Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:53 PM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
@Don, I already summarized it in my previous writeup with oil comparison photos above.
2012 Cayenne V6 62,500 miles

@Tom_T & Petza914,
Thanks for good advices and nice photos depicting how to lift Porsche safely!

It seems that ESCO jack stands would work well for me. Whenever I lifted my Cayenne, I always felt unsafe because I know that many car enthusiasts die every year due to tragic incidents associated with jack stands & floor jacks. I am living in California so I also must prepare the worst situation like the Big One (Earthquake). I experienced a couple of medium magnitude earthquakes in California and it's very scary to see the whole world being shaken for a while.

I never say to myself it's ENOUGH in terms of safety.

Thanks again for all great write-up!

Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Latest update:

Added another successful fix with fluid replacement - by Dynamic101.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:40 PM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dynamic101
...earthquakes...
Ok, that would be problem. Yikes.

Ramps are sometimes problematic for handling a moving load. As in, it moves as you push forward to up it. Which can be a problem if you're looking to have both wheels at the same level. Ramps with a longer top help avoid that.

My only ramp horror story was neglecting to understand that when I pulled the last bolt out of the diff-side of an IRS on a Bavaria that I'd lose the lock the manual transmission was holding through that differential. PING goes the bolt, whooooosh goes the car down off the ramps... I may be a big guy but I'm damned fast when it comes to impending expensive auto repairs. Stopped it literally an inch before it hit something. Of course then the adventure was getting it back up onto the ramps again... Ah, youth, not enough experience... or money.

So, yeah, all the usual rules apply. Chocks, pulled rims left placed under the frame rails, belt-and-suspender amounts of safeguards...

But earthquakes? Oy, if ever one needed an excuse to the wife for getting a securely bolted-down permanent lift...

Old 05-06-2017, 07:46 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wkearney99
Ramps are sometimes problematic for handling a moving load. As in, it moves as you push forward to up it. Which can be a problem if you're looking to have both wheels at the same level. Ramps with a longer top help avoid that.
Trick I found for that. I have a piece of carpeting with fairly tight/thick weave - about 10'x6' that I set the ramps on.

As soon as weight gets on them they sink into the carpeting and don't scoot across the floor. It also helps if like Rhino ramps they have a fairly long ramp. Plus of course 4WD helps too.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:56 PM
olivr911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transfer case

You can add me to the list......
2012 Cayenne S / 40,449 / Transfer case replacement /

Old 05-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by olivr911
You can add me to the list......
2012 Cayenne S / 40,449 / Transfer case replacement /
Warranty? Am I correct in assuming an oil change wasn't first tried?

Old 05-07-2017, 08:19 AM
No warranty and they are not trying an oil change. The dealership still has the vehicle, which is going into it's fourth week. From what I was told, Porsche still hasn't sent a new TC. from Germany.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:18 AM
No warranty and they are not trying an oil change. The dealership still has the vehicle, which is going into it's fourth week. From what I was told, Porsche still hasn't sent a new TC. from Germany.
Well - that's BS. Sounds like a not so good dealer to me.

There is nothing to lose by trying new oil in the TC. So far - it looks like 7 success stories and no "didn't work" stories. Even at dealer prices it will cost a tiny fraction of what a new TC costs, so to me it would certainly be worth the gamble.

Them waiting for the TC from Germany also is strange since other people are getting them replaced *****-nilly - to the point some dealers keep the cases in stock. Unless you have a TC variant that is quite rare I can't imagine a 4 week delay on obtaining one. It might be worth your while to check with someplace like Suncoast - using your VIN# - on how long it would take for them to get a case to you.

At this point I'd be asking to speak to the actual service manager and skip the service "adviser" - all they advise you to do is spend money. They are not going to advise you to do something that is as simple as changing the oil as long as Porsche labels it "Lifetime" oil.

I'd tell them CHANGE THE OIL. Then I'd pick up the Cayenne and see if whatever problem you had is cured. Then let us know.

But - that's me. Some people aren't that concerned about spending $4k on unneeded replacement.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 PM
TC Failure

Let me explain. I unknowingly purchased the vehicle from this dealership with the TC bad. I immediately complained and together with Porsche, they are replacing it free of charge. I do not know who's paying for what but i Do find the wait unusual.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Let me explain. I unknowingly purchased the vehicle from this dealership with the TC bad. I immediately complained and together with Porsche, they are replacing it free of charge. I do not know who's paying for what but i Do find the wait unusual.
Ah - that pretty much makes it warranty - by someone besides you. Thanks, and yes - I'd find the wait quite unusual. Have they given you a loaner? Seems things more along quicker sometimes if you're driving their vehicle around.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:06 PM
They have offered to make the first month's payment and upgrage the gps maps. They did offer a loaner, but I have another vehicle so I declined. But I think your onto something and may take them up on that loaner. Thanks !

Old 05-07-2017, 03:38 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Magnetic K
My 2011 Cayenne V6 has been having jerking or hesitation upon moderate to hard acceleration. It was quite subtle when the car was new, but is now more noticeable with age at 20k miles. The Cayenne felt like it was slipping gears on climbing up hills. The dealer indicated that it was a "transfer case" issue, and that it was not uncommon in the type 958 Cayenne. So, this was replaced under warranty. Problem solved! My dealership has replaced several transfer cases for the type 958 Cayenne.

I was not able to find much on the web or other forum sites on the new Cayenne model, though there are references to this issue on older models. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Despite this, the Porsche Cayenne is an awesome handling SUV, that instills great confidence on the road.
Thank you for sharing the info. My 2014 Cayenne is 30K now. So far is so good.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:59 PM
They have offered to make the first month's payment and upgrage the gps maps. They did offer a loaner, but I have another vehicle so I declined. But I think your onto something and may take them up on that loaner. Thanks !
Is this the Porsche dealer? Is that who you bought it through? I don't see this being anything generous - you haven't had use of the vehicle for a month - and they make that month's payment? And they give you the map upgrade which costs them about $300? That's against a repair that will probably bill out at more than $4,000?

Thought about this a bit more - you may want to hit them with: http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer...ntability.html

Basically the Implied Warranty of Merchantability says as a car dealer - they are in a position to know if a car is driveable. Since the purpose of a car is driving it - one that doesn't meet this test fails to be what they sold it as. This warranty doesn't have to be in writing or even stated by the dealer. It just can't be negated. It really means if you take this to court - there is an excellent chance you'll get all your money back and they get to keep the Cayenne.

(DISCLAIMER: I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on the telly. I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm just a guy who has been around the block a few times and have some ideas that have worked for me in the past to share..)

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-07-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Thank you. It was sold by a Porsche Dealership.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Boeing Driver is on a distinguished road
Guys, can you verify this is what I need for my x case? Normally I'm a Motul guy but in this case I think I'm going with Porsche.

Part #: 000-043-305-63-OEM

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe...he/00004330563

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced