Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 AM
ChrisFu is an unknown quantity at this point
Best tool for the job is the OTC oil suction gun, very high quality device. Was a necessity on transmission and rear diff for me.

Amazon Amazon

That said, if you purchase the Ravenol bottle, it actually has an integral dispensing tube that allows you to squeeze the fluid into the case. Incredibly handy.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
Ugh, I utterly despise the smell of gear oils. I had a ratchet drop into a drain pan and a decade later it STILL stank of that gunk.

Me, I'd pay someone else to suffer the task. I can't see that bottle having enough room under there to do the job effectively. The pump/hose style seems like much less hassle. But how close is the quantity needed compared to the container size? And does the stuff 'keep' on the shelf, or does it suffer like brake fluid once opened?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Transfer case needs 850mL, and the bottle is 1L with graduated markings on the side, so you can just dispense until there is roughly 150mL remaining.

A full case is essentially filled up to the level of the fill plug, so if you try to put more fluid in than that, it will just come right back out on you.

With the Ravenol bottle, I can change the fluid in about 20 minutes - there is a ton of empty space around the case under the car.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:22 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
My wife should be picking up her CTT this afternoon. I will post the transfer case part number once I see the repair bill. Thank goodness for CPO.

I also have the smell of gear oil. I once got some 90 weight in my eye. I thought I was going to be blind. It took a while to rinse it once.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:42 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ChrisFu
Transfer case needs 850mL, and the bottle is 1L with graduated markings on the side, so you can just dispense until there is roughly 150mL remaining.

A full case is essentially filled up to the level of the fill plug, so if you try to put more fluid in than that, it will just come right back out on you.

With the Ravenol bottle, I can change the fluid in about 20 minutes - there is a ton of empty space around the case under the car.
Enough to tilt up the bottle, or do you squeeze it and it pulls from the bottom?

Is the Porsche bottle also 1L? Would that extra 150ml be 'enough' to send as a sample for testing? Along with some of what came out? That'd be a good base-line for a direct before/after comparison with the 'official' fluid. And then perhaps the next time around with Ravenol or something else.

Mine's new so I don't have any immediate reasons to be poking around with this but I'd like to 'stay ahead' of any impending xfer case problems. I've never liked the idea of 'lifetime' lubricant service intervals. I'd rather 'waste' the money having this replaced during a regular oil change interval (or every-other) rather than the time/money/hassle of doing a whole xfer case later.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 AM
There's enough room to be able to get the bottle tilted where you can fill it with the tube and some squeezing. Once you get under there you'll see really clearly.

I think I saw somewhere that the Porsche fluid is actually an 850mL bottle, so you'd use it all.

Its a very good idea to keep an eye on this proactively, I wish the previous owner of ours had done so.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:35 PM
quickster2 is an unknown quantity at this point
The -63 Porsche bottle is 850ML FYI.

Based on Chris' oil color I just ordered some Ravenol. I am going to flush one more time with this at the 5K interval and then go another 5K prior to installing the -63 OEM. My OCI is 5K so it will be easy to do the x-fer case at the same time. Unfortunately, it will be a couple of months for these miles to accumulate. Just to recap: 2012 S with 65K prior to all of this x-fer case activity with a new to me 958 decided to do all fluid except x-mission (antifreeze, power steering, brake, front & rear diffs, and x-fer case). Indie shop utilized BMW x-fer case fluid. Path forward will be @ 70K Ravenol, @75K -63 OEM. Oil is cheap insurance IMO. The PiG runs near perfect and just installed the CF interior trims on the black interior (looking good). Going to drive this until it gives up on me. Also installed Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus'. This machine is great on the road for sure. Even the spouse (non-gearhead) comments on the comfort and ride!

Can't say I had any symptoms prior to changing out the fluid but it sure drives nice now. Will do the trans at 80K.

Last edited by quickster2; 04-05-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:07 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by function12
My wife should be picking up her CTT this afternoon. I will post the transfer case part number once I see the repair bill. Thank goodness for CPO.

I also have the smell of gear oil. I once got some 90 weight in my eye. I thought I was going to be blind. It took a while to rinse it once.
Parts used
958-341-011-EX Transfer box ready F $3343.86
958-301-047-10 Vent line transfer B $44.83
N103-284-01 Line bracket $6.20
N107-837-01 Spacer ring $6.58
Installed update breather hose for transfer case

It didn't show any labor time.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 PM
quickster2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil is cheap!

Originally Posted by function12
Parts used
958-341-011-EX Transfer box ready F $3343.86
958-301-047-10 Vent line transfer B $44.83
N103-284-01 Line bracket $6.20
N107-837-01 Spacer ring $6.58
Installed update breather hose for transfer case

It didn't show any labor time.
No CPO for me so 3 planned oil changes is my prescription.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:44 AM
pastorom is on a distinguished road
Cross-posting this both at 6Speed and Renntech.

Quick Refresher - Left turn crunching issue. 3rd Owner for 2011 CTT with 93k miles. Switched fluids to Redline D4 ATF and while the frequency of issues decreased, they were still around. So 300 miles later switched to the Ravenol fluid. Have given it 300 more miles since, just to make sure, but can now confidently say that the issues are completely gone. So mark this down as another data point in favor of the oil change as opposed to the TC change.

Also, given that you only need a Qt (850 ml actually), i'm just going to get into the habit of changing the TC fluid every year/motor oil change, given it's so easy and cheap, and given that i have yet to hear why changing it that frequently would be a bad idea.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:37 PM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
Amazing write-ups! Awesome people! I read all write-ups from the Page 1.

During I changed engine oil and filter today, I took a photo for the transfer case. (2012 Cayenne V6 & 62k miles)

As shown in the attached photo, it looks that there are some kind of washers in red for the fill and drain holes.
1. Should I replace the washer? I can't find the parts in any websites though.
2. I am also wondering if the Cayenne needs to be lifted for TC oil change.

I started hearing weird sound only at the low speed, e.g., very low tick tick tick sound but it is gone at the high speed. I really hope that it's not the symptom associated with the notorious TC problems.

I would like to take a moment to say thank you all who inspired/motivated many Cayenne owners to replace TC oil as one of the best preventive maintenance works.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
1. No washers on mine. Some sealant perhaps.

2. If you have air-suspension, lifting it to the highest position should allow even a robust chap to wiggle under the vehicle and do the job. If you don't have air-suspension, driving the front wheels up on a few 2x10 scraps of lumber stacked up will provide enough clearance to do the job.

That's a lovely clean case (gotta love a California car!), and great shot of the air-scoop on the leading edge of the case. I suspect the cleanliness is why you see some pink around the filler/drain plugs.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:52 PM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
My Cayenne is not equipped with air-suspension but your advice is very helpful.
Yes, it's a California garage queen!
Thanks Don!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Mike 41 is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 S 51,000miles Texas/KY Mike 41

I bought the vehicle used in Texas and I live in KY so it's first 32,000 miles were in Texas and last 20,000 miles are from KY. Just got it replaced yesterday, was making a "thump...thump...thump" in the 25~35mph, 3 to 4 gear shift under acceleration.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike 41
2012 S 51,000miles Texas/KY Mike 41

I bought the vehicle used in Texas and I live in KY so it's first 32,000 miles were in Texas and last 20,000 miles are from KY. Just got it replaced yesterday, was making a "thump...thump...thump" in the 25~35mph, 3 to 4 gear shift under acceleration.

Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike,

Was this paid for by you? If so - cost?

I assume done at a dealership and they didn't try changing the oil first..

I'd like to add the info to the list developing at: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...-fluid/?page=3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced