Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Opticoat 2.0 works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Opticoat 2.0 works!

The first day I got the CTT I treated the paint with Opticoat 2.0 after reading so many positive reviews. It has been raining and I looked at the hood and was surprised to see no residual water on it. I just found a page from a detailer that explains it real well and shows some cool video showing water flowing right off the finish.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/product-review-optimum-opti-coat-2-0/

Old 01-04-2014, 11:43 PM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
So I am FINALLY taking possession of my CTTS next week and have started looking into random things, one of which is Opti-Coat. How is it holding up? Is it worth getting?

Old 01-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Its one year since I got the CTT and used the Opticoat 2.0
I just washed it in the garage using their rinse-less wash and the car looks good. I haven't really taken notice if water beads up like it did in the beginning. I'll try to tale note next time it rains.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 PM
waltertm is on a distinguished road
I also heard good things about Opticoat. Is there any important prep you did before you applied it?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 AM
SStyle is on a distinguished road
Was the Opticoat difficult to apply? Did it leave a deep gloss after you applied it? Thanks.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm having the Opti-Coat applied by a local detailer next week. From what I understand, applying it is not too bad, just make sure you work with small section at a time as to not lay it on too thick. The most time consuming part is the color correction before applying the Opti-Coat. Basically you need to make sure there are no scratches or swirl marks, otherwise they will be sealed under the Opti-Coat layer.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM
gmblack3 is on a distinguished road
After proper prep (paint correction as noted above) you need to wipe down the paint with IPA Isopropyl alcohol. If not the OC2 won't bond properly and might be streaky. Dont be afraid to use alot of IPA with different sides of multi MF towels. If you use the same MF towel, you will just push the polishing oils around.

Also Opti coat is excellent on PPF. It will not effect the self healing properties of Xpel ultimate or Suntek film.

Last edited by gmblack3; 01-28-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
This is Opti-Coat 2.0:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004-Version2_zps9c8ab3b0.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	326625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0026_zps9038a10f.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	326626   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007_zps7fb9b986.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	326627   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0037-Version2_zps1495215e.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	326628  
Old 01-31-2014, 05:37 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
beautiful! Bet it looks even better in person TTCarerra.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 PM
SStyle is on a distinguished road
Looks great TTcarrera. What's your opinion on the opticoat? Gloss, durability, etc...

Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM
mr997 is on a distinguished road
What is the main benefit of Opticoat vs a nice coat of sealant on paint? I have several friends who had Opticoat done, but couldn't tell me for sure if they truly think it is worth it.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
I think the biggest difference between Opti-coat and paint sealant is the how long it lasts. Opti-coat (permanently) bonds to the cars paint. I've read this "permanently" is closer to 3-5 years. The only way to remove it is via abrasion. The way it has been explained to me is it is like an additional layer of clear coat. Paint sealants on the other hand, will normally wear off under normal wear and will need to be reapplied. In addition, some folks have applied waxes/sealants onto of the Opti-Coat as well.

Waxes
Generally defined as any product that contains a natural or synthetic waxy ingredients that are intended to protect the paint and/or add beauty to the paint. These types traditional waxes will wear off under normal wear-n-tear, repeated washings and exposure to the environment.

Paint Sealants
Generally defined as any protection product that contains man-made or synthetic ingredients that are intended to protect the paint and/or add beauty to the paint. These traditional sealants will wear off under normal wear-n-tear, repeated washings and exposure to the environment.

Coatings
Generally defined as any paint protection product that contains man-made or synthetic protection ingredients that are intended to permanently bond to the paint to both provide a barrier-coating of protection as well as create a clear, high gloss finish. The products available in this category are considered permanent coatings because like your car's paint, they cannot be removed unless you purposefully remove them or you purposefully neglect them.
The big cost associated with Opti-Coat is not the material itself, it's the color correction that needs to be done before applying it, otherwise you are locking in any scratches/swirls.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:18 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
what's the "rough" cost for the coat?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by kechang
what's the "rough" cost for the coat?
Not sure if the SF Bay are is an accurate measure of what it would cost. But for what it's worth, $400 for the Opti-Coat application (not including color correction on the paint) and $200 to have the wheels applied with Opti-Coat as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 PM
AZN_C300 is on a distinguished road
The only problem with Opti-coat is that it's not as slick and doesn't look as good as what you can get with other high end sealants. It'll provide great protection though for your vehicle, but can get "grabby" with the feel. I know some put sealant or wax over it, but if you're going to do that, what's the point of wasting money on opti-coat? This is not to say you shouldn't go with opti-coat, but just be aware of what works for you and what your goals are. If your time is important to you and you tend to skip detailing your vehicle and are content with good enough shine with no slickness, Opti-coat might be your answer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opticoat 2.0 works!