Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 05:51 PM
llemaitre is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by deilenberger
It certainly wouldn't hurt to change the diff fluid in both differentials (there is a front and back one) - but that doesn't seem to be the issue. The issue is the clutch in the transfer-case misbehaving and a fluid change seems to put it back in order.

Try to capture a sample of the fluid coming out.. be interested to see/hear what color it is and what it smells like.

And please DO come back and tell us the results.
Thanks. I wonder if the others who had it fixed with just fluid change were only experiencing slight hesitation. Unfortunately, I was 250 miles from home when the symptoms appeared and now from about 20mph to 45mph I get about 5 or 6 thuds with a slight buck. Sucks.....

Old 04-01-2017, 11:56 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
If you read here and RennTech.org - people were experiencing considerably more than slight hesitation. The common symptoms were shudder under acceleration, nut-cracking noises when turning corners.

Too bad you had to go the 250 miles - but almost can bet that a fluid change might just fix you right up. DO use either the Porsche oil, or even better - buy some of the $15.75 Fuchs fluid from Pelican, run that for 1,000 miles, then change it again using the new number Porsche fluid.

See: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/7086/POR_7086_BASMIS_pg4.htm#item16

Suggested reading: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/50722-stumblehesitation/
and https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/50951-alternative-transfer-case-fluid/

BTW - I can't imagine any reason you wouldn't do the fluid change first. The cost ($16 + 15 minutes labor) vs $4,000 for a new transfer case make it IMHO a no-brainer.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-02-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:36 AM
If you read here and RennTech.org - people were experiencing considerably more than slight hesitation. The common symptoms were shudder under acceleration, nut-cracking noises when turning corners.

Too bad you had to go the 250 miles - but almost can bet that a fluid change might just fix you right up. DO use either the Porsche oil, or even better - buy some of the $15.75 Fuchs fluid from Pelican, run that for 1,000 miles, then change it again using the new number Porsche fluid.

See: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/7086/POR_7086_BASMIS_pg4.htm#item16

Suggested reading: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/50722-stumblehesitation/
and https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/50951-alternative-transfer-case-fluid/

BTW - I can't imagine any reason you wouldn't do the fluid change first. The cost ($16 + 15 minutes labor) vs $4,000 for a new transfer case make it IMHO a no-brainer.
thanks, much appreciated. I will report back.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:17 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
Where would one send out the fluid used for testing? It might be interesting to test it over time to see how it's degrading. Especially if there's a before/after set of tests done bracketing a known set of extreme driving conditions like towing, off-roading or excessive water.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 AM
texas993 is on a distinguished road
I changed the fluid on my 11 CTT with 88k miles. Pictures say it all.

And it does drive much better. Definitely a routine maintenance item.

The fluid I purchased from the dealer is 850 ml. Exactly enough to fill it, but no extra.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	473268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0871.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	675.8 KB
ID:	473269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	473270  
Old 04-02-2017, 01:21 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wkearney99
Where would one send out the fluid used for testing? It might be interesting to test it over time to see how it's degrading. Especially if there's a before/after set of tests done bracketing a known set of extreme driving conditions like towing, off-roading or excessive water.
I would tend toward Blackstone Labs.. I've sent them an inquiry to see if they have any "virgin" sample specifications for the original Porsche oil these vehicles came filled with from the factory.

I've also referred them to this thread and the one on RennTech so they have some understanding of the issue and what might be useful to us.

I have not heard back from them yet. If I don't hear from them by mid-week this week, I'll call and see if my email got lost somehow.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by texas993
I changed the fluid on my 11 CTT with 88k miles. Pictures say it all.

And it does drive much better. Definitely a routine maintenance item.

The fluid I purchased from the dealer is 850 ml. Exactly enough to fill it, but no extra.
That's exactly what mine looked like at 72k miles.. and as yours - mine runs better now. Smoother. One of those "oh wow!" sort of things where I didn't realize it wasn't really smooth until it suddenly became really smooth..

Old 04-02-2017, 02:15 PM
texas993 is on a distinguished road
That's exactly what mine looked like at 72k miles.. and as yours - mine runs better now. Smoother. One of those "oh wow!" sort of things where I didn't realize it wasn't really smooth until it suddenly became really smooth..
Thanks for your passion on this issue (and the cam bolts). You are helping a lot of folks.

I planned to change the fluid as routine maintenance, but your comments on the before/after made me do it sooner. Glad I did. I was worried a bit about my xfer case due to those weird moments. Those are gone now. Dealer told me the case was fine (before I changed the fluid).

Old 04-02-2017, 11:10 PM
patrickkc is on a distinguished road
Just starting noticing recently, when changing from Reverse to Drive, it would be very harsh shifting from 1st to 2nd. Also seems to be a thumping noise coming from the back when I and driving slowly and hit the brakes. I have a 14' Diesel.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by patrickkc
Just starting noticing recently, when changing from Reverse to Drive, it would be very harsh shifting from 1st to 2nd. Also seems to be a thumping noise coming from the back when I and driving slowly and hit the brakes. I have a 14' Diesel.
had the transfer case fluid changed this am. Took car for drive and thought I was in the clear - symptom free for about ten minutes. As soon as it warmed up o started experiencing the same issues albeit slightly less pronounced. Getting new transfer case - 3500 bucks at 18k.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by llemaitre
had the transfer case fluid changed this am. Took car for drive and thought I was in the clear - symptom free for about ten minutes. As soon as it warmed up o started experiencing the same issues albeit slightly less pronounced. Getting new transfer case - 3500 bucks at 18k.
Interesting.

Questions:

> What oil was used to change it?
> What did the old oil look like?

Remind us of the year/model please..
Also - please remind me of what the exact symptoms are..

18k mile failure does sound like a physical failure of some component in the Xfer case.

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-03-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Quoting myself:

I would tend toward Blackstone Labs.. I've sent them an inquiry to see if they have any "virgin" sample specifications for the original Porsche oil these vehicles came filled with from the factory.

I've also referred them to this thread and the one on RennTech so they have some understanding of the issue and what might be useful to us.

I have not heard back from them yet. If I don't hear from them by mid-week this week, I'll call and see if my email got lost somehow.

UPDATE:

Heard back from them in an email this AM:

Originally Posted by Blackstone Email
Don,

I checked our database to see if we have any samples from Porsche transfer cases, and it doesn't look like we've seen any yet. We can still compare your results to a generic transfer case as reference, but trends will be the best way to determine what's normal for a Porsche transfer case. If the solution is to change the oil, then we can at least tell you if the oil is in good condition or not, and if it should be changed or not based on its physical properties.

Once we see some samples, we'll have a stronger average file and we'll know what's normal and what's not for this type of system, so I'd encourage everyone who has this type of system to send in a sample (not just so we get business, but so it benefits the entire Porsche SUV community).

We may not have all the answers to start, but we'll do our best to address any of your concerns with this type of system.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for contacting Blackstone!

Samir Kharbas
Blackstone Laboratories
My thoughts:

Without a "virgin" base-line sample to work from, important information like initial viscosity, initial ASH-Point (temperature where the oil starts to break down) and the additive package (if any) are unknown. To really see what's happening to the oil as it's used - we need a "virgin" sample to be tested. Doing tests and using the baseline info from another oil doesn't provide us with anything useful.

I'm not about to spend the $60 necessary to order a bottle of the old-fluid part# oil - just to send a sample to Blackstone. If anyone has a sample we could use (unused "virgin" oil where the PN ended with "36") I can approach Blackstone about running a baseline run, and then running my sample for their normal test charge. In the past they have done baseline virgin oil runs for free - since it gives them knowledge that makes their reports more valuable.

Otherwise - no go.

Thoughts?

Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Interesting.

Questions:

> What oil was used to change it?
> What did the old oil look like?

Remind us of the year/model please..

18k mile failure does sound like a physical failure of some component in the Xfer case.
2012 Cayenne S. The oil that came out looked like it had some darkening but not as black as some of the samples I have seen on here. I did this at Porsche dealership, so I didn't inquire as to what was used to refill. I was told by my service adviser that they increased their stock of Cayenne transfer cases because they see this all the time now. I inquired as to whether he was aware of any design updates and he said he would look into it.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by llemaitre
2012 Cayenne S. The oil that came out looked like it had some darkening but not as black as some of the samples I have seen on here. I did this at Porsche dealership, so I didn't inquire as to what was used to refill. I was told by my service adviser that they increased their stock of Cayenne transfer cases because they see this all the time now. I inquired as to whether he was aware of any design updates and he said he would look into it.
Thanks. Good info!

The fact that it was darker, but not like the samples in this thread really indicate some sort of physical failure in the case. That and the low mileage it occurred at.

If one goes way back in time - when the 958 first came out - Porsche had a recall or service campaign (it's registered with NHTSA so it's probably a recall) for transfer cases that failed due to poor machining of the clutch housing causing binding of the clutch. These failures happened at low mileage too. Your problem almost sounds like a repeat of this.

Have you asked if Porsche will assist in the cost? Given your low mileage - if the car was regularly serviced by Porsche and bought new by you, they can make a pretty good case to have Porsche-Cars NA give some $$ toward the repair. It won't happen unless someone requests it. Usually if the dealership values your business they will go to bat for you.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Thanks. Good info!

The fact that it was darker, but not like the samples in this thread really indicate some sort of physical failure in the case. That and the low mileage it occurred at.

If one goes way back in time - when the 958 first came out - Porsche had a recall or service campaign (it's registered with NHTSA so it's probably a recall) for transfer cases that failed due to poor machining of the clutch housing causing binding of the clutch. These failures happened at low mileage too. Your problem almost sounds like a repeat of this.

Have you asked if Porsche will assist in the cost? Given your low mileage - if the car was regularly serviced by Porsche and bought new by you, they can make a pretty good case to have Porsche-Cars NA give some $$ toward the repair. It won't happen unless someone requests it. Usually if the dealership values your business they will go to bat for you.
unfortunately I just played the Porsche NA America game two months ago when all of the coolant leaked out of the car in garage after a hose that was glued in failed. Porsche NA covered the 1800 repair in full. Dealer not willing to go to bat again. At least the replacement part for the coolant issue was clearly reingineered with the hose connected bolted on instead of glued.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced