Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:43 PM
bull30 is just really nicebull30 is just really nicebull30 is just really nicebull30 is just really nicebull30 is just really nice
I have a 2013 CTT and just had the transfer case replaced for the 2nd time under warranty... It's definitely an Achilles Heal of the 958. Tech claims Porsche downsized the case to shed weight. The newer lighter version is not as bulletproof.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bull30
I have a 2013 CTT and just had the transfer case replaced for the 2nd time under warranty... It's definitely an Achilles Heal of the 958. Tech claims Porsche downsized the case to shed weight. The newer lighter version is not as bulletproof.
Thanks for the input. So I guess the replacement I got might fail again and is pretty much replaced with the same defected part the factory put in. "Not as bulletproof" is an understatement. Our transfer cases are fragile POS if they break before 27k miles.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:31 AM
fkrieger is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
Thanks for the input. So I guess the replacement I got might fail again and is pretty much replaced with the same defected part the factory put in. "Not as bulletproof" is an understatement. Our transfer cases are fragile POS if they break before 27k miles.
Agreed. Pretty disappointing in a mark that is supposed to represent quality. I'm not even at 27k. The issue is that it's a replacement (not a fix) with the same part, so go another 5 years and replace again?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Nhammond25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible issue with 2011 Cayenne Turbo transfer case

Hi all,

I currently have a 2011 Cayenne Turbo with 74k miles and it has developed an issue after about a year and a half with no issues whatsoever.

Whenever I put it into Sport Mode and mash the throttle it will pull normally until it hits about 4k rpm. Once it hits that the car violently lurches forward and the rest of the way through the gear it is extremely jumpy. I haven't gotten a chance to test through how many gears this happens, but I know it is at least through the first 4.

I have read that this year of cayenne turbo has a major issue with the transfer case. The repairs for this can be upwards of $5000 and I am hoping that I will not have to deal with that.

Is there any other possibility, besides the transfer case, that could be causing this? My current PCM version is 2.47.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-17-2017, 01:12 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
When you say "jumpy" is there any indication that RPM are rising faster than your speed (ie - something is slipping then hooking up?) That could be a transfer case clutch slipping.

Did it feel differently before when you "mashed" it in Sport mode? I do find the acceleration to be a bit brutal at full throttle in sport mode, and rarely keep it depressed fully long enough for the P!G to shift, really because of that. It feels like 500HP *RIGHT NOW* when mashed.

If it feels different than before, before panicking completely - you might try doing a fluid change on the transfer case. A few people have reported improved behavior after doing this. There is a way to use PIWIS to measure the conductivity of the fluid - telling you how worn it is - but I'd simply replace the fluid at this mileage and see if things improve. You might want to send a sample of the old fluid away for analysis to Blackstone to see if they spot excessive metal/clutch particles in the oil.

BTW - good on'ya for your thread title - you got all the basics, year/model, problem - so it encouraged me to open the thread figuring it would also be an intelligent question being asked.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
When you say "jumpy" is there any indication that RPM are rising faster than your speed (ie - something is slipping then hooking up?) That could be a transfer case clutch slipping.

Did it feel differently before when you "mashed" it in Sport mode? I do find the acceleration to be a bit brutal at full throttle in sport mode, and rarely keep it depressed fully long enough for the P!G to shift, really because of that. It feels like 500HP *RIGHT NOW* when mashed.

If it feels different than before, before panicking completely - you might try doing a fluid change on the transfer case. A few people have reported improved behavior after doing this. There is a way to use PIWIS to measure the conductivity of the fluid - telling you how worn it is - but I'd simply replace the fluid at this mileage and see if things improve. You might want to send a sample of the old fluid away for analysis to Blackstone to see if they spot excessive metal/clutch particles in the oil.

BTW - good on'ya for your thread title - you got all the basics, year/model, problem - so it encouraged me to open the thread figuring it would also be an intelligent question being asked.

That's what I was thinking. The car is "jumpy" in that it almost completely stops pulling at 4k rpm, and then resumes full power after about 1 hundredth of a second later. It definitely feels as though it is slipping under hard acceleration, but it drives without issue otherwise.

I also checked the boost pressure(on the digital interface) to make sure i was still getting power from the turbos and the turbos were still performing normally.

I had also read that there was some type of software issue where shifts were rough and the gear was not very smooth. Supposedly this was fixed with update 2.44 and mine sits at 2.47.

I have also not gotten any type of warning light/message. I can only presume that it has to be the transfer case. Given that it probably is, do you have any idea how safe it would be to drive it without repairing it? I've just bought a home and can hardly afford an extra expense this month

(Also thank you for the compliment!)

Old 01-17-2017, 08:27 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
It's probably safe enough to drive - if you turn off sport mode.. I don't know that you'll get a warning/message - I can't recall anyone mentioning it. Most people seem to describe pretty much what you do - slipping on hard acceleration. It probably won't get better by itself - but if you grand-pa it - it may not get worse quickly. I would start putting some $$ away though.

You may want to also check the NHTSA/DOT website for any recalls that may be applicable for your Turbo. There are several for 2011 transfer cases:

Originally Posted by NHTSA
NHTSA ID Number: 10043470
Manufacturer Communication Number: TI-91-11
Summary
PORSCHE: THE TRANSFER CASE CAN CAUSE VIBRATIONS WHILE DRIVING DUE TO THE POSSIBLE INSTALLATION OF DEFECTIVE CLUTCH BASKETS. *PE
3 Associated Products
Vehicles MAKE MODEL YEAR
PORSCHE CAYENNE 2011
PORSCHE CAYENNE S 2011
PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011
Another one:
Originally Posted by NHTSA
NHTSA ID Number: 10043969
Manufacturer Communication Number: 66-11
Summary
PORSCHE: MISSING OFFSET AND GRADIENT VALUES ON THE TRANSFER CASE (WITH THE ALL-WHEEL DRIVE CONTROL UNIT), THE OFFSET AND GRADIENT VALUES MUST BE WRITTEN INTO THE NEW ALL-WHEEL DRIVE CONTROL UNIT. *JS
6 Associated Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
PORSCHE CAYENNE 2011-2012
PORSCHE CAYENNE S 2011-2012
PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011-2012
There are other recalls for the 2011 model year - and you can search them on NHTSA's website (although it isn't obvious..) by recall # - go to: http://www.porscheproblems.com/tsbs/Cayenne/2011/ to get the recall #'s, then go to: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle and look under "Check your vehicle safety" - there is an option to lookup a recall by recall#.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes..

Old 01-17-2017, 10:16 PM
I will take it to the local Porsche dealer and get it checked out, Thanks for all your help! Might be able to bypass a large amount of money due to the recall. I will tell how it ends up!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Everything OP describes is indicative of a boost leak...

Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen955
Everything OP describes is indicative of a boost leak...
He said:

Originally Posted by OP
mash the throttle it will pull normally until it hits about 4k rpm. Once it hits that the car violently lurches forward and the rest of the way through the gear it is extremely jumpy
How does that indicate a boost leak? "pull normally" and the leak only happens at 4K RPM?

'splain please..

Old 01-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
My Audi Allroad 2.7TT did exactly the same violent lurching at high RPMs. The culprit was a torn throttle boot.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
You guys are the experts here, but if it turns out to be boost related, could worn or bad Diverter valves cause this, releasing the boost pressure prematurely or not moderately enough?

Old 01-18-2017, 11:28 PM
A bad DV will give off an audible, "honk" at full boost.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 AM
termite is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
It's probably safe enough to drive - if you turn off sport mode.. I don't know that you'll get a warning/message - I can't recall anyone mentioning it. Most people seem to describe pretty much what you do - slipping on hard acceleration. It probably won't get better by itself - but if you grand-pa it - it may not get worse quickly. I would start putting some $$ away though.

You may want to also check the NHTSA/DOT website for any recalls that may be applicable for your Turbo. There are several for 2011 transfer cases:

Another one:

There are other recalls for the 2011 model year - and you can search them on NHTSA's website (although it isn't obvious..) by recall # - go to: http://www.porscheproblems.com/tsbs/Cayenne/2011/ to get the recall #'s, then go to: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle and look under "Check your vehicle safety" - there is an option to lookup a recall by recall#.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes..

As far as I know, these are not recalls but rather TSBs...there are dozens of TSBs for the CTT but that does not mean that Porsche is going to fix it for free as in a recall. The recalls are entirely different such as, depending on VIN, the variocam bolts and the latch on the center console. I have had both the transfer case and the rear diff replaced at 31k miles on my 2011 CTT but luckily it was all covered by CPO. My symptoms were not like those described above, I had a shudder through the truck at low speeds when turning sharply. It was much worse to the left. But, others have described similar issues:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-replaced.html

Old 01-19-2017, 04:05 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Is it possible to post a youtube video of your problems? While I agree that your fluid should be changed, i'm not convinced its the root cause of your problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced