Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Removing Front Pillar Panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Always Up will become famous soon enoughAlways Up will become famous soon enough
Removing Front Pillar Panel

I just got my transcend drivepro 200 dash cam, and would like to run the wire tucked into the headliner, then behind the front pillar panel, then into the fuse area.

Anybody have instructions for removing our panels? Things to be careful about? Couldnt really find diagrams online, seems our porsches are not very DIY friendly

Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
I believe there is a torx screw under the "AIRBAG" logo. Gently pry the logo out, remove the screw, and a couple of clips hold the rest of the pillar in. The clips break easily. Route the wire so that it doesn't get in the way of the air bag.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:20 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
XR4 is correct, but I never managed to get my AIRBAG logo off and tore it up a bit when I wired my V1.

How I routed my V1 to avoid the airbag was to tuck it into the headliner, run it down between the pillar and windshield, tuck it in around the bottom of the pillar and dash, and then you can drop it into the fuse area. As long as the cable isn't thick (the V1 cable uses standard telephone line) or inflexible you should probably be able to do the same. I used a trim puller tool to help push the cable into the gaps and you can't see it.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Always Up will become famous soon enoughAlways Up will become famous soon enough
Thank you for the responses, I actually think I can use the toureg diagrams, which are very abundant, and while I know cayenne =/= toureg, Im sure for little things like panels and the like, they would be more or less the same

Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 PM
bob242 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I believe there is a torx screw under the "AIRBAG" logo.
I think you are incorrect. I have had my pilar replaced because the clip came faulty from factory. It is all about clips but I remember my dealer telling me that the tricky part was that he had to remove the side of the dashboard side trim. I do think like the previous post that you can insert a small cable without removing the pilar. Or if you do not ned a lot of amps, you can get the juice from the mirror if it is autodiming. good luck

Old 11-15-2014, 07:26 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Not sure what your dealer was talking about as there is no "side" of the dash to remove. There is the fuse panel cover, but it just pulls of and doesn't need to be removed to get the A pillar off.

XR4 is correct.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:59 PM
bob242 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gnat
XR4 is correct.
Nope.
I was there watching when my dealer took off the pillar and replaced it with a new one.
He used no tools but a plastic square the size of a credit card.
It took him less than a minute.
He never touched the airbag logo.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM
I just semi installed my dash cam, and i believe bob242 is correct. I tried to remove the passenger side A pillar, and used an exorbitant amount of time and effort to try to pry the airbag logo off, and it still wouldn't come off. However, i pried it enough to see that there is no screw or screw hole under the logo.

Like gnat, my airbag logo is now looking beat up, with no results in prying it off.

so I just routed the wire from the head liner, inside the A pillar (Near the top) then into the weatherstripping, down to the fuse panel to the 12v to 5v regulator

trying to remove airbag emblem, to no avail, but through the gap, saw there is actually no screw

So, I just ran the wire around the top of the A Pillar, then into the weather stripping to fuse panel

Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
I apologize if your Airbag logo got damaged. That's how I remember them coming out, but it may be an Audi Q7 quirk that I'm remembering. The last 958 that I took pillars out of was a few years ago. The pillars had to come out before the dash could be removed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	958Dash.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	407848  
Old 11-17-2014, 08:00 PM

There has to be a story for that pic!

Old 11-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Oh it gets worse. There was a noise in the defroster vents and after tearing everything apart we found out it was just bad programming causing the defrost vent flaps to open at an angle that made a whistle while driving. Porsche sent over a flash to correct it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	958Dash2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	407906  
Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Wow. Hopefully it didn't add any rattles or squeaks that such disassembly often does. I thought mine having it's outside stripped off was bad, but that would have made me sick to look at

Old 11-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I apologize if your Airbag logo got damaged. That's how I remember them coming out, but it may be an Audi Q7 quirk that I'm remembering. The last 958 that I took pillars out of was a few years ago. The pillars had to come out before the dash could be removed.
No need to apologize, you even said "gently" pry it off, I was just enthusiastic in my approach. But at least now we all know

wow, like gnat said, I do hope there's no loose panels or broken clips associated with all that disassembly, and all that for a whistling noise

Old 11-19-2014, 12:46 PM
No squeaks or rattles. We did end up replacing a couple of pieces that got scratched in the process, but it was perfect when done.