Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Going from Sport Design to Multi-function steering wheel ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:47 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Question Going from Sport Design to Multi-function steering wheel ???

I have a Sport Design steering wheel with paddles in my CTT.
Don't get me wrong, the Sport Design wheel looks great.....but i would much prefer it being heated.
I also like that with the multi-function wheel, you get the added bonus of controlling basic stereo and phone functions (including volume).
Using the 'stalk' on the Sport Design wheel has its limitations.

Anyways, I certainly did NOT enjoy some of my winter driving last year (Minnesota) since i didn't have a heated wheel.
The minute you don't have one or its not functioning, you get cranky! Go ahead, call me spoiled.

Due to this, i would like to locate a 958 compatible Luxor Beige - Walnut Multi-function steering wheel.
Then, i will contact my local P-dealer for a quote on install and programming.
Unfortunately, i have't seen many DIY threads so I'm unsure i would want to take this project on without some help.

When reviewing Suncoast.com's website, it stated something to the effect that when going from the Sport Design to multi-function wheel, there are a few extra hardwire items needed for install.... but provided no further specifics.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...58v8TTintKNOBS

Anybody have any experience with this mod that would care to share any suggestions or summaries of the install?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BlazinPond; 09-19-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:23 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I would have called you spoiled, but then I got my CD with it (not out of desire for it, just part of the MF wheel). I was not happy to be without it all winter while it was in the shop being repainted.

This swap has been discussed before, but I don't know if it's been done by anyone here or not.

At a minimum you will need a new clock spring as well as the wheel. You will also probably need to run power to the steering column (Porsche is weird about their wiring harnesses so yours may or may not have the wiring already). I don't know if you'll need the dealer to do some reprogramming too, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Unless you find someone that wants to trade for the wheel you want, if you are going to do this maybe you should think about waiting and doing a 2015 wheel instead. That's a nice looking wheel, but it does look like you'll need a new airbag so my estimate based on the current MF full leather wheel is about $3500.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
I have a Sport Design steering wheel with paddles in my CTT.
Don't get me wrong, the Sport Design wheel looks great.....but i would much prefer it being heated.
I also like that with the multi-function wheel, you get the added bonus of controlling basic stereo and phone functions (including volume).
Using the 'stalk' on the Sport Design wheel has its limitations.

Anyways, I certainly did NOT enjoy some of my winter driving last year (Minnesota) since i didn't have a heated wheel.
The minute you don't have one or its not functioning, you get cranky! Go ahead, call me spoiled.

Due to this, i would like to locate a 958 compatible Luxor Beige - Walnut Multi-function steering wheel.
Then, i will contact my local P-dealer for a quote on install and programming.
Unfortunately, i have't seen many DIY threads so I'm unsure i would want to take this project on without some help.

When reviewing Suncoast.com's website, it stated something to the effect that when going from the Sport Design to multi-function wheel, there are a few extra hardwire items needed for install.... but provided no further specifics.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...58v8TTintKNOBS

Anybody have any experience with this mod that would care to share any suggestions or summaries of the install?

Thanks in advance!
I have traded in my 4Runner on a new Cayenne due to arrive in Dec. One of the big reasons is a heated steering wheel. I got one on my 997 and now it is a must have for me. I would have never ordered the 997 with it but bought it off the floor. It is funny the things we need after we have them. If I have to put up with Minnesota winters a heated steering wheel is a must. Good luck with your quest and give my a wave if you see me on 394.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:46 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gnat
I would have called you spoiled, but then I got my CD with it (not out of desire for it, just part of the MF wheel). I was not happy to be without it all winter while it was in the shop being repainted.

This swap has been discussed before, but I don't know if it's been done by anyone here or not.

At a minimum you will need a new clock spring as well as the wheel. You will also probably need to run power to the steering column (Porsche is weird about their wiring harnesses so yours may or may not have the wiring already). I don't know if you'll need the dealer to do some reprogramming too, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Unless you find someone that wants to trade for the wheel you want, if you are going to do this maybe you should think about waiting and doing a 2015 wheel instead. That's a nice looking wheel, but it does look like you'll need a new airbag so my estimate based on the current MF full leather wheel is about $3500.
Great suggestion to wait and get an estimate on the new style wheel. The new multi-function wheel looks amazing!

However, the price of the walnut, multi-function wheel on Suncoast is very reasonable.
The only thing i'm nervous about is how quickly the install price could explode.

Oh well...the price you pay to remain spoiled

Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by stevefrommn
I have traded in my 4Runner on a new Cayenne due to arrive in Dec. One of the big reasons is a heated steering wheel. I got one on my 997 and now it is a must have for me. I would have never ordered the 997 with it but bought it off the floor. It is funny the things we need after we have them. If I have to put up with Minnesota winters a heated steering wheel is a must. Good luck with your quest and give my a wave if you see me on 394.
100% agree Steve!
I don't frequent 394 often (once or twice a month), but i'll keep on the lookout for you when i do!
I look forward to seeing your new Cayenne.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
you will need a new clock spring as well as the wheel.
You will also probably need to run power to the steering column
you'll need the dealer to do some reprogramming

maybe you should think about waiting and doing a 2015 wheel instead.
needed parts are correct, wiring no alter, coding are necessary.

2015 wheel is very good, technically all parts are same +airbag, all electronics from macan exept wheel itself - seem like bit bigger than macan wheel. so maybe somewhere exists used macan wheel

Old 09-21-2014, 12:14 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
If the new wheel is the same as the Macan, then the airbag is a different size (I measured).

If it's a different wheel and can accept the current airbag then it might be back on the table

Old 09-21-2014, 12:39 PM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
If the new wheel is the same as the Macan, then the airbag is a different size (I measured). If it's a different wheel and can accept the current airbag then it might be back on the table
I'm heading into the dealer in a couple of weeks and will ask the service department for the details. I just wished the new wheel also came in deviated stitching.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
If the new wheel is the same as the Macan, then the airbag is a different size (I measured).

If it's a different wheel and can accept the current airbag then it might be back on the table
read again what I wrote - "all electronics from macan, exept wheel itself - seem like bit bigger". electronics = clockspring, buttons, unit inside etc. size difference can't be seen without ruler. and who cares? cayenne wheel even new one will be available not sooner as spring...

Old 09-21-2014, 12:50 PM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Serg124
read again what I wrote - "all electronics from macan, exept wheel itself - seem like bit bigger". electronics = clockspring, buttons, unit inside etc. size difference can't be seen without ruler. and who cares? cayenne wheel even new one will be available not sooner as spring...
The question is whether or not the current airbag will fit with the new wheel. Your description is not quite clear on that. :-)

Old 09-21-2014, 01:02 PM
I dont know that, but I beleive airbag should be new also. for me airbag is kinda last step - main thing is get buttons to work.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Serg, your english is pretty good! Just a little harder for us to follow, given the sentence structure.

While the airbag may be secondary to you, its THE most important thing to get right. Safety overrides all else especially related to this mod

Therefore, if the current model airbag is compatible with the new wheel, then the mod may be worth pursuing.

We certainly don't have enough facts yet from what i can tell.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by HOiYA
I'm heading into the dealer in a couple of weeks and will ask the service department for the details. I just wished the new wheel also came in deviated stitching.
Thanks HoiYa!
That would be outstanding!

Old 09-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Therefore, if the current model airbag is compatible with the new wheel, then the mod may be worth pursuing.

We certainly don't have enough facts yet from what i can tell.
do you know any tuning that worth its money?

Old 09-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Serg124
do you know any tuning that worth its money?
Haha.....good point.
If it ends up costing 5k to upgrade my steering wheel, I can convince myself its smarter to spend 50k on a new CTT.