Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 AM
Sybco is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Sybco - since that's listed as WC26 - it must have been described in a workshop campaign bulletin. Wonder how we might get a copy of that..

One thing that is called for in the factory service manual is resetting of the wear-indicator records in the all-wheel-drive module when the transfer case oil is replaced. I'd assume this also is done when the TC is replaced.
well hell Deilenberger! I might just ask my friendly SM if he could some how find a WC26 copy laying around.
Bet my odds are worse than full reimbursement on a TC r&r!

Old 03-18-2017, 01:10 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sybco
well hell Deilenberger! I might just ask my friendly SM if he could some how find a WC26 copy laying around.
Bet my odds are worse than full reimbursement on a TC r&r!
Glad to see my drift didn't pass by un-gotten..

BTW - I've found the path to enlightenment and friendship with a SM is often well lubricated with a 6-pack of German beer. Just sayin.. it can be the best investment you'll make in your Cayenne. (BTDT a few times, and usually a case for a job well done - so the SM, SA, shop-foreman and mechanic each get a 6 pack.)

Old 03-19-2017, 03:35 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
My 2012 V6 just started to experience the symptoms. With expired warranty, I am wondering if it's worth forking out this much to fix it. I've just went through a $1K water pump replacement last month. It's getting way too expensive to maintain.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:26 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steph280
My 2012 V6 just started to experience the symptoms. With expired warranty, I am wondering if it's worth forking out this much to fix it. I've just went through a $1K water pump replacement last month. It's getting way too expensive to maintain.
How about $45 to fix it? Try doing an oil change on the TC before panicking.

See: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...blehesitation/
The oil he used is about $15/liter, and labor shouldn't be more than 30 minutes. It's easier than an oil change. Mine has no symptoms, and according to my diagnostics tool the TC is doing fine, but it's getting an oil change later this week (72,000 miles on it.)

Also worth reading: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...er-case-fluid/

If you paid $1k for a water pump, you're seeing the wrong mechanic. Pump cost is around $200 (probably much cheaper from VW - found it for $37.00), and labor shouldn't be more than 3 hours. Was more done than just a water pump?

Last edited by deilenberger; 03-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
How about $45 to fix it? Try doing an oil change on the TC before panicking.

See: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...blehesitation/
The oil he used is about $15/liter, and labor shouldn't be more than 30 minutes. It's easier than an oil change. Mine has no symptoms, and according to my diagnostics tool the TC is doing fine, but it's getting an oil change later this week (72,000 miles on it.)

Also worth reading: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...er-case-fluid/

If you paid $1k for a water pump, you're seeing the wrong mechanic. Pump cost is around $200 (probably much cheaper from VW - found it for $37.00), and labor shouldn't be more than 3 hours. Was more done than just a water pump?
Thanks for the suggestion. I will talk to my indy shop about fluid replacement as first step.

The waterpump (part 958-106-033-02) was $251, a belt was also replaced (955-102-933-00) at $150, plus $90 worth of antifreeze, and $418 labor. I suspect this was a bit on the high side, but car was dripping coolant as soon as I add them. Didn't want to risk driving to the dealer which is 1/2 hour away.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
With that said, if anybody has a good indy shop in So Cal / Orange County area they can recommend, I am all ears!

Old 03-20-2017, 11:08 PM
The RennTech thread is getting quite interesting. Have another chap who has done a fluid change. His also looked burned. Awaiting hearing what it now drives like - he had the usual symptoms - and it's a 6-speed manual, so no masking of the symptoms by the automatic.

Worth visiting: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...-fluid/?page=1

Old 03-21-2017, 09:02 AM
So far I've not read post from anyone that had the symptoms come back after fluid replacement. Can we safely assume this is just caused by dirty fluid?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by steph280
So far I've not read post from anyone that had the symptoms come back after fluid replacement. Can we safely assume this is just caused by dirty fluid?
I think that may be a bit premature. One hopes this is the case, but I doubt if anyone (and so far it's 2 or 3 people reporting this) has even 1,000 miles on the new TC oil. If the clutch plates are badly worn - nothing the oil can do about that.

This is a case of promising results so far - but the jury is out on this being a long term fix. If it is a long-term fix, bet Porsche will never recognize it since that means the dealerships that replaced TC's without first trying fresh oil may have some very unhappy customers.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Fluid change did nothing for me. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
although I have heard this has helped some others

Old 03-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Sybco
Fluid change did nothing for me. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
although I have heard this has helped some others
When this was done, did you get to see the fluid being drained? Color? Smell?

Just curious. Do you know what fluid was used to replace it?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 PM
texas993 is on a distinguished road
I brought my 2011 88k CTT in to Park Place (Dallas) today for the cam adjuster w22 fix. I spoke to the service manager (head guy) about the transfer case issue. He said that the early 958s transfer cases didn't fail often. And my original unit was fine. He also said that the Dallas climate didn't have the moisture issues like the other parts of the country. So I am hopeful that mine will continue to operate well. I am going to change the fluid soon with the oem fluid. Service interval is 160k miles, but I won't wait that long!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Apologies for earlier post stating I had changed my TC fluid...I in fact did not. After looking back at my receipts, I replaced the fluid in the rear differential at the time I had the TC replaced. This all runs together for me because, shortly after the TC was replaced, the rear diff went bad. To this day I wonder if my TC was ever bad. The symptoms were identical to me, and at the time were intermittent. The issues returned soon after the TC replacement. What a nightmare!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Sybco - thanks for letting us know. That puts it back at 100% success (in a VERY limited sample) with changing the TC oil.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Porsche_1988 is on a distinguished road
Another victim here. Wife's 2013 V6. Just got a 4100.00 estimate from my indie. 3400.00 for the part. Interesting to see the possible success just changing the oil.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced