up to lift the Cayenne then it did to change the oil.

What drained out was black. It had a slight burned odor to it, but not really strong. It didn't smell like gear oil, or the oil that was going in. It seemed rather thin. There was no sign of water contamination. I've saved a sample to send to Blackstone to analyze.

As to what causes the oil breakdown - I suspect several items: One is heat. There is a small deflector right under the TC that is there to direct air up over the case and cool it. There has to be a reason for that deflector. I wonder if failures happen more often in warmer climates? The other may simply be use. The design is such that the clutch is ALWAYS partly engaged - and always slipping. That's how power is transferred from the rear to the front or rear to front. If someone drives in situations where they do a lot of turning - that will cause more slippage of the clutch as the ratio of front/rear torque changes. If someone has partly worn tires on one axle - that will cause continual slippage as the system adjusts the difference in rotation speed of the tires. ALL of these situations do two things - wear the clutch - and heat up the transfer case. Excessive heat is certainly indicated on TC's where people have reported a burned smell in the old oil.

The new oil had the usual gear-oil sort of smell (sulphur) and was a light golden color. Took about 2 minutes to pump it full and button it up.

This could EASILY be done on one with air-suspension by simply going to the highest suspension position and sliding under the vehicle on a piece of cardboard.

The result surprised me. It felt different backing out of his parking lot. After about 2 miles it felt much different. The acceleration is absolutely smooth now. It sort of encourages me to put my foot in the pedal..

So - why is this?

I believe the oil has broken down due to heat, and is contaminated with clutch wear particles. The clutch in the TC is a multiplate wet clutch. That means that the oil used IS important for smooth operation. Oil that is too thin and contaminated with wear particles will cause uneven clutch operation.

It's my belief that the roughness in acceleration (and on turning) and the noise are symptoms of the clutch plates engaging erratically, sticking and then releasing.

New oil seems to cure this - at least in the vehicles it's been tried in. People have gotten success using other than the expensive Porsche oil. An oil from Ravenol has been used successfully - and claims to meet the Porsche specification for the oil.

Car manufacturers like extended service intervals.. for a simple reason, it makes it easier to sell cars. People are afraid of high maintenance costs, (which would be very true if this was done by Porsche - the estimate to change the oil was over $200..) so the manufacturer extends the service intervals as far as they possibly can and have the car survive the original warranty period and any CPO period they might have to cover. At 100,000 miles - to the manufacturer - the car is basically dead to them. They have no continuing interest since they aren't going to make money off it.

So - it's easy and inexpensive to do - and it has FIXED issues that Porsche dealers wanted $4,000 to fix.

Just do it. Change your TC oil. And to check the oil at oil change intervals - remove the top fill plug and stick your finger in (or if it's full and warm some oil will run out) if the oil is DARK - replace it.

YMMV - but bet not a whole lot..

Looking forward from under the car:

Old 01-25-2020, 09:45 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CayennedieselV8S
Hi folks,

New to the forum and just purchased, as per my screen name, a 2015 Cayenne 4.2 V8 Diesel S (on 38k miles)
Just looking for some definitive guidance on the TC issue, as to what models are affected, as i have read conflicting opinions on other forums.

I read online that the TC issue is only a gasoline version issue and not present in the diesel versions, but i have also read that it is common amongst most models in the 958 range?
Most of the issues i've read about so far seem to be on earlier models, does anyone know if Porsche changed the breather design or changed the inspection / service schedule on the fluids on later models?

We will take delivery of the car on Jan 31st, so still have some time to get the dealer to at least check / replace the fluid as i'm sure they done want a warranty claim either!
There were no obvious noises during the test drive, but knowing my luck it will happen a week after i take delivery!

Many Thanks
Neil
We didn't get the V8 diesel in the US - but in general - changing the transfer case fluid won't hurt anything (provided you take care tightening the two plugs when you're refilling it) and could help things. Your 2015 doesn't have the vent modification unless someone paid to do it.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 AM
ahdguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Just wanted to add my 2010 GTS with 48K intermittently started jerking/hunting in higher gears. I'd had the car a couple of years, and this issue was the final straw regards reliability - (too many issues to list).
I did however replace the transfer case fluid at the local indie after reading similar threads, and I didn't get the jerking while driving subsequently but afraid to say that was it for me and my Porsche experience, and I traded it in a for a new SUV a few weeks later (ironically for a Jaguar which has to be way behind the reliability scale vs Porsche, but has somehow been faultless)...

Anyway just wanted to add my experience with the fluid change making an improvement to what felt like an impending substantial hit to the wallet.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:16 PM
carbon///m is on a distinguished road
To those using the OEM fluid - how are you getting fluid out to fill case? I don't have any issues but was thinking of doing as preventative care along w oil change.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:14 PM
mthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the rough
just came back from my dealer Suncost Porsche in FL. The service guy told me that Porsche has extended the warranty on the Transfer case and Speed sensor on my 2013 GTS. the case is covered until 2023 and the speed control is until 2024. I have replaced the case twice all we covered by warranty. folks should check with there dealer. he also told me that its a new design. I asked how it was different and he said they changed all the intervals but did not give me any other details. Hope this helps.

I am the original owner - not sure if this is a transferable warranty

Old 09-16-2020, 11:20 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Transfer case warranty extension to 10 years

Just got email from PORSCHE for MY 2011- MY 2014. Included words for reimbursement of payments already made for transfer case problems!

10 years / unlimited mileage!

Old 09-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Porsche_1988 is on a distinguished road
Is it state specific? I did not get it and am original owner.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Porsche_1988
Is it state specific? I did not get it and am original owner.
Don't think so. Yours may be in the mail

Old 10-14-2020, 08:22 AM
Porsche_1988 is on a distinguished road
Just got my warranty notice today. Anyone received any money back yet if you got it done after warranty? Even though mine was replaced at an independent 2 years ago should I take it to the dealer for inspection?

Old 12-31-2020, 02:24 PM
DiverDownBrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Just had mine done. 2018 Cayenne S. Only 22K miles.

Symptoms were just as described here.

Had it done at the Wilmington, NC dealer.

It was night/day after having it fixed.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:52 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Those of you that changed the TC fluid, did the problem every come back? If so, how long/miles did it last?

I changed my fluid 4 years and 25K miles ago, symptoms still hasn't come back. I am actually wanting it to come back so I can get it replaced under the recall campaign. Right now they wouldn't do it since they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:16 PM
ChrisFu is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by steph280
Those of you that changed the TC fluid, did the problem every come back? If so, how long/miles did it last?

I changed my fluid 4 years and 25K miles ago, symptoms still hasn't come back. I am actually wanting it to come back so I can get it replaced under the recall campaign. Right now they wouldn't do it since they couldn't duplicate the problem.
I'm in the exact same boat. I changed my fluid annually for the past 4 years and eliminated all the symptoms, and have now put 60k additional miles on my 6MT 958. I was hoping that since I skipped the most recent TC fluid swap at oil change this spring, I would at least get some symptoms to get a replacement, but to date its still fine. My warranty expires July 2022 so another 12 months of opportunity.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by steph280

I'm in the same boat

Old 10-05-2021, 05:48 AM
Registered PM
virkdoc is on a distinguished road
New to me Cayenne S 2013.
Need to change the TC fluid....ravenol is not available here in India. Can someone post up alternates to the TC fluid.
Moly or Motul or anyother.
@deilenberger

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced