Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Diesel: Oil change DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Oddly I met up with a friend today and when he was talking about doing some work on his truck I mentioned this valve. Apparently he already has one on and is about to install two more for the coolant. Guess I need to order this in the next 2000 miles.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Just a heads up for anyone else looking at the Fumoto solution, their website appears to give you bad information. When selecting the 2013 CD from their menu it leads me to the F104 series of valves, but if you look you see that the F104 series is for an 18mm drain and we have a 14mm drain.

So it looks like the F106 is actually what is needed. Speaking with Greg he got the F106N (valve), ADP-106 (spacer), and appropriate hose.

I think I'll go with the F106SW (short nipple with the adapter built in) myself.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 PM
kbobk is on a distinguished road
I did the first 5K oil change last weekend and it sure was messy. The way the plug uses a hex and the crush washer makes for a messy drain. Let me know how that Fumoto works for you. If good, I want to pick one up before my next change.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:47 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
I finally installed the Fumoto F106N on my Cayenne Diesel, but it's a bit tricky to get the threads started due to the proximity of the drain hole and that silver underbody cross-member. The F106S is one solution, but there's very little for the PVC drain tube to hold on to. Fumoto recommends using their SH10 socket with the F106S, but then we're right back to the vertical clearance issue.

The straight adapter that comes with the ECS Tuning kit is useless, and actually prevents valve installation. Don't waste your money on one. A 90 degree adapter however, would eliminate that issue. Right now the Fumoto has to be installed vertically, hence the tight fit and messy draining (cross member and under-body panel catch oil). A 90 degree adapter would turn it into a horizontal drain AND extend the valve beyond both the cross member and front under-body panel.

Fumoto unfortunately doesn't make one, so I'm currently shopping elsewhere for a 14x1.5mm 90 degree adapter. Oh, and I personally pointed out to a US Fumoto rep that the 18mm diameter their website shows for the Cayenne diesel is wrong. They'll be correcting it to a 14x1.5mm

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 06-16-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info Greg. My next OCI is coming up in 700 miles or so, so I need to get off my butt and order this thing.

On the short valve, it is supposed to come with an adapter that you leave on your hose and it then plugs into the valve. If I recall, however, you were setting yours up so you didn't need to remove the under panel and I don't think the short would work like that.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Used a form a funnel last time and worked well, seemed to contain most of the mess.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2510801390.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	382676  
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 PM
abatis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gnat
Thanks for the info Greg. My next OCI is coming up in 700 miles or so, so I need to get off my butt and order this thing.

On the short valve, it is supposed to come with an adapter that you leave on your hose and it then plugs into the valve. If I recall, however, you were setting yours up so you didn't need to remove the under panel and I don't think the short would work like that.
I just did my 10,000 mile service before round tripping from Montana to Colorado for a wedding. Anyway, I was going to install the F106S on this change but once I got to it I decided it was needing a 90 or something like Greg said. In fact, what jackass engineer put that drain plug right over that cross member? I had used my oil extractor (Harbor Freight 6.5 gal) prior to pulling the rear lower panel to remove the drain plug. I finally got the drain plug loose and had a little Tupperware tray to catch the left over oil. The oil left in the crankcase amounted to a film in the bottom of the tray. I thought the extractor did a pretty good job. I installed a new drain plug from Suncoast and from now on I am just going to use the extractor.

Porsche/VW/Audi were just not thinking on the drain plug for this car. They could have spent a few bucks more and had that crankcase extend just a tiny bit more on the back side bottom and could have made oil changes a lot easier and no mess.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:45 PM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gnat

The F106S is indeed 10mm shorter than the F106N, but the SH10 adapter adds 14mm. Seemingly won't fit. Might work if you screwed in the F106S first, then slipped on the adapter. But that's just speculation.

Bought an eBay extractor that connects to my air compressor. Waste of money, it can't draw out more than 6 quarts. Hence the Fumoto valve and extension tube. At least now I only have to take off one under panel.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 06-04-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 AM
ggmr is on a distinguished road
has anyone tried the oil extraction method of an oil change? also, walmart has 5W40 turbo diesel mobil 1 for $24 for a four quart container.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:50 PM
I have, disappointed results. But it was the fault of the type extractor I purchased. YMMV. But that Walmart oil is for gasoline engines. You need Porsche C30 spec 5W30 for your diesel. I use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra L in 5W30, on an Amazon subscription. Case rate (6 qts) is $46 delivered. If you can afford a Porsche, you can afford to put the right fluids in it.

//greg//

Old 06-15-2014, 01:08 PM
don't want to argue but the walmart oil is mobil1 for diesel's, see the below link. i did do some research and it seems (?) to be the right oil. my mechanic uses Castrol but said the Mobil 1 was fine. thanx for the input.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W...-gal./17128879

Old 06-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by ggmr
don't want to argue but the walmart oil is mobil1 for diesel's, see the below link. i did do some research and it seems (?) to be the right oil.
That is absolutely not an approved oil. Use it at your own risk (both damage (probably low) and rejected warranty claims (high if you have an engine problem as they will test the oil)) and don't go recommending it to other CD owners.

If you look at the information from M1, that oil does not meet any of the approved specs that Porsche lists in your manual.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:57 PM
i'll do that. i can only believe what written and told me, and of that only half. thanx

Old 06-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by ggmr
i'll do that. i can only believe what written and told me, and of that only half. thanx
Best to believe what's written on your owner manual, and that's to use only 5W30 that satisfied the Porsche C30 spec

Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM
got it, thanx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Diesel: Oil change DIY