Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Rear Tailgate Issue - Soft close failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Rear Tailgate Issue - Soft close failure

I have this weird tailgate issue that happens 50% if the time. When closing the tailgate by the auto close button, the tailgate goes down fine and "clicks" once but then an alarm sounds and the soft close feature fails to pull the gate all the way in. If I apply light pressure as if I am opening the gate (not using open button) it will then soft close all the way in. Dealer replaced latch in the gate to no avail.

Anyone see this before? TIA.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, but it's always because my trunk liner has shifted and gotten slightly in the way.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I have the rubber liner but I push it all the way forward and still get error. Pretty sure not the issue but very good thought. I might take it out totally to eliminate 100 percent.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
How old is it? Your profile says you are NJ so it could be related to the cold weather, especially if the grease in the latch is a few years old.

I don't know the procedure to clean the latch, but your dealer should take care of it if your are still under warranty.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:35 AM
^2013 with 3800 miles. They already greased the latch and plastic guides and still happens. Thx.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Took out liner, problem still present.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Does the flap that covers the latch hook move freely? Has anything fallen down in the pocket the hook is in?

Except while the whole tailgate was disassembled (man it is not happy about opening and closing in that state!) I haven't had issues with mine that weren't directly attributable to something obvious in the way, but I've seen a few of these such threads over the last couple of years that I've been watching and wonder if the sensors aren't a little too finicky.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by gnat
Does the flap that covers the latch hook move freely? Has anything fallen down in the pocket the hook is in?

Except while the whole tailgate was disassembled (man it is not happy about opening and closing in that state!) I haven't had issues with mine that weren't directly attributable to something obvious in the way, but I've seen a few of these such threads over the last couple of years that I've been watching and wonder if the sensors aren't a little too finicky.
Flap goes down and up no prob. I'll check for debris but I've been messing with it a bit and would have seen something, I think.

Dealer wants to replace pistons next. I don't think this is the issue.

Also, every time I bring it in they take the tailgate apart which has a zillion clips and there is always something loose after which requires me to have the tech reassemble the tailgate.

Thanks for feedback......

Old 12-17-2019, 10:31 PM
Arvand Elihu is an unknown quantity at this point
Tailgate 2016 Cayenne

I am having the same issue. I’ve taken it to the dealer in Woodland Hills for the last 2 years and they don’t know what the problem is. They replaced the hatch lock but the problem persists. I have seen this problem posted on other websites. It is a safety issue in that the door may not lock and go unnoticed. This is very frustrating. They should put out a recall.

Originally Posted by Michael_s
I have this weird tailgate issue that happens 50% if the time. When closing the tailgate by the auto close button, the tailgate goes down fine and "clicks" once but then an alarm sounds and the soft close feature fails to pull the gate all the way in. If I apply light pressure as if I am opening the gate (not using open button) it will then soft close all the way in. Dealer replaced latch in the gate to no avail.

Anyone see this before? TIA.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:21 PM
garrett376 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Arvand Elihu
I am having the same issue. I’ve taken it to the dealer in Woodland Hills for the last 2 years and they don’t know what the problem is. They replaced the hatch lock but the problem persists. I have seen this problem posted on other websites. It is a safety issue in that the door may not lock and go unnoticed. This is very frustrating. They should put out a recall.
A new rear lid control unit 7P5959107E is supposedly the end-all to fix this issue.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:22 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
I had and have this exact problem on my 2011 Cayenne S even after I replaced the hydraulics. It doesn’t happen all the time but it does in winter especially the first time I try to close it the day. I learned a little fix. Let the hatch come down and beep that it is not secure then quickly press your latch button on your key one more time and it will pull the hatch and secure it. I learned this method through trial and error and maybe would of saved myself several hundred dollars replacing the hydraulics if I figured it out before hand.