Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Yay for construction damage!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Yay for construction damage!

So a month or so ago I got splashed by some liquid while passing some construction. Turned out to not be muddy water like I thought and instead ate into the clear coat. Initial insurance estimate was 5k (it really looks like it had mud splattered on it), but as both body shops expected the clear coat can't be repaired and it needs a full paint job. So now we are up to $13k

In addition to the paint, every unpainted plastic or rubber bit on the exterior is getting replaced as well. Initially they wanted to polish the headlights, but that's now been changed to a replacement as well so I don't have yellow lights next year after polishing off the UV protectant. Additionally my shop found specs on the tail lights too that were missed in the original estimate so they are getting replaced now too.

So given that I'm going to pony up the difference and get the black headlights and tinted tail lights which based on what the insurance is paying out and what Suncoast charges is only going to cost me about $200

I want to do the Turbo bumper swap too, but even with the paint already being covered it's looking like there is too big of a price gap for me to even try justifying to the wife

As an interesting aside, this event really showed the aerodynamics of the vehicle. The bumper, front half of the hood, and outer half of the mirrors caught the brunt of the mess but the rest just had a few specs here and there. Of course the vortex at the back sucked a bunch onto the rear as well.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
that really sucks! Have you thought about getting the plastic painted body color instead of replaced? Might be cheaper and a different look?

It cost me 1300 to have the window trim and all the plastic painted body color.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I'm toying with painted black mirror stalks, but otherwise I kinda like the rough plastic look. A bit less painful when it gets scratched

Did you look into what the factory black trim would have cost? 1300 seems reasonable for the labor but I wonder if the parts wouldn't have been cheaper (but its Porsche so probably not ).

Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Stopped by this evening to drop a part off that I already had on hand (gloss black trim for the bottom of the tailgate) and the whole front end has been removed already.

Here is a pic of the insignificant looking damage as well as it's current state.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	293234   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	407
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	293235  
Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Confirmed prices yesterday so my baby is getting a facelift while it's in the shop.

Will be putting the Turbo/GTS bumper on it (I have a turbo damn it! ), the black headlights, the black tail lights, finally installing the black trim on the lift gate, and I'm finally breaking down and doing the Euro side markers too since there will be no more chrome/silver left and the clear will look better. All for only about $500 out of pocket!

Now I just need to figure out if the insurance tagged this to the VIN (comp not collision) so I know if I need to beat them up for diminished value too.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Sorry to hear about that man. But looks like this will work in your favor.
Quick questions:
1. where in NoVA did this happen? I live off 7 but moving to off 50?
2. is the construction company paying for it? I hope so.
3. how would you find out how is the insurance company tagging this to the VIN or not? (comp not collision)

Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
1. where in NoVA did this happen? I live off 7 but moving to off 50?
You won't like the answer
It was from the work they are doing on 50 right at the Loudon/FFX border (in front of the car dealers actually).

2. is the construction company paying for it? I hope so.
That's why I have insurance. They get to fight with them over it. I know they were paying a detailer for another car, but $13k is a tad more than $400 so I would expect they would stone wall this a lot more. At worst I'm only out $500 for the damages which is still worth it to get it all fixed right.

3. how would you find out how is the insurance company tagging this to the VIN or not? (comp not collision)
Do a VIN search (Carfax of DMV) to see if it shows up. If it does then I'll be entitled to a diminished value claim (on the basis that someone will see that and assume the worse so pay less for it). The question on if it will show up is because there is no requirement for them to report comprehensive claims.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
mx22 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gnat
You won't like the answer
It was from the work they are doing on 50 right at the Loudon/FFX border (in front of the car dealers actually).

That's why I have insurance. They get to fight with them over it. I know they were paying a detailer for another car, but $13k is a tad more than $400 so I would expect they would stone wall this a lot more. At worst I'm only out $500 for the damages which is still worth it to get it all fixed right.

Do a VIN search (Carfax of DMV) to see if it shows up. If it does then I'll be entitled to a diminished value claim (on the basis that someone will see that and assume the worse so pay less for it). The question on if it will show up is because there is no requirement for them to report comprehensive claims.
Can you actually charge your own insurance company for diminished value? Somehow I always thought you can only do that against someone else's insurance, but not yours.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Mine has paid it out to me before when no other party was involved. That was a no-fault situation though. I don't know if that would be true in a "you did it to your damned self" situation.

In this case, however, there is a 2nd party involved (construction company) so in addition to the actual repairs they would also go after them for the diminished value as well.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:04 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
well sounds like things worked out in your favor. So best of luck. post pix when done.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Almost all the exterior has been stripped now. It looks kinda pathetic

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	300171   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	300172  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Wow Gnat- that is a very sad sight indeed.
Thank God you know your shhht about this stuff.

Rob.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM
It helps that I'm getting more out of it than a normal repair. The burned clear coat gets fixed, doing the black head and tail lights comes out as a wash, and a good chunk of putting the turbo/gts bumper on gets covered too.

Sadly I've spent far too much time in body shops for various reasons over the years. You just have to remember not to stress about it and find a good shop. Chris does good work (though he can be slow) and I trust him, unlike the idiots USAA always wants me to go to (found out a neighbor took her Boxter to that place because she didn't know she could take it anywhere and they mess up the opposite side (and of course claimed they didn't do it)).

It will be early/mid Dec before I get it back as some of the bumper parts are coming from the Homeland. I just have to make do with the wife's 996 in the meantime I find I am missing my heated steering wheel (that I didn't want) now that the cold air has come in though...

Old 11-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Well that sucks

The bumper cover (and other sundry parts) showed up today and the shipper had trashed it (looks like they used a ratchet strap and just kept ratcheting). My body shop guy said the cover was completely unusable. So now it's gotta go back and wait for a new one.

And here I thought it was looking up as they apparently found some turn signals here in the states after all and they should be delivered (separate shipment) later today.

Oh well. So much for being thankful for having my baby back by Thanksgiving. Maybe by x-mas…

(and to make my day better one of the LCDs in the 996's cluster has gone bad…)

Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
That does suck. Sorry to hear the bad news.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yay for construction damage!