Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
Wow... this thread has really developed since I last posted.

Don, to add to your list. Not a fluid change but a X-fer Case replacement.

2013 / V6 / 55k miles / (50k in NC, 5k in DC) / AT / Qu4ttro / New X-fer Case

I replaced my X-fer case under 3rd party extended warranty before we came to know that a simple fluid change could be a solution. I would have to take a look at my receipt to see if the new venting line was added (i doubt it). Does anyone know when Porsche sent out the technical bulletin?

Excuse my ignorance on this subject. Is our OEM Automatic Trans fluid (PN 000-043-305-63) used in both our Automatic Trans and the X-fer case? How about the front and rear LSD?

Also where are you guys purchasing your Ravenol TF-870 fluid? Only place i could find was ebay at $22.56 per liter.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Mike 41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Mike,

Was this paid for by you? If so - cost?

I assume done at a dealership and they didn't try changing the oil first..

I'd like to add the info to the list developing at: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...-fluid/?page=3
The work was done by a dealership that did help with the majority of the cost and did not try the fluid change first.

mike

Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
Excuse my ignorance on this subject. Is our OEM Automatic Trans fluid (PN 000-043-305-63) used in both our Automatic Trans and the X-fer case? How about the front and rear LSD?

Also where are you guys purchasing your Ravenol TF-870 fluid? Only place i could find was ebay at $22.56 per liter.
No. The autotrans uses it's own fluid (the Toyota Asian transmission uses the same fluid - and it can be found at a reasonable price on Amazon..) The differentials use an 80W-90 GL5 gear oil. They are open differentials so not a lot of magic to them.

As far as where they're buying Ravenol - dunno - the ebay price is better than Amazon (although sometimes shipping will make the difference if you have Amazon Prime..)

Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike 41
The work was done by a dealership that did help with the majority of the cost and did not try the fluid change first.

mike
Too bad. I would love for someone who is facing transfer-case replacement to try (1) changing the oil - to Ravinol or Porsche OE (2) Adding the GM limited-slip additive: http://a.co/dO4rXLV

I'm willing to bet a beer that the transfer-case would start working just fine if the clutch in it isn't completely shot.

The cost to try it is a very small fraction of the cost of a new transfer-case. Worst case would be the case would get worse - which wouldn't matter since the owner was planning on replacing it anyway.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:07 AM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
Adding my TC failure and Dealer replacement (with the new vent line) on my 2012 Cayenne S to this building data base. Mine was covered under CPO in January 2017. I posted up a thread on my symptoms and my eventual resolution on Rennlist at: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...yenne-s-2.html

I had ~53k on the clock and I posted up a pic of the paperwork on the "Post your Repair/Warranty List Here" sticky on RL. Is there an additional site to catalogue these failures (I'm not a member on RennTech)? I just want to make sure that my stat gets added to this astonishingly long list of failures ...

Last edited by North Shore 911; 04-20-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 AM
quickster2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be careful adding limited slip additive (friction modifier) in large quantities. My experience with Dodge Viper and my Jeep differentials is that is added at a 5% rate. I have seen many diffs fail due to too much additive.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by quickster2
I would be careful adding limited slip additive (friction modifier) in large quantities. My experience with Dodge Viper and my Jeep differentials is that is added at a 5% rate. I have seen many diffs fail due to too much additive.
True.. but the risk isn't much at all if the person is planning on getting the case replaced already. Worst case - they go ahead with the plan to get it replaced. Best case - it fixes it.

The little bottle of additive has 118cc in it. The transfer case holds 850cc of oil. Figure half the bottle is roughly 5%.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 PM
quickster2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Agree Don just wanted to caution folks who sometimes think more is better.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:42 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Add me to the list:

2011 Cayenne Turbo
69,500 miles
Replaced transfer case under warranty today no questions asked.

Symptoms were a grinding noise at low speeds with wheel turned (setting up to back into parking spot).
Hesitation in lower gears mostly.
Also had some adaptive cruise control warnings that would come on fairly regularly - service advisor said the transfer case could be the cause of that as well.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:02 PM
ktr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great thread and thank you to everyone who posted here. I had the dreaded clicking sound from underneath my 2011 with 70k miles. Went ahead and gave the fluid change a try and sure enough my transfer case is quiet and functioning normally. Used Motul DCTF in the transfer case and did the diffs while I was under the car with Amsoil 75w90. Took a couple of hours and well worth it. Fluids looked rough especially the transfer case as the fluid had a burned smell to it. Love my pig and glad I was able to

Old 04-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by ktr6
Great thread and thank you to everyone who posted here. I had the dreaded clicking sound from underneath my 2011 with 70k miles. Went ahead and gave the fluid change a try and sure enough my transfer case is quiet and functioning normally. Used Motul DCTF in the transfer case and did the diffs while I was under the car with Amsoil 75w90. Took a couple of hours and well worth it. Fluids looked rough especially the transfer case as the fluid had a burned smell to it. Love my pig and glad I was able to
Thanks for the info. I've added it to the chart I'm keeping at:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...comment=287292

But didn't have what model you own so I could use that info to make the chart consistent.

BTW - the burned smell is consistent across all the reports so far where a fluid change helped. In some cases it looks like a good idea to change the oil again, perhaps after 1,000-2,000 miles or so, and then to add it to an every-other oil change schedule. It's trivial to change if you have an oil-squirter tool. Harbor Freight has them for about $3 or so.

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-30-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Porsche_1988
Another victim here. Wife's 2013 V6. Just got a 4100.00 estimate from my indie. 3400.00 for the part. Interesting to see the possible success just changing the oil.
Scott - was a fluid change tried? Any success to report? TIA!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Figured I'd copy my chart from RennTech to here. Anyone who I've missed - please PM me and I'll add your info. I'm especially interested in anyone who has tried fluid changes. It appears that Porsche standard operating procedure under original or CPO warranty now is to simply replace the case. To me that sounds as if the vendor who made them is fronting the rebuilt cases and Porsche is eating the labor costs.

Here is the data so far:

NOTE: So far all the warranty TC replacements were done without trying a change of oil first - so we don't know if those Transfer-Cases would have responded positively to a simple oil change.

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-01-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Cleaned up formatting..
Old 05-01-2017, 10:12 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Missed Mine 2011 Cayenne S 68,004 Pittsburgh, PA Porsche OEM TJtheDJ New XFerCase (Warranty)

Old 05-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
Missed Mine 2011 Cayenne S 68,004 Pittsburgh, PA Porsche OEM TJtheDJ New XFerCase (Warranty)
I'll be updating sometime tomorrow.. and several more have been reported to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced